FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Smoking pot a mortal sin - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Smoking pot a mortal sin (/showthread.php?tid=58899)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - Aragon - 10-31-2012

I have to say I don't think Fr. Doran has ever smoked weed before. It doesn't make you lose your reason, and its effects certainly can't be compared to alcohol. It's probably not a good idea to smoke it, and addiction to it is sinful, but I don't buy this argument.

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - knittycat - 10-31-2012

(10-31-2012, 12:41 AM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 11:36 PM)knittycat Wrote: The point is, MJ simply isn't as intoxicating as booze ...

A person whose judgement is impaired might not be aware of it, and if they are aware, they might not admit it, and if they did admit it, they might not consider it very serious.  Some souls are quite hardened by their actual sins to the point that they really don't recognize a weakening of their judgement when they smoke marijuana. 

The same can be said of alcohol.  How 'bout all those who drink and drive because  "they aren't impaired"?

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - Scriptorium - 10-31-2012

Here is an excellent documentary, which is fair, and from my experience and understanding is accurate. Worth a full viewing if one wants.

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - FleetingShadow - 10-31-2012

(10-30-2012, 10:31 PM)knittycat Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 10:30 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 10:28 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Wait.  I thought the SSPX website settled this question once and for all.  Why are you people still arguing about this?  Do you not realize that the SSPX has retained the Faith whole and inviolate, safe from the perfidious modernists of New Church?  

Stop this silly bickering.  Econe has rightly judged the matter.  Anathema sit!

Could you elaborate?  :)
He's just being Dr. Bombay.  He thinks he's funny.

I think he is funny. He's actually the only person on this forum who makes me laugh out loud. Keep up the gratuitous sarcasm, Bombay.

Vox is right. The problem lies in extremism on this issue. I don't smoke pot anymore because I got a bit paranoid once. There was a cardboard cut-out of the US President in the room. I turned around to see him and got a fright. Punched him. Stomped on him. And threw him out a five-story window. (Nobody was hurt!) The funny thing is I don't even really dislike Obama. For a Baal-Moloch supporter, he's not a bad sort.

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - anamchara - 10-31-2012

(10-31-2012, 01:34 PM)FleetingShadow Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 10:31 PM)knittycat Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 10:30 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 10:28 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Wait.  I thought the SSPX website settled this question once and for all.  Why are you people still arguing about this?  Do you not realize that the SSPX has retained the Faith whole and inviolate, safe from the perfidious modernists of New Church?  

Stop this silly bickering.  Econe has rightly judged the matter.  Anathema sit!

Could you elaborate?  :)
He's just being Dr. Bombay.  He thinks he's funny.

I think he is funny. He's actually the only person on this forum who makes me laugh out loud. Keep up the gratuitous sarcasm, Bombay.

Vox is right. The problem lies in extremism on this issue. I don't smoke pot anymore because I got a bit paranoid once. There was a cardboard cut-out of the US President in the room. I turned around to see him and got a fright. Punched him. Stomped on him. And threw him out a five-story window. (Nobody was hurt!) The funny thing is I don't even really dislike Obama. For a Baal-Moloch supporter, he's not a bad sort.

Well, there you go. Pot helps you see things on a deeper level.

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - newyorkcatholic - 10-31-2012

Marijuana (as I understand it) was legal until prohibition. When alcohol prohibition was repealed,  the laws against marijuana use/posession/sale were not repealed.

So I wonder if there are any sermons or teaching about the morality of marijuana use, when it was legal?

I also can't see what is problematic about marijuana that doesn't apply to the other common substances.

Alcohol causes many many many more deaths (through poisoning, liver disease, falls, fights, car accidents, etc). Tobacco also causes more deaths than marijuana. Alcohol can impair our reasoning more significantly.

Don't get me wrong: I oppose marijuana use. I have good anecdotal evidence, and there is also scientific evidence, that it makes you lazy and stupid. But I'm not convinced of the moral implications.

Getting drunk has probably let to many more sins (of fornication, murder, etc, while intoxicated).

(10-30-2012, 09:53 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:46 PM)anamchara Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:44 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:42 PM)anamchara Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:18 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:13 PM)anamchara Wrote: Here in Michigan, marijuana is legal with a doctor's prescription. In general, I don't trust doctors. I prefer to self-diagnose and self-medicate.

I see nothing immoral about self-medicating with marijuana. I don't see anything immoral in moderate marijuana use for any reason.

I can understand your distrust of the medical profession, but if we applied this line of thinking to other things, it would not work. For example, with cars, apart from basic operations, you would not be able to self-diagnose and self-repair your car. I'm not talking about an oil change, flat tire, or even tune up and brakes, but serious work.

Of course it would work. If you were to study cars and acquire experience, you'd become a mechanic. How do you think mechanics become mechanics?

Maybe you could even become your own pope!

That's a shoddy analogy. Anybody *can* become a mechanic. Only the Bishop of Rome is pope.

I meant your own religious authority.
As a Catholic, I know I can't be my own religious authority. I can certainly be my own mechanical authority. Your analogy remains shoddy.

(10-30-2012, 10:03 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:13 PM)anamchara Wrote: Here in Michigan, marijuana is legal with a doctor's prescription. In general, I don't trust doctors. I prefer to self-diagnose and self-medicate.

I see nothing immoral about self-medicating with marijuana. I don't see anything immoral in moderate marijuana use for any reason.

Since there are many pedophile priests do you not trust priests? Do you give yourself absolution or confect the Blessed Sacrament yourself?

I do not believe there are "many" pedophile priests. In absolute and percentage terms, there are more pedophile public school teachers and pedophile football coaches than there are pedophile priests . No, I do not give myself absolution or confect the Blessed Sacrament. Do you?

You favor neocon wars on Muslims. The last two popes have opposed them.  "Rome has spoken. The case is closed." Forgive me if I don't take you seriously on this issue.

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - Atomagenesis - 10-31-2012

whenever I read your name I can't help but think "An Armchair."  :grin:

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - per_passionem_eius - 10-31-2012

(10-31-2012, 01:49 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 06:02 PM)Petertherock Wrote: (snip)

Is it a mortal sin to use drugs?

The old text books [on moral theology] do not speak of this new problem of the modern world.

(snip)

"New problem of the modern world"? People have been ingesting drugs in one form or another since the dawn of man. It's only a huge "problem" now because of the "War on Drugs" and the ensuing black market, ridiculous prices, and violence that comes from those.

I think it could be said to be a result of liberalism just as easily.  Is there not an argument for cocaine and heroin use in what you say too?