FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Caveman Diet - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Caveman Diet (/showthread.php?tid=58918)

Pages: 1 2

Caveman Diet - Poche - 10-31-2012

Do you think of the cavemen as being primarily meateaters? Guess what you may have been wrong. This article talks about what cavemen really ate from the archaeological evidence.
:) :) ??? ??? ???

http://news.yahoo.com/caveman-diet-secret-less-red-meat-more-plants-105814048.html;_ylt=AhqdCCZgDXV_FAGAKHzpLn0PLBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTNoMHVoa2RrBG1pdAMEcGtnAzJlYzE4OWQ5LTJkMmEtMzRjYy1iOTU4LTFlOTlmZjczZGUxYwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDbG5fRGlub3NhdXJzX2dhbAR2ZXIDOGEwN2E1ODAtMWY1ZS0xMWUyLWJlYmQtNzY1ZDgzMTYwNmQx;_ylv=3

Re: Caveman Diet - miss_fluffy - 10-31-2012

They tended to go for animal fatty tissue first, I'm sure diets varied by regional availability.  If you get more than 60% of your calories from lean protein, avoiding fat, you will start to get very sick indeed.  It's known as "rabbit starvation".  Some populations did have to rely on nearly 100% animal products, like the eskimos, and the key to surviving was eating very fat-rich animals.

Re: Caveman Diet - Poche - 11-01-2012

It also varied by season.

Re: Caveman Diet - ggreg - 11-05-2012

They lived in caves and had short harsh lives too.

They might have eaten bats, toads and dandelions for all anyone knows, but I wouldn't eat that crap.

Was this study sponsored by PETA?

Let's not knock modernity too hard.  In many ways it is excellent.

Re: Caveman Diet - Poche - 11-06-2012

(11-05-2012, 01:59 PM)ggreg Wrote: They lived in caves and had short harsh lives too.

They might have eaten bats, toads and dandelions for all anyone knows, but I wouldn't eat that crap.

Was this study sponsored by PETA?

Let's not knock modernity too hard.  In many ways it is excellent.
No one is knocking modernity. And by the way dandelion greens are not bad tasting. They taste good with mustard.
:) :) :)

Re: Caveman Diet - Tim - 11-06-2012

Like almost everything it's who is looking at the evidence. I've read that in the bad old times with corrupt kings and dukes, the normal folks ate a diet of 5000 calories a day, about 8 oz. of red meat and fat, a pound of bread, vegetables, and lots of beer. After the black death the merchants tried to get the peasants to come to the towne and make their goods for sale. No deal, they had to be physically taken there. Why ? I think the idea that being a starving dirty sick and cold peasant is propaganda. It's a re-write to show we are moving onward and upward, and that there always neandarthals dragging their feet, like me and you.

tim

Re: Caveman Diet - Zedta - 11-06-2012

There was a diet that I think was called the Blood Type Diet where the food that one should eat was determined by blood type. The theory was that we all (cavemen) started out as type 'O', but over years of mingling, man's blood types changed according to where one lived. It was an interesting theory that some 'Naturopathic' Physician came up with. It was a bomb, however, and really did not pan out as purported.

For those interested, here's a fairly good link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=blood%20type%20diet&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dadamo.com%2F&ei=IDqZUPziGoSo9gSnooDABw&usg=AFQjCNH-kG2OnUq_PwGH6Vkz32MwTwkOmw

Re: Caveman Diet - Fontevrault - 11-06-2012

(11-06-2012, 08:20 AM)Tim Wrote: Like almost everything it's who is looking at the evidence. I've read that in the bad old times with corrupt kings and dukes, the normal folks ate a diet of 5000 calories a day, about 8 oz. of red meat and fat, a pound of bread, vegetables, and lots of beer. After the black death the merchants tried to get the peasants to come to the towne and make their goods for sale. No deal, they had to be physically taken there. Why ? I think the idea that being a starving dirty sick and cold peasant is propaganda. It's a re-write to show we are moving onward and upward, and that there always neandarthals dragging their feet, like me and you.

tim

In the 14th century a lot more went wrong than just the Black Death.  Remember that Europe was pretty much maxed out agriculturally by this point - given the technology of the time.  So, every bit of land that could produce was in use to feed the large population.  When temperatures dropped by even a few degrees (a mini ice age) and drought and then intense rain subsequently destroyed crops, people did go hungry - and many died. It was a big old mess with a lot of factors combining to take out huge numbers of people; the Black Death was just the icing on the cake.  This isn't really a fallacy, though the tendency to generalize means that we get the Monty Python "bring out your dead" moment as iconic of the Middle Ages as a whole and the peasant class in particular. 

Another favorite pet peeve of mine is the whole "they used spices to cover the odor of rancid meat that they had to eat."  This totally makes no sense.  If you could afford enough cinnamon, clove, etc. to hide the smell and taste of rancid meat, you could afford fresh meat. Spices were really friggin expensive. 

Re: Caveman Diet - Tim - 11-06-2012

I take your point Fontevrault. I read a thing my nephew had for history on pre-marital sex and honor, written by some feminist historian. The point she was drivig at was the increase in out of wedlock births jumped dramatically by a large percent, but if measured in actual births the increase was small like around twenty babies in a population of 100,000. She chose to use delta percent to hide the fact the numbers were not that great. I'm no historian, but I can see where folks are twisting the truth, it squeals.

tim 

Re: Caveman Diet - Fontevrault - 11-06-2012

There is a lot of biased history out there.  I'm glad you think about what you read rather than take it at face value.  Most people (and this drives me nuts) assume that if it's in print, it's true.

Was the premarital sex thing re: the Middle Ages?  I could see a small jump in the 14th century like you describe just because the clergy were really hard hit by the Black Death in particular.  The church responded by sending out half trained boys as priests (ordained early) in an attempt to make sure people could at least receive the sacraments.