FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Head covering for Mass - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Head covering for Mass (/showthread.php?tid=64398)

Pages: 1 2

Head covering for Mass - spunky76 - 08-05-2013

Hello everyone!
I have some family members who have decided to start coming to Mass with me on Sundays after being away from the Church for a very long time. One of the young ladies is half black and has hair that she wears pulled back into a ponytail quite high on the crown of her head. So, she has a big poof of hair resting on top of her head. I've never seen her wear her hair any differently. I don't think a chapel veil will work for her with that hair do. Do any of the ladies out there have any suggestions for a head covering for her. Would a wide head band be appropriate or will I just have to suggest to her change her hair do? Sorry this is such a strange question. I know there are much more important issues on this forum to discuss.

Re: Head covering for Mass - guacamole - 08-05-2013

i think something like this would be lovely.  very traditional and perfectly suited to the lady's hairstyle.

[Image: hennin_.jpg]

Re: Head covering for Mass - spunky76 - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 08:31 PM)guacamole Wrote: i think something like this would be lovely.  very traditional and perfectly suited to the lady's hairstyle.

Wow! I've never seen anything like this before. I don't think she would like to wear a head covering quite like this, but maybe we can modify it, make something a bit shorter and maybe more flat on top. Almost like one of those pill box hats with a veil on it. Thanks so much for the input! Gave me some ideas.:)

Re: Head covering for Mass - JayneK - 08-05-2013

There was a style of Spanish mantilla worn over high hair with a decorative comb.  This picture shows a woman wearing a comb alone on the left and some with veils on the right:
[Image: B-mantillas-old-new.jpg]

Here is a close up of a decorative comb:
[Image: il_fullxfull.392157577_8dt2.jpg]

If you want to see more pictures, google on mantilla high hair.

Re: Head covering for Mass - spunky76 - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 09:09 PM)JayneK Wrote: There was a style of Spanish mantilla worn over high hair with a decorative comb.  This picture shows a woman wearing a comb alone on the left and some with veils on the right:
[Image: B-mantillas-old-new.jpg]

Here is a close up of a decorative comb:
[Image: il_fullxfull.392157577_8dt2.jpg]

If you want to see more pictures, google on mantilla high hair.

Oh, thank you! More good ideas! You two have been a HUGE help! Thank you so much!

Re: Head covering for Mass - Crusading Philologist - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 08:31 PM)guacamole Wrote: i think something like this would be lovely.  very traditional and perfectly suited to the lady's hairstyle.

I have to imagine anyone wearing that around a group of trads would run the risk of being burnt at the stake.

Re: Head covering for Mass - MorganHiver - 08-05-2013

I think the Klu Klux Kap was more of a bad joke, seeing how she is half black. Perhaps I am wrong but I can usually detect sar...sorecasm.

Re: Head covering for Mass - Maldon - 08-05-2013

There are black girls at ours. They wear normal mantillas. On the longer rather than shorter side, but nothing out of the ordinary.
I would try not to make a big deal out of it for her.

Re: Head covering for Mass - PurposefulMother - 08-06-2013

I would also suggest a longish mantilla. I wear my hair in all manner of craziness in order to keep it off of my neck during the hot months, and it is very long, so a bun is about 4" tall. A mantilla works great for me. Plus, my high bun makes a great place to put a comb so my babies don't pull it off! :)

Re: Head covering for Mass - guacamole - 08-06-2013

(08-05-2013, 09:58 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: I think the Klu Klux Kap was more of a bad joke, seeing how she is half black. Perhaps I am wrong but I can usually detect sar...sorecasm.

no i did not mean that at all.  i was thinking of the hats worn by women in medieval times, not klansmen.  (and klansmen do not wear pink!)

here's another example:*

[Image: Mary-Duchess-of-Burgundy.jpg]

*not a klansperson