FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Theology and Philosophy (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? (/showthread.php?tid=66388)

at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - medievalman86 - 11-18-2013

of course not speaking against church prayers, praying the rosary, etc (some may assume i am though lol, that special person exists in all forums)

but,  was it padre pio who prayed the rosary 30 times a day?

for him was it? im guessing he and God would be the only judge of that.

but for you personally how do you know?

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - Chestertonian - 11-18-2013

There is nothing vain about praying the Rosary.  I know of some orders of nuns that pray it perpetually, getting up at all hours to keep this constant rosary going in their chapel.  It's also a very pious devotion to pray the Rosary while you are doing other things such as cooking, driving, walking, etc.  St. Louis de Montfort did warn against hurrying through the Rosary when he wrote, "Whenever you say the Rosary, be sure to ask for some special grace or virtue, or strength to overcome some sin. . . . Control your tendency to hurry and pause at times while saying the Our Father and the Hail Mary. . . . Whenever possible, the Rosary should be said kneeling, with hands joined, clasping the Rosary. . . . But it can be said while walking or even working . . . If you cannot find the time to say five decades continuously, say a decade here and a decade there; you will in this way be able, in spite of your work and other demands on your time, to complete the whole Rosary before going to bed"

I think there is something wrong with just rushing through prayers all half-assed just for the sake of having said them.  It is better to say fewer prayers with a purpose.  That being said I wouldn't doubt that Padre Pio could say 30 Rosaries a day with devotion.  He could also bilocate and he had the stigmata so I wouldn't put it past him.

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - SaintSebastian - 11-19-2013

The translation "vain repetitions" is somewhat misleading--the true meaning is more about using many words and babbling on and on.  The point is that what is forbidden, according to eh Haydock commentary, is "rhetorical and elaborate prayer, as if we thought to persuade God by our eloquence," not perseverance in prayer or repitition of prayers (which happens, for example in the psalms).

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - Chestertonian - 11-19-2013

(11-19-2013, 12:48 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: The translation "vain repetitions" is somewhat misleading--the true meaning is more about using many words and babbling on and on.  The point is that what is forbidden, according to eh Haydock commentary, is "rhetorical and elaborate prayer, as if we thought to persuade God by our eloquence," not perseverance in prayer or repitition of prayers (which happens, for example in the psalms).

I used to have some Protestant friends I hung out with in college.  Every meal with them was like a marathon, I swear it took them a half hour just to get through grace.  They made "Bless us O Lord, for these Thy gifts" look like "rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub"

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - Zea mays - 11-19-2013

i know how you feel, going to my family's house for dinner, its an exercise in patience. its like a years worth of petitions and prayers of the faithful for every meal.

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - Clare Brigid - 11-19-2013

The point of "repetitious prayers," whether it is the Holy Rosary, the Jesus Prayer, or psalm verses, is to help us remain present to God.  It is this -- being present to God, with or without acts of the will -- which is really the prayer.

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - SaintSebastian - 11-19-2013

Just to add, Luke 18:1-8 also demonstrates that repetitious prayer is not vain.  Those who cry out to God repeatedly will be heard and answered.

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - medievalman86 - 11-19-2013

okay so my question was at what point do you personally feel that maybe your praying has gone beyond "acceptable"  into the "unacceptable"  (depending on how you look at vain/repetitious) and the answer was largely "it doesnt"???

thats fine...

just curious

which is why i prefaced my op by "of course not speaking against church prayers, praying the rosary, etc (some may assume i am though lol, that special person exists in all forums)"

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - Poche - 11-23-2013

The blind man called out many times for Jesus to heal him even though Jesus heard him the first time and the crowd was after him to be quiet. The publican prayed the same prayer many times and he was heard over the Pharisee even though the Pharisee was supposedly a better man than he was.

Re: at what point do my prayers classify as vain and repetious? - KevinM - 11-26-2013

I too was curious about this. I have been praying for a serious situation and intention to St. Jude, St. Rita, St. Joseph, Our Lady, and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I was wondering if at some point they all roll their eyes and say: Ugh...him again....
I wonder if I can become a prayer pest..........

Kevin