FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Gone for a week - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome Wagon (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Announcements, Welcomes, Goodbyes, & Forum Problems (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Gone for a week (/showthread.php?tid=56747)

Pages: 1 2

Gone for a week - JayneK - 07-21-2012

I am leaving tomorrow for a Latin immersion course.  I don't think I'll have Internet access, but if I do get a chance to post, it will have to be in Latin. 

I'm going to be flying which I do not do often.  I am very afraid of flying and heights in general.  I will appreciate any prayers you can spare that I cope with my fear in a godly way.

Re: Gone for a week - Historian - 07-21-2012

(07-21-2012, 08:36 AM)JayneK Wrote: I am leaving tomorrow for a Latin immersion course.  I don't think I'll have Internet access, but if I do get a chance to post, it will have to be in Latin. 
Contribute to Latin Wikipedia...good time for practice writing and reading: http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagina_prima

Quote:I am very afraid of flying and heights in general. 
Most land based mammals are ;)

You'll be fine.

Tell the TSA you have a "missal" with you. They'll have the most hilarious reaction which will keep you occupied for the duration of the flight (although, you may not be on it).

Quote:I will appreciate any prayers you can spare that I cope with my fear in a godly way.
I'll send a couple your way.

Re: Gone for a week - joe17 - 07-21-2012

Hope and pray you have a safe trip.

As to the the slip of the tongue alluded to above, I actually did that a couple of years ago flying out of LAX.  A new trainee had to go through my bag.  When she took out my book with the zippered cover on it, she asked what it was.  I said it was a missal.  She looked at me and said "what" with surprise.  I said it is a prayer book, like a bible and told her to open it. Thankfully, I did not say it to loud and there was a bit of noise around us.  She looked and I was all set to go afterwards.  I am very careful now when I answer questions like this.

Joe

Re: Gone for a week - Phillipus Iacobus - 07-21-2012

Note to self: never say I brought a missal to the airport!

Re: Gone for a week - EcceQuamBonum - 07-21-2012

(07-21-2012, 08:36 AM)JayneK Wrote: I will appreciate any prayers you can spare that I cope with my fear in a godly way.

The answer, of course, is to have a friend administer the A-Team treatment:

Prayers for your trip.  (Several, since I've hijacked the post for a corny A-Team reference.)  Vale, et itinera tuta!  (Equo volanti, no less...  :P)

Re: Gone for a week - JayneK - 07-21-2012

Thanks for the prayers, all.  They already did me some good because I realized that I could face flying more calmly if I went to Confession today.  So I did.

I had been thinking of leaving my missal at home in order to save on baggage weight (I think I can borrow one there).  After seeing this thread, I don't want to lose the opportunity to say that I got a missal through Customs. :)

Valete omnes.

Re: Gone for a week - OCLittleFlower - 07-21-2012

I hope you enjoy your course, Jayne.  :)

Re: Gone for a week - NOtard - 07-22-2012

Since Jayne's gone for a week, I'm sure she won't mind if I totally derail this thread.  :grin:

Talk of confession preparing one for situations always reminds me of January 1990, when Lithuania had declared its independence but the Soviet Union was having none of that. The Soviet army attacked both the parliament building and the Vilnius TV tower, but the people stood around them and blocked the tanks with their bodies (and, unfortunately, the Soviet tanks went ahead anyway and about 14 or 15 people died at the TV tower (including, I heard, one tank driver who refused to drive into the crowd, and was shot by his tank commander)).

Anyway, sometime around then, I remember seeing a brief TV sound bite of Vytautas Lansbergis (the elected Lithuanian leader) at the Parliament building, saying something like "We are prepared to stay here and die if necessary. WE HAVE ALL BEEN TO CONFESSION." I don't remember that sentence being translated into English on the TV, but when I heard him put it that way, I knew he was serious!

It took another year and a half for the Soviet Union to really fall apart, and the barricades to stop the tanks were still there when we went to Vilnius in 1992. But that statement, "we have all been to confession, we are prepared to die" still sends shivers up my spine when I think about it.

Re: Gone for a week - LongfellowDeeds - 07-22-2012

(07-21-2012, 02:35 PM)joe17 Wrote: Hope and pray you have a safe trip.

As to the the slip of the tongue alluded to above, I actually did that a couple of years ago flying out of LAX.  A new trainee had to go through my bag.  When she took out my book with the zippered cover on it, she asked what it was.  I said it was a missal.  She looked at me and said "what" with surprise.  I said it is a prayer book, like a bible and told her to open it. Thankfully, I did not say it to loud and there was a bit of noise around us.  She looked and I was all set to go afterwards.  I am very careful now when I answer questions like this.

Joe

The Missal: A Weapon of Mass Instruction

Re: Gone for a week - LongfellowDeeds - 07-22-2012

I'll pray to St. Joseph of Cupertino for you, Jayne. Let us know how the course went. Who's hosting the course, by the way?