FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary (/showthread.php?tid=55405)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - Gerard - 05-24-2012

There will be many badly formed priests coming out of this appointment. (well..maybe not too many depending on the enrollment.)

http://patrickmadrid.com/fr-robert-barron-named-new-rector-and-president-of-chicagos-mundelein-seminary/

Quote:Fr. Robert Barron named new rector and president of Chicago’s Mundelein Seminary
May 10, 2012 by Patrick Madrid 
Filed under Patrick's Blog
5 Comments

This is welcome and not entirely unexpected news, given Father Barron’s meteoric ascendancy in the Catholic media world, especially on the strength of his impressive tour-de-force video series “Catholicism” and accompanying book. With a doctorate in sacred theology from the Institut Catholique de Paris, a slew of scholarly yet accessible books on the Catholic Faith, and 20 years of experience as a professor of theology at Chicago’s Mundelein (University of Our Lady of the Lake) Seminary, he is well suited to take the helm at this prestigious school. One may forgiven for wondering if his star will continue to rise, transiting, perhaps, into the episcopal firmament. God knows we need many more effective, indefatigable, and doctrinally orthodox  teachers of the Faith. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to Father Barron, ad astra!

Strange that Patrick Madrid implies that Fr. Barron is orthodox.  The fella denies the existence of Adam and Eve, holds to ideas on salvation completely at odds with the Catholic Church not to mention Our Lord in Scripture. And he believes the Ascension " the Ascension of Jesus has nothing to do with a literal journey into the stratosphere,".

Re: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - CollegeCatholic - 05-24-2012

This entire post reads like the news story "Dog bites man."

Re: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - Allan - 05-24-2012

I actually liked his DVD series Catholicism.  If one believes in an incremental back-tracking approach to reclaiming tradition, his series goes a long way to undoing much of the theological nonsense out there now.

For example, in one of the episodes Fr. Barron does a really good hatchet job on open heretic Fr. Richard "Dick" McBrien on the issue of eucharistic adoration. 

Re: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - Magdalene - 05-24-2012

Yes, Father Barron is a Novus Ordo priest but he is a good one.  We are watching "Catholicism" at my parish and I am finding it beautiful.  Yes, he has some quotes from some sources I would never use.  But he is certainly a step in the right direction from what has been the case at Mundelein.  Brick by brick and if he will be sensitive to the wishes of our Holy Father, he will introduce training for the Tridentine Mass at the seminary.

Father Barron is highly regarded and respected.  Let us hope the enemy does not bring him down as has happened with so many famous priests in these past years.

Re: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - Gerard - 05-24-2012

(05-24-2012, 11:45 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: This entire post reads like the news story "Dog bites man."

I posted it as a warning to the pollyanna types who believe that authentic Catholic teaching is dominating the seminaries nowadays. 

Re: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - CollegeCatholic - 05-24-2012

(05-24-2012, 12:12 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 11:45 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: This entire post reads like the news story "Dog bites man."

I posted it as a warning to the pollyanna types who believe that authentic Catholic teaching is dominating the seminaries nowadays. 

People can't actually be as stupid as to believe that, can they?

Re: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - Freudentaumel - 05-24-2012

(05-24-2012, 11:38 AM)Gerard Wrote: Strange that Patrick Madrid implies that Fr. Barron is orthodox.  The fella denies the existence of Adam and Eve, holds to ideas on salvation completely at odds with the Catholic Church not to mention Our Lord in Scripture. And he believes the Ascension " the Ascension of Jesus has nothing to do with a literal journey into the stratosphere,".
Do you believe that the Ascension was a literal journey into the stratosphere?

Re: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - Old Salt - 05-24-2012

(05-24-2012, 11:38 AM)Gerard Wrote: There will be many badly formed priests coming out of this appointment. (well..maybe not too many depending on the enrollment.)

http://patrickmadrid.com/fr-robert-barron-named-new-rector-and-president-of-chicagos-mundelein-seminary/

Quote:Fr. Robert Barron named new rector and president of Chicago’s Mundelein Seminary
May 10, 2012 by Patrick Madrid   
Filed under Patrick's Blog
5 Comments

This is welcome and not entirely unexpected news, given Father Barron’s meteoric ascendancy in the Catholic media world, especially on the strength of his impressive tour-de-force video series “Catholicism” and accompanying book. With a doctorate in sacred theology from the Institut Catholique de Paris, a slew of scholarly yet accessible books on the Catholic Faith, and 20 years of experience as a professor of theology at Chicago’s Mundelein (University of Our Lady of the Lake) Seminary, he is well suited to take the helm at this prestigious school. One may forgiven for wondering if his star will continue to rise, transiting, perhaps, into the episcopal firmament. God knows we need many more effective, indefatigable, and doctrinally orthodox  teachers of the Faith. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to Father Barron, ad astra!

Strange that Patrick Madrid implies that Fr. Barron is orthodox.  The fella denies the existence of Adam and Eve, holds to ideas on salvation completely at odds with the Catholic Church not to mention Our Lord in Scripture. And he believes the Ascension " the Ascension of Jesus has nothing to do with a literal journey into the stratosphere,".
Could you please cite me a quote or reference to where Fr Barron denies the existence of Adam and Eve?
If so, there is no original sin.

Re: Modernist Fr. Robert Barron placed in charge of Chicago Seminary - Gerard - 05-24-2012

(05-24-2012, 12:05 PM)Magdalene Wrote: Yes, Father Barron is a Novus Ordo priest but he is a good one.  We are watching "Catholicism" at my parish and I am finding it beautiful.  Yes, he has some quotes from some sources I would never use.  But he is certainly a step in the right direction from what has been the case at Mundelein.  Brick by brick and if he will be sensitive to the wishes of our Holy Father, he will introduce training for the Tridentine Mass at the seminary.

Father Barron is highly regarded and respected.  Let us hope the enemy does not bring him down as has happened with so many famous priests in these past years.

The series "Catholicism" may be watchable, but that doesn't make Fr. Barron a good priest.  He has been deliberately and artificially lifted up into the spotlight precisely because he has an attractive style and personality and he is not orthodox in his beliefs.  But he is the quintessential modernist.  His video may not have problems but his articles, sermons and youtube videos are terrible for a Catholic to learn from. 

I've pointed out that there has been a deliberate attempt to persecute orthodox priests in the Church (not just trads, but Vatican II-believing, JPII loving, Novus Ordo saying priests)  in order to create a place for guys like Fr. Barron. 
I would state outright that I believe it's a demonic strategy and not a direct conspiracy.  Fr. Euteneaur fell by his own admission, Fr. Corapi either fell or was drummed out depending on where  you fall on that one.  Fr. Pavone is obviously fighting right now, to prevent himself from being neutralized.  You could even add Fr. Rodriquez (now a trad) and Fr. Guarnizo as only becoming prominent because of orthodox behavior being punished. 

(05-24-2012, 12:19 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: Do you believe that the Ascension was a literal journey into the stratosphere?

I don't know about the stratosphere, I don't think the Church has ruled on the actual height that Christ achieved before he was enveloped by the cloud.  I would definitely say the Church has defined the Ascension as having something essential to do with Jesus' physical body rising into the atmosphere (at least the troposphere) relative to the Apostles' position on the ground.

Fr. Barron rules that out in favor of poetry and some other vague phenomena that he doesn't seem to want to clarify, but we know he says it has "nothing" to do with Christ's physical body taking a journey skyward.