FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Smokers - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Smokers (/showthread.php?tid=63496)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Smokers - Poche - 06-07-2013

If you smoke you are costing your employers money.
Smoking doesn't just damage smokers and people who spend  time with them. It also hurts the bottom line for companies that employ smokers.
According to a new study from Micah Berman at Ohio State, the average smoking private sector employee costs companies $5,800 more per year than one who has never smoked.

Annual cost estimates ranged from $2,885 to $10,125. 

That's a pretty significant chunk of change. According to the study, on average there's about a $517 loss from increased absenteeism, a $462 loss of productivity related to nicotine addiction, a $3,077 loss due to smoke breaks, and $2,056 in extra health care costs.

The researchers were relatively conservative in their estimates, figuring five smoke breaks in an eight hour workday, three of which took place during assigned breaks.

This is a much higher estimate than a CDC study conducted a decade ago, which pegged the number at $3,400.

That's a big cost, particularly for companies with thousands of employees

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cigarette-smoking-coworker-costs-5-213442214.html

Re: Smokers - Tim - 06-07-2013

There are no studies which prove second hand smoke effects others. There can not be, because it can not be made double blind. All the "evidence" on second hand smoke is anecdotal not scientific. If "smoking" is banned because of monetary reasons, then women that use the pill and homosexuals cause more monetary problems.The increase in Breast Cancer is directly attributable to the pill and abortion, stop using them and it goes down. Homosexuals cut 24 years off their life expectancy according to the only exhaustive study done in Scandanavia where homosexual marriage and hate laws have been in effect for twenty years or so. Homosexual deaths all are attributable directly or indirectly from their "lifestyles"

tim

Re: Smokers - jovan66102 - 06-07-2013

Well right off the bat, the ' $3,077 loss due to smoke breaks' is a direct result of anti-smoking laws and policies. When I started working almost 50 years ago, you could smoke at almost any job. I started as a microfilm camera operator filming old newspapers and state legal records. I was still a non-smoker, but one of my colleagues had an ash tray  right by his camera. There was no loss due to smoke breaks in those days.

Plus, if you force people to go outside in all sorts of weather to smoke, of course there's going to be increased absenteeism from colds, flu, etc., and a proportion of the additional health care costs would have to be included in that as well.

And I'm really curious how they quantified the '$462 loss of productivity related to nicotine addiction'. Sounds like they just made a number up, to me.

***Edited for spelling.***

Re: Smokers - Armor of Light - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 08:04 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Well right off the bat, the ' $3,077 loss due to smoke breaks' is a direct result of anti-smoking laws and policies. When I started working almost 50 years ago, you could smoke at almost any job. I started as a microfilm camera operator filming old newspapers and state legal records. I was still a non-smoker, but one of my colleagues had an ash tray  right by his camera. There was no loss due to smoke breaks in those days.

Plus, if you force people to go outside in all sorts of weather to smoke, of course there's going to be increase absenteeism from colds, flu, etc., and a proportion of the additional health care costs would have to be included in that as well.

And I'm really curious how they quantified the '$462 loss of productivity related to nicotine addiction'. Sounds like they just made a number up, to me.

Exactly!

The whole country is p-whipped about smoking and I thought it was ridiculous even when I was a non smoker. We now have to go 25 feet from any door and you can't smoke at outdoor events.
The guys used to smoke right at their drafting boards..no problem..they only left their design jobs to get coffee and bathroom breaks.

That being said..I'd like to quit.

Way back in the day, the request for bids from the Military came on 35 mm film. I used to load all those cards in a 35 mm reader and me and my trusty ashtray would go through them and I'd have to visualize all that in my mind to get an image of what would need to be done. Thanks to my cigs and ashtray, I'd be there late in the night just sketching concepts, breaking out costs, and as the say gettin' er done. Kudos to Jovan and Armour, you jogged my memory.

Oh and the best was after we got the contract I'd send a messenger to a little company close to where I am right now and he'd take the 35 mm film and turn them into size D drawings in black and white on vellum. They were photographic reproductions from a Diazo machine. Just wanted Armour to fell the love.Those were the days, man, 12 or so D size drawings spread out on my work tables and getting everyone's input on a project. America for the Win !

tim

Re: Smokers - jovan66102 - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 07:13 AM)Tim Wrote: There are no studies which prove second hand smoke effects others. There can not be, because it can not be made double blind. All the "evidence" on second hand smoke is anecdotal not scientific.  

tim

You're right, Tim. In fact, when the first 'studies' came out on second hand smoke, there were objections from serious scientists (poorly reported in the MSM, of course) because the methodology was faulty and obviously agenda driven.

And I wonder if they took into account the savings in health care costs of those smokers who don't get prostate cancer, endometrial cancer, Alzheimer's, etc., because peer reviewed studies in recognised medical journals (JAMA, The Lancet, NEJM, etc.) show that these diseases are statistically lower amongst smokers.

Re: Smokers - Armor of Light - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 08:50 AM)Tim Wrote: Way back in the day, the request for bids from the Military came on 35 mm film. I used to load all those cards in a 35 mm reader and me and my trusty ashtray would go through them and I'd have to visualize all that in my mind to get an image of what would need to be done. Thanks to my cigs and ashtray, I'd be there late in the night just sketching concepts, breaking out costs, and as the say gettin' er done. Kudos to Jovan and Armour, you jogged my memory.

Oh and the best was after we got the contract I'd send a messenger to a little company close to where I am right now and he'd take the 35 mm film and turn them into size D drawings in black and white on vellum. They were photographic reproductions from a Diazo machine. Just wanted Armour to fell the love.Those were the days, man, 12 or so D size drawings spread out on my work tables and getting everyone's input on a project. America for the Win !

tim

oHH.  The wonderful smells that emanated from those old prints!

My favorite memory was coming in Monday morning and seeing all the designs on the floor, because the tape would give out. We had wall boards and Michigan gets pretty humid in the summertime.
When I was a punk I'd have to run all the blueprints, and trim them, and fold them, and package them, and send them out for reviews. Some days that is all I'd do! Talk about a waste of time!! Not to mention almost passing out from the ammonia fumes. I think I actually did once...it's all foggy now...

Armor they used to call me "the sepia changer' at Essex International way back there in the mist. We had 60 some tool and die makers, and presses by the gajillion. The designs came from Enginerring in Kokomo Indiana, and we had a teletype for ECN's. When the Oil Crisis in the 70's and the recesssion began, they layed off 60 die makers in a single day. I went from "sepia changer" to plant manager at nights. I had three employees. I didn't know shit from fat meat about turning on a press then.
I was terrified.

tim

Re: Smokers - SCG - 06-07-2013

We abort babies and hand out morning-after pills to 15-year olds and yet we worry about second-hand cigarette smoke. What a screwed up world we live in

EXACTLY, SCG.

tim