FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Smoking pot a mortal sin - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Smoking pot a mortal sin (/showthread.php?tid=58899)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - knittycat - 10-30-2012

I am curious as to where in the catechism it refers to intoxication as a sin.  I assume it is, and I assume that consuming any substance with the intent of intoxication is sinful, however, I'd like to see infallible instruction on the subject.

(10-30-2012, 10:04 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 09:58 PM)knittycat Wrote: I know three.

Well, if they trust you, you can tell them what the Church teaches on this, and hopefully they'll listen.  You have to be convinced first, though.
And indeed, I am not convinced.  I, however, can be.  I am not so obstinate in my view as to ignore church teaching, if it can, in fact, be pointed out to me.

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - per_passionem_eius - 10-30-2012

knittycat, this was posted earlier in the thread.

(10-30-2012, 08:40 PM)Doce Me Wrote: Getting drunk is a mortal sin. At what point is the effect of smoking pot as bad as that of getting drunk? Usually (I hope) when people drink they only want a relatively mild effect.  Is that true for people who smoke pot?

However you compare pot vs. alcohol, The Catechism of the Catholic Church certainly can't be just ignored (even if you want to ignore the SSPX).  If you don' t like the CCC, previous teaching would only be stricter.

"Catechism of the Catholic Church" Wrote:2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

All this deals with is the illegality of pot.  It does not concern the effects of the drug it's self, nor the intent of the person consuming it.  I've never denied the illegality of marijuana, just the morality of consuming it *aside* from it's legal status.

By the way, the Catholics I know who smoke, do refrain from communion.

(10-30-2012, 10:10 PM)knittycat Wrote: All this deals with is the illegality of pot.  It does not concern the effects of the drug it's self, nor the intent of the person consuming it.  I've never denied the illegality of marijuana, just the morality of consuming it *aside* from it's legal status.

2290 emphasizes temperance, and 2291 allows the use of 'drugs' for 'strictly therapeutic purposes'.
Quote:By the way, the Catholics I know who smoke, do refrain from communion.

... because they smoke marijuana?  I only ask because if so, then they already know it's mortally sinful.

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - Scriptorium - 10-30-2012

THC tea. Now its okay because it is food.

I think I may need to clarify.
Heroine, pills, speed, 'shrooms, lsd, and cocaine, by their nature (being nasty) are never something that can be enjoyed for the substance it's self.  The goal of consuming these drugs is the high they provide, thereby making the purpose of taking such drugs purely for their intoxicating effect, therefore making it sinful to partake of them.
I posit that marijuana can be consumed for the enjoyment of the substance it's self, rather than the goal of intoxication.  Much like tobacco and alcohol.  Therefore the *only* thing tat makes consuming pot sinful is the law against it.
If you want to play the harm card, people have already pointed to the well documented harmful effects of alcohol and tobacco vs. the lack of evidence showing harm from pot.  (Although, I must say that inhaling smoke of any sort can't be good for the lungs in the long term)
I don't deny the sinfulness of smoking pot, just the root reason for the sin.  Therefore refraining from communion is due to the legal status of the drug rather than the moral implications of taking it on it's own merits.
As for the idea of 'strictly for therapeutic purposes' caviat, one must admit that nicotine and alcohol are too drugs.  Just because they are common, legal, and have a long history in the old world doesn't make them any less of a drug.

ETA: Also, I find the abuse of the medical marijuana laws awful and just as sinful as smoking pot while it is outright illegal.  You must lie to get a medical permit and find a doctor to be complicit in the lie.

(10-30-2012, 10:25 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: THC tea. Now its okay because it is food.
Let's not forget "brownies"

Re: Smoking pot a mortal sin - DrBombay - 10-30-2012

Wait.  I thought the SSPX website settled this question once and for all.  Why are you people still arguing about this?  Do you not realize that the SSPX has retained the Faith whole and inviolate, safe from the perfidious modernists of New Church?  

Stop this silly bickering.  Econe has rightly judged the matter.  Anathema sit!

(10-30-2012, 10:26 PM)knittycat Wrote: I think I may need to clarify.
Heroine, pills, speed, 'shrooms, lsd, and cocaine, by their nature (being gross) are never something that can be enjoyed for the substance it's self.  The goal of consuming these drugs is the high they provide, thereby making the purpose of taking such drugs purely for their intoxicating effect, therefore making it sinful to partake of them.
I posit that marijuana can be consumed for the enjoyment of the substance it's self, rather than the goal of intoxication.  Much like tobacco and alcohol.  Therefore the *only* thing tat makes consuming pot sinful is the law against it.
If you want to play the harm card, people have already pointed to the well documented harmful effects of alcohol and tobacco vs. the lack of evidence showing harm from pot.  (Although, I must say that inhaling smoke of any sort can't be good for the lungs in the long term)
I don't deny the sinfulness of smoking pot, just the root reason for the sin.  Therefore refraining from communion is due to the legal status of the drug rather than the moral implications of taking it on it's own merits.
As for the idea of 'strictly for therapeutic purposes' caviat, one must admit that nicotine and alcohol are too drugs.  Just because they are common, legal, and have a long history in the old world doesn't make them any less of a drug.

Do you have access to a trad priest?