FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
My Introduction Post - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome Wagon (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Announcements, Welcomes, Goodbyes, & Forum Problems (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: My Introduction Post (/showthread.php?tid=55529)

Pages: 1 2

My Introduction Post - Beardly - 05-30-2012

These introduction threads always seem to manifest themselves as a declaration of one's own existence to the members of the particular forum which one has joined. In an attempt to avoid wasting server space, I'll just explain why I decided to join these forums, after lurking here for months.

I joined the Church two and a half weeks ago, having left behind my previous religious and political views (Neo-Anabaptist anarcho-communism, or some such heresy), because I realized that, if Christianity is true, then it is true in the form of Catholicism, and not some weird made-up mysticism of the 16th century, molded to fit a new worldview in the 1970's (I'm speaking specifically of Anabaptism here). I also realized, in my hatred of individualism, that there could be no real alternative to individualism without submission to an authority. After those two realizations, everything else started to fall into place, and I was confirmed (I had been baptized in a Southern Baptist church as a kid, so I didn't have to wait until next Easter to enter)

The parish I attended while away at college (where I converted) was rather conservative, or the priest was, anyways. He is a Novus Ordo priest, but Mass at this parish is always reverent. There are no guitars, no "liturgical dance," and none of the other things that happen at NO masses that ought not to happen. But it is more than what the priest does not do. The priest there sincerely believes all the truths which the Catholic church teaches, and acts upon that belief; he is, in short, a good priest.

And that's what I expected at all Masses when I came home from school for the Summer. Yes, I'd heard about charismatic Catholics, and some vague rumblings about liturgical abuses, but I'd never expected that the kind of Mass I attended at school was actually rare, or offered as a special Mass with a "traditional choir," alongside a slew of bastardized Masses, as if reverence were a choice in one's personal spirituality. Thus, when I go home and find that almost every Mass in my immediate area seems more protestant than Catholic, that every parish has a "contemporary choir" or a "band ministry" with guitars and worship songs, like "Come, Now is the Time to Worship," being played as people re walking down the communion line, and female alter servers, and applause during the Mass and after the "special music" is over, I am, I think quite understandably, rather pissed. While the substance of the Mass is still Catholic, in that the Eucharist is a valid Eucharist, the same can be said of a theoretical "Black Mass," and I'm pretty sure it's not healthy for the soul to attend either a Protestantized Mass or a Black Mass.

Thus, I started going to the nearest TLM (about a thirty minute drive), not because I am a "Latin Mass Only" kind of person, but because the Blessed Sacrament is given the reverence it deserves. On this point, I'm rather wary of calling myself a traditionalist, for I do not say that should not attend a Novus Ordo Mass. Rather, I say that one should attend a reverent Mass, celebrated by a priest who will not preach heresy during his sermon (i.e., a priest who only celebrates Masses reverently). Perhaps the TLM is objectively better than the NO. I wouldn't doubt it. However, I cannot claim to know the truth of such a claim, and, consequently, will not make any remark. What I do know, however, is that the Novus Ordo can be done much more reverently than it is--that is to say, the Novus Ordo is most often not done reverently at all, but can be.

However, if there is something inherent in the vernacular which encourages irreverent attitudes, then I say do away with it. It's better to lose the understanding of the words than the understanding of what they are speaking about.

However, I don't think that is necessary. Consequently, I am not willing to call myself a traditionalist. A traditional Catholic, yes, but not a traditionalist, because that has more implications than I am willing to accept. I might be proven to be wrong, which is part of the reason I joined these forums.

Anyways, I look forward to writing substantially shorter posts in the future, as this takes way too much time.

Edit: Also, echoing another introduction thread, I'm not much a fan of being told "congratulations" or "Welcome home" with reference to joining the Catholic Church. The former phrase was spoiled for me when, after my first communion, a bunch of people congratulated me. My reaction, which I kept to myself, was that this was insane. I just ate the Body of Christ, and I'm being congratulated? That's like congratulating Moses for seeing the Burning Bush, or congratulating Peter, James, and John for witnessing the Transfiguration. As for the latter--"Welcome home"--what happens in the sacrament of confirmation does not fit with such phrases. "What the f**k just happened" is probably a better response all around (pardon the language, but it's true).

Re: My Introduction Post - GloriaPatri - 05-30-2012

Welcome to the Tank Beardly!  :tiphat:

Re: My Introduction Post - Pheo - 05-30-2012

Welcome to FE, Beardly.

The story of your transition from NO to TLM sounds similar to my own, so I was happy to be reminded of some of my own reasons for exclusively assisting at the TLM.  Can't say I miss the Protestant songs and general irreverence taking place in front of the King of Kings.  Pure liturgical dissonance.

Re: My Introduction Post - MRose - 05-31-2012

Welcome to FE. I am relatively new here too.

Likely more interesting to you is that I am a recent convert from Protestantism and as I studied more and more, moved toward Traditional Catholicism.
More interesting is that shortly before I converted, I was quite "into" anarcho-primitivism and was sympathetic to anabaptism and spent a decent bit of time around an anabaptist "intentional christian community."

Thus, I resonate with your realizations about true authority vis a vis individualism and community.

You might also be interested in Distributist economics. Thoroughly Catholic, and I have found it to be the Catholic seal on part of what I had tried to find in anarcho-primitivism, purifying the hazy picture I had, adding good, and dispelling error.

Feel free to PM more if you want to chat!

Re: My Introduction Post - INPEFESS - 05-31-2012

Make yourself at home! Your are very welcome here.  :monstrance:

Re: My Introduction Post - DrBombay - 05-31-2012

Beardly, eh?  I hope this doesn't imply you have a beard.  Or long hair either.  If you do, get a haircut and a shave you hippie.

And since you don't want a welcome or a congratulations, I will just say it's about time you got your ass in the Church.  And try not to make a mess, will you?  And stay away from the teenage girls too. 

That's about it.  :bronxcheer:

Re: My Introduction Post - Ravenonthecross - 05-31-2012

Hi! Take a seat and make yourself at home, here in the 'Tank! :tiphat:

Re: My Introduction Post - Beardly - 05-31-2012

Quote:I will just say it's about time you got your ass in the Church
Thank you.

Re: My Introduction Post - Mithrandylan - 05-31-2012

(05-31-2012, 02:14 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Beardly, eh?  I hope this doesn't imply you have a beard.  Or long hair either.  If you do, get a haircut and a shave you hippie.

And since you don't want a welcome or a congratulations, I will just say it's about time you got your ass in the Church.  And try not to make a mess, will you?  And stay away from the teenage girls too. 

That's about it.   :bronxcheer:

<i>S'cuse</i> me?  Bombay's just jealous.  everyone knows that beards and long hair are patently Catholic.

And Beardly, I second the notion about getting your ass in the Church.  Your reason for coming (here, or to the Church) is consonant with many (and probably most) trads who weren't raised Catholic.  God bless you.

Re: My Introduction Post - Phillipus Iacobus - 05-31-2012

Welcome