FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
German bishop under investigation - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: German bishop under investigation (/showthread.php?tid=65574)

Pages: 1 2

German bishop under investigation - Dom Hamberg - 10-10-2013

His grace the bishop of Limburg, Germany +Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst is being investigated by the Holy See after a rather unusual scandal caused a storm of protests.

http://news.sky.com/story/1152363/german-bishop-under-fire-over-26m-residence

And all the poor fellow did was try to build a small house, which as German episcopal residences goes, is quite modest.
Another one, though because of ongoing restorations probably not in use, for comparison
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BCrzburg_Residence

I am sure his successor will enjoy the cozy surroundings.

Re: German bishop under investigation - Basilios - 10-10-2013

Someone in the article said that we aren't in the middle ages anymore. Idiot. Lapping up the anti Catholic false history.

But yeah this Bishop is naughty.

Re: German bishop under investigation - Cetil - 10-10-2013

According to this report  he is in the clear, at least as far as the Vatican is concerned :
"After investigating charges of lavish spending in a German diocese, the Vatican has cleared the bishop of wrongdoing.

Bishop Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst of Limburg is “quite delighted” with the results of the Vatican probe, a diocesan spokesman said. The bishop had been harshly criticized for renovations to his residence and a diocesan office building.

Cardinal Giovanni Lajolo, the retired president of the Vatican city-state governorate, traveled to Germany to confer with local clergy about the complaints against the bishop and to check diocesan financial records. His investigation reportedly ended with the conclusion that Bishop Tebart-van Elst was not guilty of wrongdoing.

A spokesman for the Limburg diocese acknowledged that the Vatican’s support would not end the bishop’s difficulties. Bishop Tebartz-van Elst had been assailed by critics who compared him unfavorably to his predecessor, the spokesman said, and “obtaining the loyalty of priests and lay Catholics will be a big problem.”
http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=19203

C.

Re: German bishop under investigation - winoblue1 - 10-10-2013

I have heard this isn't really about money, but about 'ideological differences' such as this bishop is more 'conservative' than his predecessor.
Just from the article itself one of the people quoted was fired by the bishop and now he is complaining about the spending.
One wonders if he would have complained if he wasn't fired.

Well. Maybe it's not my place to ask, and perhaps there is more to it with this particular building, but I wonder, 26million pounds?

I live in a very, very nice house that my parents (both very senior level in international companies) have just paid off - worth about £800k on the house market. I also know that there are decent houses that a family of 4 can live in around my area for about £120k.

So my question is why on earth does a Bishop need a house that is £26million?

Re: German bishop under investigation - OldMan - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 11:12 AM)Basilios Wrote: Well. Maybe it's not my place to ask, and perhaps there is more to it with this particular building, but I wonder, 26million pounds?

I live in a very, very nice house that my parents (both very senior level in international companies) have just paid off - worth about £800k on the house market. I also know that there are decent houses that a family of 4 can live in around my area for about £120k.

So my question is why on earth does a Bishop need a house that is £26million?

Building costs have skyrocketed, you know! Besides, it would seem that Francis wants to give more control to local bishops.

Re: German bishop under investigation - christulsa123 - 10-10-2013

I read an article recently (cant seem to find it) that described the bishop's residence as part of a new chancery.  I believe the residence itself is a fraction of the cost that is being criticized.  So those attacking the bishop (now found innocent) may be confusing the cost of the residence with the cost of the chancery itself.

Also, I believe I read this bishop is very traditional.  He supports and regularly celebrates the TLM, and his NO Masses are very solemn.  Any info to verify this?  If so, that would make him a target of the liberals.

:incense:

(10-10-2013, 02:10 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: I read an article recently (cant seem to find it) that described the bishop's residence as part of a new chancery.  I believe the residence itself is a fraction of the cost that is being criticized.  So those attacking the bishop (now found innocent) may be confusing the cost of the residence with the cost of the chancery itself.

Also, I believe I read this bishop is very traditional.  He supports and regularly celebrates the TLM, and his NO Masses are very solemn.  Any info to verify this?  If so, that would make him a target of the liberals.

I thought there was more to it. I know that building costs can skyrocket quickly if the building is old, if complete foundational changes need to be made, if utility changes need to be made (water pipes, tanks, etc). But even with all that it sounded excessive. However, if it's true that there is actually a big chancery involved too, then perhaps 26million is modest. It's hard to know these days.

Re: German bishop under investigation - DominvsSabaoth - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 02:10 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: I read an article recently (cant seem to find it) that described the bishop's residence as part of a new chancery.  I believe the residence itself is a fraction of the cost that is being criticized.  So those attacking the bishop (now found innocent) may be confusing the cost of the residence with the cost of the chancery itself.

yes, the liberals spew their excrement from their mouths, feeding it to the children and deliberately miss-catechizing them.
.  it makes me sick

Re: German bishop under investigation - christulsa123 - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 09:00 PM)DominvsSabaoth Wrote:

yes, the liberals spew their excrement from their mouths, feeding it to the children and deliberately miss-catechizing them.
.   it makes me sick

I know. I know. A high midi-chlorian count, you have, young Padawan learner.  Beware of the dark side, and follow the way of trad.

:asianbow: