FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Weightlifting and the cult of the body - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Weightlifting and the cult of the body (/showthread.php?tid=66347)

Pages: 1 2

Weightlifting and the cult of the body - Lando - 11-16-2013

I have a serious concern about our nephew.  He is very much involved with weight lifting and bodybuilding.  We believe that, although weight lifting in se is not sinful, it can easily become so, especially for young men.  It leads in short order to what Pope Benedict XVI has termed "the cult of the body."  It also nurtures narcissism, anger and contrary behavior.  Our nephew displays all of these characteristics.

He was a pious young man and an altar server, but he has changed under the influence of this milieu.

I ask your prayers for him.  Also, I would appreciate any thoughts about this phenomenon and how it relates to Catholic teaching.

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - Clare Brigid - 11-16-2013

Anything done to excess or for the wrong reasons can be sinful.

I agree that bodybuilding culture can feed narcissism, but the narcissism was probably already there to be fed.

There is nothing wrong with toning the body, but gym culture encourages steroid use and other questionable "supplements," from what I understand.  It can become a Fifth Commandment issue.

It's really a question for this young man's confessor.  I hope he has a regular confessor.

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - Tim - 11-16-2013

Ten years ago EWTN had some programs on a German thing a sort of cult of health and youth. I guess Obama has helped kick start it here.

:pray:

tim

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - Cetil - 11-16-2013

I guess it's a normal part of our culture that is so focused on personal image and wanting to look like a movie star. I will pray for him and I hope someone can teach him to appreciate the good qualities he has which have nothing to do with appearance. Young people today need to be taught that personal qualities such as their character are so much more important than "looking good". Appearances will fade and there is no turning back the clock.

C.

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - drummerboy - 11-16-2013

Too bad I can't remember which episode it was, but in M*A*S*H Radar decided to lift weights to become a "real man" and then Col. Potter sees him and cautions: "Son, you'll get old and all that muscle will turn to fat!"  No-one like Potter to give advice!

(11-16-2013, 08:38 AM)Cetil Wrote: I guess it's a normal part of our culture that is so focused on personal image and wanting to look like a movie star. I will pray for him and I hope someone can teach him to appreciate the good qualities he has which have nothing to do with appearance. Young people today need to be taught that personal qualities such as their character are so much more important than "looking good". Appearances will fade and there is no turning back the clock.

C.

I echo that as well.  Besides, those bodybuilders do nothing but stack on lots of useless muscle; they can't do physical labor for crap.  I'd take a skinny farm boy over a body builder any day.

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - Clare Brigid - 11-16-2013

(11-16-2013, 01:23 PM)drummerboy Wrote: I'd take a skinny farm boy over a body builder any day.

You're right.

I have no intention of starting any kind of weight training regimen.  What I do want to start, probably next year, is Pilates.  It would be for flexibility and toning, and just to have a nice activity.

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - dark lancer - 11-16-2013

What's his motive in weight lifting?  It can be a sport like any other.  God gave mankind this kind of potential:

Of course, it could be about "hey girls look at me."

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - ArturoOrtiz - 11-16-2013

I am glad that you started this thread. My cousin and I have been going to the gym frequently and we are planning on renewing our memberships or simply buying our own equipment. My cousin is much more into getting bigger and being toned and stuff. I work out mostly in order to stay fit and develop strength.

In contrast with my cousin who uses a lot of supplements I hardly use anything. The only thing I usually do is eat a bit more and drink protein shakes and such.

I always try not to abuse or go overboard in exercising.

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - salus - 11-16-2013

Many gays are into bodybuilding to attract other men

Re: Weightlifting and the cult of the body - christulsa123 - 11-16-2013

It has its use. Physical rehab. Beef up Navy Seals. Tone muscles in serious need of toning.

But I dont see it as a good form of physical exercise the way it is commonly done. Its not natural or healthy. Yes, encourages narcissism. I had a friend who dove into bodybuilding and became an entirely different person.

Pray for your nephew. Encourage him to focus on his soul and being healthy rather than his image.