FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm (/showthread.php?tid=59502)

Pages: 1 2

Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - JoniCath - 11-21-2012

I just saw a thread entitled From Ratzinger to Benedict. I'm appalled at the disrespect inherent in this title. One doesn't even address a layman by his last name......when he is attempting to respect him. "Hey, Smith, how's it going?" or "Jones, I saw your son last week.".  It's just plain rude to refer to a Pope's early years by calling him "Ratzinger". I wonder how many of you would feel if I refer ed to Pope Pius X as Sarto. Perhaps I'll start a thread doing just that:

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]" Sarto, in his early years, sought to perfect his knowledge of theology by assiduously studying Saint Thomas and canon law;" [/size][/size][/size]

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - Graham - 11-21-2012

The thread title comes from the title of a First Things article. It isn't the fault of any supposed climate of disrespect on Fisheaters, so don't take it out on us. Besides it came through Scriptorium who probably intended no disrespect whatsoever.

If you feel strongly about it, you should write First Things a letter.

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - FaithByProxy - 11-21-2012

(11-21-2012, 10:23 AM)Graham Wrote: The thread title comes from the title of a First Things article. It isn't the fault of any supposed climate of disrespect on Fisheaters, so don't take it out on us. Besides it came through Scriptorium who probably intended no disrespect whatsoever.

If you feel strongly about it, you should write First Things a letter.

Agreed.

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - newyorkcatholic - 11-21-2012

(11-21-2012, 10:05 AM)JoniCath Wrote: I just saw a thread entitled From Ratzinger to Benedict. I'm appalled at the disrespect inherent in this title. One doesn't even address a layman by his last name......when he is attempting to respect him. "Hey, Smith, how's it going?" or "Jones, I saw your son last week.".  It's just plain rude to refer to a Pope's early years by calling him "Ratzinger". I wonder how many of you would feel if I refer ed to Pope Pius X as Sarto. Perhaps I'll start a thread doing just that:

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]" Sarto, in his early years, sought to perfect his knowledge of theology by assiduously studying Saint Thomas and canon law;" [/size][/size][/size]

You are mistaken. It's not objectively disrespectful, it's standard. And I doubt Scriptorium intended disrespect either.

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - Tim - 11-21-2012

You bet it was First Things but why is it titled that way. First Things is pretty much the intersection of the Church and the neo-con Republicans. It's not just the liberal D's that are disrespectful of the Church. It's in the current climate whether the winds blow from the east or west. On a personal note I always try to use the proper current titles but find I can never remember who is a blessed or not, so I skip that and write Pope or Bishop. That's laziness because I could open another tab and find it quick, and my lack of respect finds it unimportant. Mea Culpa.

tim

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - Scotus - 11-21-2012

(11-21-2012, 10:05 AM)JoniCath Wrote: I just saw a thread entitled From Ratzinger to Benedict. I'm appalled at the disrespect inherent in this title. One doesn't even address a layman by his last name......when he is attempting to respect him. "Hey, Smith, how's it going?" or "Jones, I saw your son last week.".  It's just plain rude to refer to a Pope's early years by calling him "Ratzinger". I wonder how many of you would feel if I refer ed to Pope Pius X as Sarto. Perhaps I'll start a thread doing just that:

Actually, in non-English languages it's not uncommon - and most likely not intended as a form of disrespect -  to refer to "Pope Ratzinger" or "Pope Wojtyla".

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - SaintSebastian - 11-21-2012

JoniCath,

In the very article in the CE on St. Pius X that you are quoting, it does refer to him as "Sarto":

"Finally, the minister Crispi having returned to power, and the Holy See having raised the mission of Eritrea to the rank of an Apostolic Prefecture in favour of the Italian Capuchins, the Government withdrew from its position. Its opposition had not been caused by any objection to Sarto personally."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12137a.htm

The article in question on Pope Benedict was written by the late Cardinal Dulles and I doubt any disrespect was intended.  I don't think using the surname of a Pope when referring to him before he was pope is bad.

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - Richard C - 11-21-2012

Joni, in general I agree that calling the Holy Father "Ratzinger" is intended to be disrespectful. However, in the titles of periodic articles they usually don't use personal titles or honorifics, so I would not see this instance that way.

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - Mithrandylan - 11-21-2012

(11-21-2012, 11:13 AM)Scotus Wrote:

Actually, in non-English languages it's not uncommon - and most likely not intended as a form of disrespect -  to refer to "Pope Ratzinger" or "Pope Wojtyla".

Beat me to it.

Nothing wrong with it in the slightest. 

Re: Disrespect is not "traditional" Catholicm - Lateran15 - 11-21-2012

Another point is that the Holy Father also writes and publishes under his Christian name.