FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Intellectualism or Athleticism? (/showthread.php?tid=54390)

Pages: 1 2

Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Traditional Guy - 04-10-2012

What do you think is more important or noble, the exercise of the mind or the exercise of the body?

(No just pick one don't say both.)

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Pilgrim - 04-10-2012

Exercise of the mind.  However, I'm a history teacher, so I'm biased...  :)

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Phillipus Iacobus - 04-10-2012

A healthy mind is a must.

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Scriptorium - 04-10-2012

The mind, of course. But the body supports the mind, so a good healthy body aids the spiritual life greatly.

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Grasshopper - 04-10-2012

(04-10-2012, 12:53 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: The mind, of course. But the body supports the mind, so a good healthy body aids the spiritual life greatly.

This. A lot of top-level chess players make a point of getting regular physical exercise. The mind cannot do its best work in an unhealthy body.

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Traditional Guy - 04-10-2012

(04-10-2012, 09:57 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: Exercise of the mind.  However, I'm a history teacher, so I'm biased...  :)

Think about this though. In any sort of physical activity the boy who trains with iron will beat the stay-at-home intellectual.

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - per_passionem_eius - 04-10-2012

(04-10-2012, 09:57 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: Exercise of the mind.  However, I'm a history teacher, so I'm biased...  :)

Ditto. Except the bias: mine is that I'm Catholic!

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Pilgrim - 04-11-2012

(04-10-2012, 06:47 PM)Traditional Guy Wrote:

Think about this though. In any sort of physical activity the boy who trains with iron will beat the stay-at-home intellectual.

Which is why I fence on the weekends...  :grin:

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - Arun - 04-22-2012

rather than be an intellectual and know many things, I would prefer to have wisdom and understand fully the few things I do know.

Athleticism (in terms of fitness, agility, and general good health) would, to me as a working class layman, be more important.

it's subjective, of course - highly so.

Re: Intellectualism or Athleticism? - INPEFESS - 04-22-2012

Some of the early Greek philosophers thought that perfection was to be sought in both. If you approach it from this angle, I would agree, but from a purely Christian angle, I would say that health of the mind reigns supreme. Some of the greatest saints weren't the most physically well-off, especially when they lived only on the Holy Eucharist and were bed-ridden. They spent their time serving their neighbor and maintained their needs only insofar as it was necessary to maintain the needs of others.