FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome Wagon (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Announcements, Welcomes, Goodbyes, & Forum Problems (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation (/showthread.php?tid=67058)

New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation - StPhilipNeri - 01-01-2014

Hi - I'm new here and starting a new journey as a Catholic.

I was raised Catholic in Southern California in the 1980s. My family moved to New Mexico in the early 1990s and my parents divorced soon after. My family stopped attending mass regularly and I was never confirmed in the faith.

Not much later I began attending a military high school and eventually went on to a military college. Upon graduation (months after 9/11), I joined the US Army as an officer and served in Afghanistan & Iraq. My wife and I were married upon my return from Iraq, and then I changed jobs and after a long training period I served in other parts of the world.

I left the Army a couple years ago and went right into graduate school. I just finished this past summer and now I'm working in the IT industry.  My wife and I had our first child less than 2 months ago.

I always knew I wanted to be confirmed eventually. I had been attending the church where my wife and I were married - it's a very liberal Franciscan one and while I appreciate the affability of the priests and the importance of the parish to the community, the rock guitar accompaniment grated. The calls to protest hydraulic fracking were ridiculous. The messages of trendy tolerance (not Christian forgiveness or God's love, but a pop culture doctrine of shallow nonjudgmentalism) in place of conviction were too much. It felt like every mass was a feel-good affirmation of anything the congregants wanted it to affirm. And worst of all, I couldn't have felt further from God.

Luckily where we live you can't go a few feet without finding another parish. I found an FSSP Chapel that's not too far from home. I'm hoping to get confirmed this year through the chapel. I'm glad to have found this site as well.

As I get deeper into traditional Catholic culture, habits, and thought, what should I consider? Is there anything in particular I should add to my reading list?

I got a bit more than halfway through James Kalb's Tyranny of Liberalism this summer (fantastic explanations, concepts and reassurances, but tough to fight through sometimes) and  when I found out about Dietrich von Hildebrand I ordered Trojan Horse in the City of God, but haven't gotten into it yet.  I read Mere Christianity on a business trip recently and I really appreciated CS Lewis's perspective on general Christianity.

Thanks for the opportunity to post here. I look forward to your advice.

Re: New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation - TeaGuyTom - 01-01-2014

Welcome StPhilipNeri  :hello!:

http://www.fisheaters.com/traditionalcatholicism.html

This is a good tutorial as to the origins and basics of Traditional Catholicism
The main Fisheaters site has lots of goodies listed under the "For Catholics" section.
http://fisheaters.com/forcatholics.html

Re: New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation - TeaGuyTom - 01-01-2014

http://ourladysgiftshop.org/content/visitor-mass-1962-missal
[Image: for-the-visitor-at-mass61556sm.jpg]
This is a handy little step by step explanation that goes through the traditional mass. I got one at a mass i went to. It's pretty handy for a newbie and has pics.

Re: New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation - StPhilipNeri - 01-01-2014

Thanks, Tom. This should work!

Re: New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation - Chestertonian - 01-02-2014

Welcome!!

I found "Transformation in Christ" by Von Hildebrand very helpful when I was converting.  another great book by him is "charitable anathema"

Re: New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation - VoxClamantis - 01-02-2014

This section of the FE site has pretty much everything you need to know in order to fit in at an FSSP-run parish:  http://www.fisheaters.com/beingcatholic.html

At the bottom right column, you'll see a link with the text "Catholic Library" which has a LOT of books you might want to read, too.

Anyway, know that I truly believe you're headed in the right direction. Traditional Catholic teaching is true, and the traditional Sacramental rites, the ancient Catholic customs and devotions -- all so rich and beautiful!  Just be careful of falling into the trap of becoming what I call "a toxic trad" Know that a true conversion of the heart, a deep love of God and neighbor, and the sine qua non of practicing the Holy Faith. Without those, it's all for nothing. Some trads tend to treat the Faith as a mere philosophy, thinking that if they come to the proper intellectual conclusions, then they're in like Flynn. But it doesn't work that way. It's even worse when that type of trad then goes on to loving to debate and argue and be RIGHT more than anything, turning people off and away from the Church in the process. I post these verses pretty often and will do it again now:

I Corinthians 13:1-8
If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.  And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.  And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.  Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up; Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil;  rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth;  beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.  Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed.

James 2:15-26 
What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? And if a brother or sister be naked, and want daily food: And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit? So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith. Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou, that faith did co-operate with his works; and by works faith was made perfect?  And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. Do you see that by works a man is justified; and not by faith only? And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers, and sending them out another way? For even as the body without the spirit is dead; so also faith without works is dead.

Anyway! Welcome to the forum!  Have a lovely pavlova!

[Image: crown_layered_pavlova_80809_16x9.jpg]

Re: New to FishEaters & working on the Sacrament of Confirmation - RedCaves - 01-03-2014

Another grad student! HI!!!  :grin: