FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? (/showthread.php?tid=61950)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - Someone1776 - 03-13-2013

The only thing we have to talk to about Pope Francis...is his choice to take the name of Pope Francis.

We don't know why he took the name Francis, but given his Jesuit background the name is probably a reference to Francis Xavier. 

But, no Pope has ever ever taken the name Francis before! 

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - Tenmaru - 03-13-2013

A clean slate that hearkens to many great saints, including one who rebuilt the Church and one who evangelized the pagans.

Come, Holy Ghost!

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - Pheo - 03-13-2013

He took a Saint's name.  In and of itself that's not too concerning to me.

Pope Moonbeam would have been more difficult to ignore.

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - Joamy - 03-13-2013

I wonder if he listens to Sinatra... .

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - AntoniusMaximus - 03-13-2013

I don't mind it.  I hope he just follows in the steps of either St. Francis of Assisi or St. Francis Xavier.  

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - Anastasia - 03-13-2013

And I just remembered St Francis Borgia. Couldn't remember if he was a Jesuit, but I just checked, and yes he was.

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - DoktorDespot - 03-13-2013

He wasn't wearing the Papal Mozzetta and only put on the stole for the blessing.

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - verenaerin - 03-13-2013

(03-13-2013, 03:55 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: He wasn't wearing the Papal Mozzetta and only put on the stole for the blessing.

What is that?

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - DoktorDespot - 03-13-2013

(03-13-2013, 03:58 PM)verenaerin Wrote:
(03-13-2013, 03:55 PM)DoktorDespot Wrote: He wasn't wearing the Papal Mozzetta and only put on the stole for the blessing.

What is that?

[Image: 7533b_election_of_pope_benedict_xvi_vide...ection.jpg]

Re: What Do We Think of Pope Francis' First Decision? - Pilgrim - 03-13-2013

(03-13-2013, 03:51 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: The only thing we have to talk to about Pope Francis...is his choice to take the name of Pope Francis.

We don't know why he took the name Francis, but given his Jesuit background the name is probably a reference to Francis Xavier.   

But, no Pope has ever ever taken the name Francis before! 

As I said in an earlier thread, St. Francis of Assisi is my favorite saint, so I'm fine with it.