FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Should I have abstained from H. Communion - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Questions about Traditional Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Should I have abstained from H. Communion (/showthread.php?tid=56791)

Pages: 1 2 3

Should I have abstained from H. Communion - moonlight1987 - 07-24-2012

Now that I have no work anymore I would like to go to communion every day.
I confessed the day before however just before Mass started it came to my mind that I forgot to confess that I drunk a bit too much. I try not to drink more than 1/3 and I drunk half a liter beer. Something inside of me said I should't take communion because I receive the Lord unworthy, then I tried to comfort myself with the thaught that I was not even sure if I commited a mortal sin and that it was nonsens that I think that drinking a little too much is grave matter. At the end I decided to take communion since my priest told me the churche advices to do so if you are not 100% sure that it was grave matter. Could I have sinned by taking the communion?

Re: Should I have abstained from H. Communion - jovan66102 - 07-24-2012

No. Even if it was a sin to drink a half litre, which I couldn't imagine unless you've taken a vow, you honestly forgot to confess it. The sin, if any, was forgiven by your absolution. Rejoice in the graces of your Communion!

Re: Should I have abstained from H. Communion - TS Aquinas - 07-24-2012

(07-24-2012, 03:36 AM)moonlight1987 Wrote: Now that I have no work anymore I would like to go to communion every day.
I confessed the day before however just before Mass started it came to my mind that I forgot to confess that I drunk a bit too much. I try not to drink more than 1/3 and I drunk half a liter beer. Something inside of me said I should't take communion because I receive the Lord unworthy, then I tried to comfort myself with the thaught that I was not even sure if I commited a mortal sin and that it was nonsens that I think that drinking a little too much is grave matter. At the end I decided to take communion since my priest told me the churche advices to do so if you are not 100% sure that it was grave matter. Could I have sinned by taking the communion?

Only a sin if it was American beer.  :P

Re: Should I have abstained from H. Communion - Starry Plough - 07-24-2012

That hurt.

Re: Should I have abstained from H. Communion - Melkite - 07-24-2012

TS, I think you are on to something.  Is their anything in the bible or the fathers that would lead us to believe the consumption of American beer is the unforgivable sin Jesus spoke of?

Re: Should I have abstained from H. Communion - newyorkcatholic - 07-24-2012

(07-24-2012, 07:17 AM)Melkite Wrote: TS, I think you are on to something.  Is their anything in the bible or the fathers that would lead us to believe the consumption of American beer is the unforgivable sin Jesus spoke of?

I don't know about the unforgivable sin, but it is participating in scandal and deception.  American "beer" isn't "beer," therefore it's a lie and must be exposed, not promoted.

(There are exceptions, and there is very good local American beer ...  but Budweiser, Michelob, Miller ... not beer).

(07-24-2012, 09:24 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: I don't know about the unforgivable sin, but it is participating in scandal and deception.  American "beer" isn't "beer," therefore it's a lie and must be exposed, not promoted.

(There are exceptions, and there is very good local American beer ...  but Budweiser, Michelob, Miller ... not beer).

LOL.  The first time I drank beer was when I was in Russia, so I got used to European beer before I ever knew what American beer was.  When I came back, I was invited to a 4th of July party, to a typical German stock family where beer is served at every family gathering.  I took one sip of the beer, and before I had a chance to think, spit it out and blurted "What the hell is this, beer flavored water?"  I think a ruffled a few feathers....  :Hmm:

Re: Should I have abstained from H. Communion - NOtard - 07-24-2012

But if it was a German stock family, then they should have known what beer is.  Or maybe they had become so assimilated that they no longer remembered that part of their tradition.

I'm just waiting for someone to make a comment like "Budweiser, Michelob, Miller -- the Novus Ordo of beer"  :grin:

(07-24-2012, 09:43 AM)NOtard Wrote: But if it was a German stock family, then they should have known what beer is.  Or maybe they had become so assimilated that they no longer remembered that part of their tradition.

I'm just waiting for someone to make a comment like "Budweiser, Michelob, Miller -- the Novus Ordo of beer"  :grin:

Oh, yeah, they were definitely assimilated.  In Maryland, many people are of German heritage, and the only thing we seem to really remember about our heritage is sauerkraut.  And even then, not that often.

Re: Should I have abstained from H. Communion - newyorkcatholic - 07-24-2012

Budweiser, Michelob, Miller -- the Novus Ordo of beer