FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren (/showthread.php?tid=58322)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - Scriptorium - 10-02-2012

(10-02-2012, 06:56 PM)Pheo Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 04:10 AM)ByrnePerfection Wrote: "The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you,
Not in a mansion of wood and stone.
Split a piece of wood and God is there,
Lift a stone and you will find God."

Well this is a stupid quote.  Thanks for sharing!

Gospel of Thomas.

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - JuniorCouncilor - 10-02-2012

It might be more worthwhile to preach the need to pray for the Protestants' conversion.

For myself, I shan't be envious of any Protestant church, certainly-- any good they have is good they got from the Catholic Church and just didn't throw away.  Now, if an individual Protestant managed to follow Catholic doctrine better than I did on a given point, yes, I might be tempted to be envious.  But it doesn't happen all that often.

Far more often I pity them for the great gifts they lack.

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - Pheo - 10-02-2012

(10-02-2012, 07:16 PM)Scriptorium Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 04:10 AM)ByrnePerfection Wrote: "The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you,

Gospel of Thomas.

The Google told me that too.  It's a rejected semi-gnostic book for a reason!

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - SouthpawLink - 10-02-2012

(10-02-2012, 07:16 PM)Scriptorium Wrote:

Gospel of Thomas.

Yes, and it's shown at the end of Stigmata, a movie which starred, you guessed it, Gabriel Byrne.

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - Scriptorium - 10-02-2012

(10-02-2012, 10:26 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: Yes, and it's shown at the end of Stigmata, a movie which starred, you guessed it, Gabriel Byrne.

Yes, that movie was a load, if you know what I mean.

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - Gerard - 10-02-2012

(10-02-2012, 01:58 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 01:52 PM)Richard C Wrote: Thanks, Southpaw. I really think I understand the passages better for reading those writings of the Fathers.

No problem, Richard!  I figured posting that would be more constructive than criticizing the Holy Father's message.

It's both constructive and by comparison illustrative of the problem in the papacy.  Criticism  is not intrinsically destructive, criticizing something because there is a problem is an act of charity.

If someone is telling you about the "Last Temptation of Christ" and they only tell you the orthodox parts and then someone comes along and fills in the gaps and tells you about the rest, that's a good thing.  If they further tell you to go see "The Passion of the Christ" that's a bonus.

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - ByrnePerfection - 10-03-2012

Rejected because the church is a blind bat. Though nevermind that-I believe that quote to be true. As well, since I don't go to a 'trad' mass-the my priests have essentially said that before several times in their homilies-and it makes total sense. I mean that God is everywhere-in us and all around us. I love that quote and I believe it and really there's not that much difference between gnostic teachings and Catholic teachings. I have read the bible several times-I also skimmed-the gnostic bible while I was at Barnes&Noble with my mom-she kind of encouraged me to go ahead-especially since I think it was after we had seen The Da Vinci Code. And Stigmata is one of my favourite films as is End of Days-but enough on that....main point is that one does not necessairly have to go to a church for Jesus. Though that hour and a half of silence/meditation is a good thing-which does wonders&in my case I also like singing with my choir

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - mikemac - 10-03-2012

(10-03-2012, 06:11 AM)ByrnePerfection Wrote: Rejected because the church is a blind bat. Though nevermind that-I believe that quote to be true. As well, since I don't go to a 'trad' mass-the my priests have essentially said that before several times in their homilies-and it makes total sense. I mean that God is everywhere-in us and all around us. I love that quote and I believe it and really there's not that much difference between gnostic teachings and Catholic teachings. I have read the bible several times-I also skimmed-the gnostic bible while I was at Barnes&Noble with my mom-she kind of encouraged me to go ahead-especially since I think it was after we had seen The Da Vinci Code. And Stigmata is one of my favourite films as is End of Days-but enough on that....main point is that one does not necessairly have to go to a church for Jesus. Though that hour and a half of silence/meditation is a good thing-which does wonders&in my case I also like singing with my choir

The problem with this quote from the gnostic gospel of Thomas is that some will start to think that we don't need to go to Mass to receive the Holy Eucharist.  A former fallen friend that I used to go speckled trout fishing with used to say "this is God's cathedral" when we were fishing along side the trout creek.  The big problem is that he was saying God was there along side the trout creek rather than in a Catholic Church with the Tabernacle that holds the Eucharist.  John chapter 6 will show you just how much we do need to receive the Holy Eucharist.  There must be better movies for a young girl to watch rather than The Da Vinci Code, Stigmata and End of Days.  Don't believe everything you watch in a Hollywood movie.   

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - Scriptorium - 10-03-2012

(10-03-2012, 06:11 AM)ByrnePerfection Wrote: Rejected because the church is a blind bat. Though nevermind that-I believe that quote to be true. As well, since I don't go to a 'trad' mass-the my priests have essentially said that before several times in their homilies-and it makes total sense. I mean that God is everywhere-in us and all around us. I love that quote and I believe it and really there's not that much difference between gnostic teachings and Catholic teachings. I have read the bible several times-I also skimmed-the gnostic bible while I was at Barnes&Noble with my mom-she kind of encouraged me to go ahead-especially since I think it was after we had seen The Da Vinci Code. And Stigmata is one of my favourite films as is End of Days-but enough on that....main point is that one does not necessairly have to go to a church for Jesus. Though that hour and a half of silence/meditation is a good thing-which does wonders&in my case I also like singing with my choir

Have you become a male yet, to go to heaven?

Also if God is everywhere, he is in a mansion of wood and stone too.

Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - SouthpawLink - 10-03-2012

(10-02-2012, 11:36 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 01:58 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 01:52 PM)Richard C Wrote: Thanks, Southpaw. I really think I understand the passages better for reading those writings of the Fathers.

No problem, Richard!  I figured posting that would be more constructive than criticizing the Holy Father's message.

It's both constructive and by comparison illustrative of the problem in the papacy.  Criticism  is not intrinsically destructive, criticizing something because there is a problem is an act of charity.

If someone is telling you about the "Last Temptation of Christ" and they only tell you the orthodox parts and then someone comes along and fills in the gaps and tells you about the rest, that's a good thing.  If they further tell you to go see "The Passion of the Christ" that's a bonus.

I completely agree with you.  Your example reminds me of the post I had planned on making:  It appears as if Pope Benedict only ever speaks of what's good about Protestantism (he doesn't even think they should be called heretics anymore), rather than emphasizing their urgent need to convert to the Catholic Faith for the sake of their salvation.

As you implied earlier, it's obvious that actual grace and good works are to be found outside the Church (cf. Denz. 1025, 1027, 1379, 1388.).