FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae (/showthread.php?tid=64572)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - JoniCath - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 10:09 AM)2Vermont Wrote: http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/REFORMOF.HTM

You all have probably known about this, but I am just finding this letter by Cardinal Ottaviani to Paul VI regarding the New Mass.

WOW.

Edited by Vox to hook up link and to remove ALL CAPS in subject line

I first read this letter about 7-8 yrs. ago. I agree with everything in it. The separation of the Tabernacle from the Altar, IMO., was an insult to all of us Catholics who had........all of our lives..........genuflected when we passed the Tabernacle. The Ad Populum  position of the priest succeeded in turning the Mass into a performance & on & on.

Cardinal Ottavani was very old during Vatican II. He served his Church faithfully for many, MANY years ,,,,,,,,,,,,, yet was ridiculed at the Council:

With continued world-wide interest in Vatican II, another internal matter concerning the proceedings of the Council concerning Ottaviani found its way into international news. During the October 30, 1962 session concerning changes to the Mass, he went beyond the 10-minute limit imposed on all speakers. Upon Octtaviani passing this mark Cardinal Tisserant, Dean of the Council Presidents showed his watch to the council president for the day Cardinal Bernard Alfrink of Utrecht (whom the Associated Press described as "one of the most outspoken members...who want to see far-reaching changes inside the church."[6]). Ottaviani engrossed in his topic went on condemning the proposed changes, saying "Are we seeking to stir up wonder, or perhaps scandal, among the Christian people, by introducing changes in so venerable a rite, that has been approved for so many centuries and is now so familiar? The rite of Holy Mass should not be treated as if it were a piece of cloth to be refashioned according to the whim of each generation."[7] When he had reached fifteen minutes Alfrink rang a warning bell. When Ottaviani kept speaking, Alfrink signalled to a technician who switched off the microphone. After tapping the microphone to determine it was off, the half-blind Ottaviani stumbled back to his seat in humiliation while "there was scattered applause in the council hall" by members of the Council Fathers.

Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - 2Vermont - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 02:39 PM)JoniCath Wrote:
(08-17-2013, 10:09 AM)2Vermont Wrote: http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/REFORMOF.HTM

You all have probably known about this, but I am just finding this letter by Cardinal Ottaviani to Paul VI regarding the New Mass.

WOW.

Edited by Vox to hook up link and to remove ALL CAPS in subject line

I first read this letter about 7-8 yrs. ago. I agree with everything in it. The separation of the Tabernacle from the Altar, IMO., was an insult to all of us Catholics who had........all of our lives..........genuflected when we passed the Tabernacle. The Ad Populum  position of the priest succeeded in turning the Mass into a performance & on & on.

Cardinal Ottavani was very old during Vatican II. He served his Church faithfully for many, MANY years ,,,,,,,,,,,,, yet was ridiculed at the Council:

With continued world-wide interest in Vatican II, another internal matter concerning the proceedings of the Council concerning Ottaviani found its way into international news. During the October 30, 1962 session concerning changes to the Mass, he went beyond the 10-minute limit imposed on all speakers. Upon Octtaviani passing this mark Cardinal Tisserant, Dean of the Council Presidents showed his watch to the council president for the day Cardinal Bernard Alfrink of Utrecht (whom the Associated Press described as "one of the most outspoken members...who want to see far-reaching changes inside the church."[6]). Ottaviani engrossed in his topic went on condemning the proposed changes, saying "Are we seeking to stir up wonder, or perhaps scandal, among the Christian people, by introducing changes in so venerable a rite, that has been approved for so many centuries and is now so familiar? The rite of Holy Mass should not be treated as if it were a piece of cloth to be refashioned according to the whim of each generation."[7] When he had reached fifteen minutes Alfrink rang a warning bell. When Ottaviani kept speaking, Alfrink signalled to a technician who switched off the microphone. After tapping the microphone to determine it was off, the half-blind Ottaviani stumbled back to his seat in humiliation while "there was scattered applause in the council hall" by members of the Council Fathers.

Were the Council Fathers applauding what he said or that he was made to shut up?

This makes me cry. That poor man.

Look what they've done. 

Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - guacamole - 08-17-2013

As a matter of hygiene, would you please include in your quotes only what is necessary?  Don't quote the whole thing over and over.

Thanks.

Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - jovan66102 - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 02:52 PM)guacamole Wrote: As a matter of hygiene, would you please include in your quotes only what is necessary?  Don't quote the whole thing over and over.

Thanks.

One of my pet peeves, which I've complained about before, with little or no effect! :)

(08-17-2013, 03:14 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(08-17-2013, 02:52 PM)guacamole Wrote: As a matter of hygiene, would you please include in your quotes only what is necessary?  Don't quote the whole thing over and over.

Thanks.

One of my pet peeves, which I've complained about before, with little or no effect! :)

Sorry guys, I do try to do this.  However, sometimes I hate just the opposite when folks respond to a post/posts and I have to figure out exactly what the response was meant for.  I think some of the multiple quoting is necessary.

Anyway, this Cardinal should be named a saint.

Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - jovan66102 - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 03:17 PM)2Vermont Wrote:
(08-17-2013, 03:14 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Thanks.

Sorry guys, I do try to do this.  However, sometimes I hate just the opposite when folks respond to a post/posts and I have to figure out exactly what the response was meant for.  I think some of the multiple quoting is necessary.

It's not that hard to quote the opening of the OP and type /snip/ at the end. :)

Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - St. Pius of Trent - 08-17-2013

This letter only scratches the surface......

Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - Justin - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 12:35 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote: By "slipped through" I imagine the poster above is referring to it showing up on EWTN without being removed instantly by those who would prefer this information did not get to the average Catholic in the pews.  Since many Catholics view EWTN as a very authoritative source for information on the Church, it is much harder to dismiss things like this as the rantings of the "mad-trad" or "rad-trad" crowd, and they might actually be taken seriously and given the consideration they deserve. 

But of course, I could be wrong...  :) 
You could be wrong, but you are not.  :P

Re: I'm first finding this: Letter on Novus Ordo Missae - lumine - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 08:22 PM)JMartyr Wrote:
(08-17-2013, 12:35 PM)Sant Anselmo Wrote: By "slipped through" I imagine the poster above is referring to it showing up on EWTN without being removed instantly by those who would prefer this information did not get to the average Catholic in the pews.  Since many Catholics view EWTN as a very authoritative source for information on the Church, it is much harder to dismiss things like this as the rantings of the "mad-trad" or "rad-trad" crowd, and they might actually be taken seriously and given the consideration they deserve. 

But of course, I could be wrong...  :) 
You could be wrong, but you are not.  :P

Well, thank you both for the clarification!