FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Multiple sclerosis - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Multiple sclerosis (/showthread.php?tid=62840)

Pages: 1 2

Multiple sclerosis - Tx2Step - 04-27-2013

My husband was just diagnosed with MS, I am in process of massive amounts of reading and learning about the disease and treatment options-
Diet and lifestyle changes - medications, you know. . .
Everything.
Anyone else living with MS can point me in any direction at all?

Re: Multiple sclerosis - Akavit - 04-27-2013

I have an aunt with that disorder but I don't know a lot about it myself.  One thing I do remember is that there's been some success with incorporating kale into the diet.  Actually, kale is just plain good for anyone whether they are healthy or not.

Kale for MS

I don't remember much about it but I seem to recall someone claiming to have nearly reversed MS by diet.  Here's the site talking about it.

Kale University

Re: Multiple sclerosis - Akavit - 04-27-2013

I followed a link inside one of the articles I linked to in my previous post and found the original source that I'd mentioned.

Dr. Terry Wahl's Website

Re: Multiple sclerosis - Tx2Step - 05-02-2013

Thank you.
He's also written a book I am familiar with both.
Txtrish

Re: Multiple sclerosis - The Curt Jester - 05-02-2013

Here's a link to a previous discussion on the topic:

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3446999.0/topicseen.html

I'll go ahead and post the video found in that thread:

Re: Multiple sclerosis - Scotus - 05-23-2013

Perhaps this will be helpful.

Dr Kingsley divides MS cases into what he terms 'sensory MS' (numbness and tingling in the body) and 'functional MS' (deterioration of motor skills). His book The New Medicine goes into some detail about treating MS. He had a great deal of success with IV Vitamin B12 when working with the 'sensory' types.

I live in Scotland which has the highest incidence of MS in the world. Possible reasons could include a chronic and widespread Vitamin D deficiency (the last few decades seem to me to have been distinctly unsunny here) and mercury fillings (possibly as result of the aforementioned Vitamin D deficiency which has led to a higher incidence of dental decay). There may also be a genetic factor, with the Vikings getting an accusing finger pointing at them.

Re: Multiple sclerosis - Scotus - 05-23-2013

Here is a summary of Dr Patrick Kingsley's diagnosis of 'MS culprits':
Quote:So what causes did I find to be playing a part in patients' MS symptoms?  

I) Individual food intolerances
II) Toxic metals such as mercury and lead
III) Toxic chemicals such as pesticides and some added to foods including MSG and aspartame
IV) Nutritional deficiencies, especially of vitamin B12, magnesium and vitamin D (one Canadian researcher believes that MS will one day be redefined as a vitamin D deficiency disease)
V) Infections such as the chicken pox/shingles virus, fungi such as candida species and many others including chlamydia
VI) The usual forms of stress
VII) Geopathic stress
VIII) Occasionally drugs and some supplements causing imbalances
IX) Social poisons such as cigarette smoke and alcohol
X) Root canal fillings, especially old ones
XI) Temporo-mandibular joint imbalances
XII) Hormonal imbalances
XIII) A struggling immune system
XIV) The functioning of your bowel or leaky gut syndrome  

Kingsley, Dr. Patrick (2011-11-13). The New Medicine (Kindle Locations 6835-6854). Abaco Publishing. Kindle Edition.

You may find this helpful or you may not, but I am aware that Dr Kingsley (now retired) treated over 9,000 patients with MS with a good rate of success.

Re: Multiple sclerosis - moneil - 06-06-2013

(05-23-2013, 12:49 PM)Scotus Wrote: Here is a summary of Dr Patrick Kingsley's diagnosis of 'MS culprits':
Quote:So what causes did I find to be playing a part in patients' MS symptoms?  

I) Individual food intolerances
II) Toxic metals such as mercury and lead
III) Toxic chemicals such as pesticides and some added to foods including MSG and aspartame
IV) Nutritional deficiencies, especially of vitamin B12, magnesium and vitamin D (one Canadian researcher believes that MS will one day be redefined as a vitamin D deficiency disease)
V) Infections such as the chicken pox/shingles virus, fungi such as candida species and many others including chlamydia
VI) The usual forms of stress
VII) Geopathic stress
VIII) Occasionally drugs and some supplements causing imbalances
IX) Social poisons such as cigarette smoke and alcohol
X) Root canal fillings, especially old ones
XI) Temporo-mandibular joint imbalances
XII) Hormonal imbalances
XIII) A struggling immune system
XIV) The functioning of your bowel or leaky gut syndrome  

Kingsley, Dr. Patrick (2011-11-13). The New Medicine (Kindle Locations 6835-6854). Abaco Publishing. Kindle Edition.

You may find this helpful or you may not, but I am aware that Dr Kingsley (now retired) treated over 9,000 patients with MS with a good rate of success.

First,  :pray: for Tx2step and her husband, that God will guide them to a successful management of this condidtion, and in any event provide them with the grace and peace to accept the outcome.

I know or know of several people with MS and have seen a whole range of differing progressions among them.  I don't have any helpful resources to provide but I would share an anecdote related to point # IV from the resource Scotus provided.

My parish has "circle suppers" every January - April; small groups of parishioners, in our case 8, meet at someone's home for dinner; a nice way to enjoy interesting and good food and to become better acquainted.  One of the guests at a dinner this year, whose house I had been at for one of these dinners a couple of years ago, is a professor and scientist in the biological sciences at Washington State University.  I had noted earlier that he has a "bit of a hitch" in his gait.  During the dinner the topic of what he was working on came up.  His academic background was primarily in physics, with post doctoral work in biochemistry.  The focus of his research is in the area of how DNA repairs itself.  I learned that over time our DNA gradually slows in the rate of repair, which is part of the natural ageing process.  For some people this phenomena occurs earlier in life and / or at an accelerated rate, which is believed to be associated with some disease conditions.  He also disclosed that he has MS (the cause of the "hitch in his gait"); I don't remember how long he has known of his condition but I believe it was diagnosed a few years ago.  He said that the only theraphy he has required is taking large doses of Vitamin D, which seems to be abating the condtion so far.  He was born and raised in northern Minnessota and said that there appears to be a correlation between the latitude where one was born and raised and the incidence of MS, "suggesting" (being a good scientist he said this theory is still very "hypothetical") a correlation between the amount of sunlight (i.e., Vitamin D) that one receives during their very early developmental years and a propensity to developing MS.

Re: Multiple sclerosis - Scotus - 06-07-2013

(06-06-2013, 01:54 PM)moneil Wrote: He said that the only theraphy he has required is taking large doses of Vitamin D, which seems to be abating the condtion so far.  He was born and raised in northern Minnessota and said that there appears to be a correlation between the latitude where one was born and raised and the incidence of MS, "suggesting" (being a good scientist he said this theory is still very "hypothetical") a correlation between the amount of sunlight (i.e., Vitamin D) that one receives during their very early developmental years and a propensity to developing MS.

The sad fact is that few doctors would even suggest looking at vitamin and mineral levels. I would suggest a Vitamin D test (25 hydroxy) and then look to raise the levels of Vitamin D3 through supplementation, being careful to stay within a safe range since Vitamin D toxicity, although very rare, can bring its own problems.

Vitamin D and MS

Quote:My recommendation regarding multiple sclerosis and vitamin D is that when first diagnosed with MS, people should ask for a vitamin D level immediately. It is very common for this first level to be low, and often this is why the attack happened. Australian researchers are now calling for ‘Active detection of vitamin D insufficiency among people with MS and intervention to restore vitamin D status to adequate levels … as part of the clinical management of MS’. Many neurologists I know are now doing this routinely at diagnosis. If the level is very low, it can be brought up very quickly with a one-off megadose of vitamin D followed by regular capsules. Many people get quite nervous about using large doses of vitamin D for MS, but the research shows that it is very safe, and indeed necessary if levels are to be raised quickly.

For people with initial levels indicating severe deficiency less than 12.5nmol/L a one-off megadose of 600,000IU raised levels to an average of 73nmol/L. This is still probably half the level which may be optimal in MS, but it can be seen that even large doses of this vitamin are quite safe. More recent research has shown that people who are overweight or obese require even larger doses of supplements to get levels up. My suggestion is to get a one-off dose like this if the initial level is low, and then take a regular supplement of around 5,000IU a day in winter, or more if required (10,000IU a day is perfectly safe), and the same on summer days when you get no sun, to get the level to around 150nmol/L as a minimum. The level should be checked at the end of each winter of supplementation to make sure it is not being overdone. Holick, a world authority on vitamin D suggests annually checking one’s vitamin D level as a routine.

Also, mercury fillings seem to be connected to MS in a number of cases. Just last week we heard that Dick Van Dyke has found out that the cause of  his previous chronic ill health were his titanium implants. The human body was not meant to contain the very high levels of mercury that modern people are absorbing into their tissue through diet and amalgam fillings.

In addition, cut out all diet or sweetened drinks that contain aspartame as that can lead to a condition that closely resembles MS.

Re: Multiple sclerosis - Tx2Step - 06-15-2013

My sincere thanks to all who replied, and especiAlly fir the people prehistoric response, and especially . Grateful for prayers.