FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Do you keep a journal? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Do you keep a journal? (/showthread.php?tid=53476)

Pages: 1 2

Do you keep a journal? - knittycat - 02-19-2012

Given that many of us seem to think modern society can't survive as it is for too much longer, do any of you keep a journal to record the 'decline and fall of rome' so to speak?  Do you keep track of your struggles and the attacks on the Church as they grow more and more overt?  And if you do, do you keep it for personal reasons, or do you hope that one day it will be read as a great chronicle of the times?

I gotta admit, I've toyed with the idea. But at the same time it seems kind of prideful too.

Re: Do you keep a journal? - Titus Alba - 02-19-2012

I've always been so bad at it that I stop before I even start.  I've been doing pretty well though, for once, with a journal I started for me to track my progress for my postulancy to the SSPX 3rd order.  I basically include my spiritual devotions and a little bit of info about what, if anything, I have done that may be fun or noteworthy etc, and sometimes my struggles and intentions of how to overcome them.  I also write down the key points to my meditations so that I can look back on it and recall really easily and clearly particular meditations.  Sometimes I write other things too, but usually most entries are very short.

I think a Christian, particularly a Catholic who finds my journal would find it useful and even entertaining.  I certainly enjoy seeing antique post-cards and journals even though I have no idea who the people are.  I love seeing the handwriting and reading the words of somebody perhaps dead a hundred years or more.  My journal is definitely not a chronicle of the times, but just a little picture of myself through a dark glass, face completely obscured.

Part of my inspiration to start journaling and keep doing it for once was a book that my wife has had since before I knew her but that she's never read.  She picked it up at B&N one time but never got to it.  It's called "Leaving a Trace" by Alexandra Johnson.  I thought, hey, I'll give this a read, and it was pretty nice.

Re: Do you keep a journal? - Spooky - 02-20-2012

I've kept a journal consistently since 1996.

Re: Do you keep a journal? - OCLittleFlower - 02-20-2012

I don't keep a formal journal.  I've tried, at various points in my life, but in general I don't do it.  I usually take a journal on long trips -- my father taught me to do so -- but I don't see much value in recording every day life unless something major is going on.  Handwriting is painful for me, so I avoid it as much as possible.  I do journal on my scrapbook pages, though.

Re: Do you keep a journal? - Historian - 02-20-2012

(02-19-2012, 09:33 PM)knittycat Wrote: Given that many of us seem to think modern society can't survive as it is for too much longer, do any of you keep a journal to record the 'decline and fall of rome' so to speak?  Do you keep track of your struggles and the attacks on the Church as they grow more and more overt?  And if you do, do you keep it for personal reasons, or do you hope that one day it will be read as a great chronicle of the times?

I gotta admit, I've toyed with the idea. But at the same time it seems kind of prideful too.

I think writing on a blog can be seen as a form of journal, although, I write for the purpose of education and reinforcing knowledge for myself and perhaps those who read it.

Re: Do you keep a journal? - Landelinus - 02-20-2012

I do keep a journal - though not as religiously as I should.  I find it very helpful spiritually, psychologically, and in general for "sorting things out" about our crazy world.  I don't think it's any more prideful to think it might be of interest to someone than posting on FE would be prideful.  My 2 cents anyway.

Re: Do you keep a journal? - Historian - 02-20-2012

I decided that if my written works will be of interest to the future, I should try to cause some confusion in the future.

As such, I write on things which are robust about the alien invasion and the rise of Mudkips. The uncovering of the Shoggoth in the early 21st century in Iraq and the subsequent attempt to cover it up is also a major theme.

Now that would be fun (in a cosmic sense).

Re: Do you keep a journal? - Landelinus - 02-20-2012

(02-20-2012, 11:35 AM)su Wrote: I decided that if my written works will be of interest to the future, I should try to cause some confusion in the future.

As such, I write on things which are robust about the alien invasion and the rise of Mudkips. The uncovering of the Shoggoth in the early 21st century in Iraq and the subsequent attempt to cover it up is also a major theme.

You could probably make some money off of that in the pseudo-non-fiction market.  I mean, if Dan Brown's books can sell so many copies, anything's possible.  :)

Re: Do you keep a journal? - Jacob - 02-20-2012

My notebook is pretty much made up of notes and things I want to remember.  I don't consistently write entries except on things of great import.

Re: Do you keep a journal? - knittycat - 02-20-2012

(02-20-2012, 11:35 AM)su Wrote: I decided that if my written works will be of interest to the future, I should try to cause some confusion in the future.

I believe that has been done...scientology anyone ;)