FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
cayenne pepper - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: cayenne pepper (/showthread.php?tid=59233)

Pages: 1 2

cayenne pepper - per_passionem_eius - 11-11-2012

Has anyone else noticed that cayenne pepper has been watered down in the last few years with paprika?  I can't find the real thing anywhere anymore.

Re: cayenne pepper - JacafamalaRedux - 11-11-2012

No, I haven't noticed that. What brand do you buy?

Re: cayenne pepper - per_passionem_eius - 11-11-2012

I buy it in bulk.  It's always fresher in bulk, at least here.  Maybe I'll try a brand name.

I don't buy brand name spices because I go through them too quickly because they're never fresh.  Fresh cayenne pepper brings tears to my eyes.  That's what I'm looking for.  There are other very hot spices but cayenne pepper is my favorite.

Re: cayenne pepper - dahveed - 11-11-2012

We haven't grown them the last two years, but there were some giant cayennes we grew in 2009 that were wonderful. Made great hot sauce from them, didn't take too much effort for them to grow. Just a thought. Although I don't recall the particular one, these things were roughly six or seven inches long. The only challenge was the first time we forgot to open all the windows while making the hot sauce and drying some.  :LOL:

(11-11-2012, 08:30 PM)dahveed Wrote: We forgot to open all the windows while making the hot sauce and drying some.  :LOL:

What happened?! 

I've never tried them fresh, for some reason.  Habit, I guess.  I'll go get some fresh ones this week.  That should solve the problem as far as cooking goes.  But I also like using the cayenne in drinks.  I'll have to go without, I guess.

Paprika is made from the same pepper as cayenne, but for some reason it's sweet.  I know the seeds of the jalapeno are the hottest part, so maybe that's how come cayenne pepper is hotter than paprika - it has more seeds?

Re: cayenne pepper - Antonius Josephus - 11-11-2012

Cayenne pepper is one of God's greatest gifts :)

(11-11-2012, 08:50 PM)Antonius Josephus Wrote: Cayenne pepper is one of God's greatest gifts :)

Yes!  Deo gratias!

Re: cayenne pepper - DrBombay - 11-11-2012

(11-11-2012, 08:50 PM)Antonius Josephus Wrote: Cayenne pepper is one of God's greatest gifts :)

So is paprika.  Q.E.D.  :tiphat:

Re: cayenne pepper - Texican - 11-14-2012

(11-11-2012, 08:53 PM)DrBombay Wrote:

So is paprika.  Q.E.D.  :tiphat:

For once, I'll agree with you, Doc.

Pimentón de Murcia and pimentón de la Vera are the best, in my not-so-humble opinion.