FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Jesuits and Vegetarianism - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Jesuits and Vegetarianism (/showthread.php?tid=54993)

Pages: 1 2

Jesuits and Vegetarianism - LoyalVIews - 05-08-2012

I was told that Jesuits live a completely vegetarian diet, for penance. Is that true? I've known many Jesuits....but it never occurred to me to ask them what they eat  ???

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - jovan66102 - 05-08-2012

Never heard of that. I know one or two of the mediaeval Orders did. I think the Camaldolese were one of them.

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - drummerboy - 05-08-2012

(05-08-2012, 03:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Never heard of that. I know one or two of the mediaeval Orders did. I think the Camaldolese were one of them.

This probably had alot to do with chastity and controlling sexual passions as well though.  Cassian wrote an entire conference on stopping nocturnal emissions, and it was considered a sign of great sanctity to achieve this, so they took that stuff very seriously.

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - moneil - 05-08-2012

(05-08-2012, 03:34 PM)LoyalVIews Wrote: I was told that Jesuits live a completely vegetarian diet, for penance. Is that true? I've known many Jesuits....but it never occurred to me to ask them what they eat  ???

(05-08-2012, 03:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Never heard of that. I know one or two of the mediaeval Orders did. I think the Camaldolese were one of them.

I don’t think so.  My father had two cousins who were pre VII Jesuits who were occasionally at our home for meals and I don’t recall any special dietary issues (they ate what we ate).  I know Jesuits today eat meat.  It could be that during their formation process (Noviate and Scholasticate) there were certain dietary disciplines, but the former Jesuit Scholasticate in Spokane (Mount St. Michaels, now a CMRI parish and school) had its own dairy herd and butcher shop, which also supplied the refectories and cafeterias at Gonzaga University.

I believe that certain monastic orders (I’m thinking of the Trappists, and some others probable) don’t eat meat, or do so only on special feast days, but consume eggs and dairy products.

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - MRose - 05-08-2012

The monks at St. Benedict of Norcia in Italy only eat meat on Christmas Easter, and American Thanksgiving (even though it is in Italy, most of the monks are Americans).

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - mga - 05-08-2012

the Dominicans and the Benedictine's don't eat meat! at least the traditional orders in the Society. Jesuits aren't obliged to perpetually abstain like these orders.

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - Phillipus Iacobus - 05-09-2012

(05-08-2012, 11:04 PM)mga Wrote: the Dominicans and the Benedictine's don't eat meat! at least the traditional orders in the Society. Jesuits aren't obliged to perpetually abstain like these orders.

Dominicans had to abstain?

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - mga - 05-09-2012

well, according to the traditional rule... technically they eat what is placed before them.

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - Cetil - 05-09-2012

Never heard that. I went to a Jesuit high school in the sixties and they had a fancy dining room and the beer truck made BIG deliveries once a week too. OK, some might think beer a vegetable.
Most Jesuits these days should be forced to eat CROW!

C.

Re: Jesuits and Vegetarianism - GeorgeT - 05-09-2012

Traditional Carmelites maintain a vegetarian diet.

There's a story about a famous Carmelite mother superior. When one of the nuns would start receiving visions the mother superior would order her to eat meat just to make sure she was not hallucinating.