FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? (/showthread.php?tid=58773)

Pages: 1 2 3

Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - Unum Sint - 10-24-2012

I ask this question in full seriousness as I have before asked people here, I believe twice, about pagan believes and what we as Christians should make of them.

Of course to clarify I would say that when I mean paganism I mean religious or believed based manifestations of the world outside the revelation of the true God beginning with the Jews and then continuing with the Church. I do not mean the new age crap, or the neo-paganism of today. I mean ancient or rather imperfect believes on something beyond us and their rituals.

For example we look at the different cultures and set of believes around the world and the similarities to the Faith in some ways and the radical differences in others yet at the same time they keep a certain sense of familiarity. I guess the most fascinating thing about it is the reach or rather how man stretches out to touch the idea of what we know now to be God and how close and yet far he falls without the benefit of His (God's) manifestation other than in the natural law around him which is universal.

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - Spooky - 10-24-2012

You're probably ok but try to spend twice as much time reading good Catholic sources as you study paganism. Like, if you spend 1 hour reading about 5th century Hinduism, spend 2 hours reading the Imitation of Christ. 

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - Starry Plough - 10-24-2012

Aren't Aristotle and Aurelius examples of prevenient grace?

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - Poche - 10-24-2012

An interest in mythology is ok and the sign of a healthy intellect.
It would only be bad and sinful if you were to actually believe in and pray to these pagan deities (please note that the pagan gods /deities are referenced using miniscule letters)

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - Antonius Josephus - 10-24-2012

Also, be mindful that it is no sin to be wholly ignorant of classical paganism, but a potential near occasion of sin to let oneself become too fascinated by it.

I made that mistake years ago, and my fascination with classical Germanic and Slavic paganism came back to bite me, twice. I spent too long looking into the abyss, and when other circumstances were right, the abyss looked back into me.

Study if you like, but be temperate and above all, prayerful! :pray:

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - Pilgrim - 10-24-2012

Ate you sacrificing animals and burning their thigh bones, or studying the flights of birds for omens?  If not, then you are probably OK.

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - TraditionalistThomas - 10-24-2012

(10-24-2012, 04:49 AM)Spooky Wrote: You're probably ok but try to spend twice as much time reading good Catholic sources as you study paganism. Like, if you spend 1 hour reading about 5th century Hinduism, spend 2 hours reading the Imitation of Christ. 

Good advice.

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - EcceQuamBonum - 10-24-2012

St. Augustine, De Doctrina Christiana, II, §60 Wrote:Moreover, if those who are called philosophers, and especially the Platonists, have said anything that is true and in harmony with our faith, we are not only not to shrink from it, but to claim it for our own use from those who have unlawful possession of it. For, as the Egyptians had not only the idols and heavy burdens which the people of Israel hated and fled from, but also vessels and ornaments of gold and silver, and garments, which the same people when going out of Egypt appropriated to themselves, designing them for a better use, not doing this on their own authority, but by the command of God, the Egyptians themselves, in their ignorance, providing them with things which they themselves were not making a good use of; in the same way all branches of heathen learning have not only false and superstitious fancies and heavy burdens of unnecessary toil, which every one of us, when going out under the leadership of Christ from the fellowship of the heathen, ought to abhor and avoid; but they contain also liberal instruction which is better adapted to the use of the truth, and some most excellent precepts of morality; and some truths in regard even to the worship of the One God are found among them. Now these are, so to speak, their gold and silver, which they did not create themselves, but dug out of the mines of God's providence which are everywhere scattered abroad, and are perversely and unlawfully prostituting to the worship of devils. These, therefore, the Christian, when he separates himself in spirit from the miserable fellowship of these men, ought to take away from them, and to devote to their proper use in preaching the gospel.

Stay thirsty, my friend.

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - Scriptorium - 10-24-2012

Do you mean you have like a small Joseph Campbell in your heart? Just keep the Faith. If you find it dangerous, then stop, because we can't purposely endanger our souls. I am amazed and fascinated by human history. I am particularly fascinated by the idea that God was known, but over generations this became diffuse in paganism as it spread.

Re: Is my fascination with classical paganism bad for my Faith? - CrusaderKing - 10-24-2012

I believe St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine admired and were influenced by certain pagans such as Plato and acknowledged their good writings, etc. I doubt being fascinated with classical paganism will be bad for most people's Faith.