FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
"Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors (/showthread.php?tid=67230)

Pages: 1 2 3

"Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - eschera - 01-12-2014

SUNDAY, JANUARY 12, 2014

[Image: gammcon.jpg]

http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/

The Scarlet Is Served – Pope Reveals 19 New Cardinals

With nary a leak on the timing, at the Noon Angelus on this feast of the Baptism of the Lord Pope Francis unveiled the biglietto of 19 prelates – 16 electors, three "honorary" picks over age 80 – to whom he'll give the red hat at his first Consistory on February 22nd.

As expected, the list is topped by four Curialists – with, in a significant shift, the head of the newly-enhanced Synod of Bishops, Cardinal-designate Lorenzo Baldisseri, outranking the prefect of the CDF, Cardinal-designate Gerhard Ludwig Müller – but the big story is the likewise-foreseen predominance of names not just from well outside the Vatican, but considerably off the traditional path of membership in the papal "Senate," including the first-ever cardinals from Haiti, the outer Caribbean and Burkina Faso... and with them, the heads of only two European sees.

In the order of precedence by which they'll be inducted, here's the list – first, the electors:

Archbishop Pietro Parolin, Secretary of State (Italy)

Archbishop Lorenzo Baldisseri, Secretary General of the Synod of Bishops (Italy)

Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Müller, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (Germany)

Archbishop Beniamino Stella, Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy (Italy)

Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster (Great Britain)

Archbishop Leopoldo José Brenes Solórzano of Managua (Nicaragua)

Archbishop Gérald Cyprien Lacroix of Québec (Canada)

Archbishop Jean-Pierre Kutwa of Abidjan (Ivory Coast)

Archbishop Orani João Tempesta, O.Cist. of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

Archbishop Gualtiero Bassetti of Perugia-Città della Pieve (Italy)

Archbishop Mario Aurelio Poli of Buenos Aires (Argentina)

Archbishop Andrew Yeom Soo Jung of Seoul (South Korea)

Archbishop Ricardo Ezzati Andrello SDB of Santiago de Chile

Archbishop Philippe Nakellentuba Ouédraogo of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)

Archbishop Orlando B. Quevedo, OMI of Cotabato (Philippines)

Bishop Chibly Langlois of Les Cayes (Haïti)

...and the three cardinals-designate over 80:

Archbishop Loris Francesco Capovilla

Archbishop Fernando Sebastián Aguilar, CMF, emeritus of Pamplona (Spain)

Archbishop Kelvin Edward Felix, emeritus of Castries (St Lucia/Dominica)

:)

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - EnglishConvert - 01-12-2014

The omission of Archbishop Andre-Joseph Leonard is awful. He's been attacked by secularists so many times, but has produced so many priests; he's a model Bishop. If anyone should be a Cardinal is should be him....

Disappointed to see the Patriarch of Venice didn't get a Cardinal's hat either.... By far the most traditional of Siri's boys

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - Zea mays - 01-12-2014

no ones broken them down by levels of orthodoxy yet?

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - Oatmeal - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 01:58 PM)Zea mays Wrote: no ones broken them down by levels of orthodoxy yet?

I don't know about the others, but I bet you're going to hear a lot about Archbishop Nichols.

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - eschera - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 01:14 PM)EnglishConvert Wrote: The omission of Archbishop Andre-Joseph Leonard is awful. He's been attacked by secularists so many times, but has produced so many priests; he's a model Bishop. If anyone should be a Cardinal is should be him....

Disappointed to see the Patriarch of Venice didn't get a Cardinal's hat either.... By far the most traditional of Siri's boys

"Papa Bergoglio has touched off yet another earthquake by passing over the heads of the historic "cardinalatial sees" of Venice and Turin both"  The influence of Europe will likely diminish over the remainder of the 21st century...
[Image: conc0.jpg]

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - eschera - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 03:20 PM)Oatmeal Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 01:58 PM)Zea mays Wrote: no ones broken them down by levels of orthodoxy yet?

I don't know about the others, but I bet you're going to hear a lot about Archbishop Nichols.

I read an interview where he said as a young man he just wanted to drive a lorry (truck), "I'd go to watch Liverpool and stand on the Kop at Anfield, and say to God: 'Why don't you just leave me alone? Why can't I just be one of a crowd?"

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - IXOYE - 01-12-2014

Could someone explain what this means for the church ?

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - LoyalVIews - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 03:55 PM)eschera Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 03:20 PM)Oatmeal Wrote:

I read an interview where he said as a young man he just wanted to drive a lorry (truck), "I'd go to watch Liverpool and stand on the Kop at Anfield, and say to God: 'Why don't you just leave me alone? Why can't I just be one of a crowd?"

In his defence, that was when he was asked a question about how he became a priest, and believe it or not, that's a common thing for a priestly "candidate". Resistance is a sign that one is meant for the vocation. He's the the MOST ideal bishop, but, I'd like to see the rest shown in orthodoxy. How orthodox each one is, the things they've done during their time as bishop, etc...

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - Skarga - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 04:15 PM)IXOYE Wrote: Could someone explain what this means for the church ?

The Church has shifted hard left. The John Paul II/Benedict XVI era is officially over.

I'm absolutely shocked that Venice and Turin got snubbed. This is a big message being sent out by Francis. The Italian domination of the papacy is over, their last chance to save their power was in Scola and they couldn't unite to elect him. More than half of the cardinals are outside of Europe, Rome is going to start to look like the United Nations.

The most obvious progressive for most people is soon to be Card. Mueller, who like Francis is sympathetic to a "soft" version of Liberation theology. You can tell who's a progressive bishop/cardinal by the pectoral cross they wear, especially if the picture was taken in the pre-Francis days. Conservatives wear gold, progressives usually but not always wear silver or some cheaper metal that is silver in colour such as iron. Appearances can be deceiving, some liberals still wear gold crosses so the gold = conservative isn't always true.

Examples:

Gérald Cyprien Lacroix. He wears a silver cross. It's a Franciscan cross, a cross that has been adopted by progressives after the II Vatican Council to symbolize the poor church, ecology, and ecumenism. He replaced the Ratzingerian Ouellet as the primate of Canada, a very progressive dominated country.
[Image: Gerald_Lacroix-180x246.jpg]

Jean-Pierre Kutwa. Wearing a silver looking cross.
[Image: Archeveque-kutwa-266x300.jpg]

Orani João Tempesta. Wearing a silver or iron cross.
[Image: Orani+Jo%C3%A3o+Tempesta.jpg]

Ricardo Ezzati Andrello. Simple wooden crosier. He also wears a silver or iron Franciscan cross but the picture is too big.
[Image: 300px-Cardenalerrazuriz.JPG]

Orlando B. Quevedo. Most pictures of him are in lay clothes. In this picture he's got an iron or silver chain.
[Image: Quevedo-web.jpg]

Chibly Langlois. Iron or silver cross.
[Image: 13361625675.jpg]

I can keep going on and on but I'll leave it here. Some of the guys that were elevated, particularly some of the Italians, where done for administrative reasons.

Here's some other examples of progressives wearing silver/iron to prove my point.

Roger Mahony. It's... blue?
[Image: 23070-mahoney.jpg]
His successor in LA?
[Image: Cardinal%2BMahony%2BAnnounces%2BSan%2BAn...IfxrVl.jpg]

Pope Francis. Simple crosier. Simple cross.
[Image: Pope-Francis.jpg]
[Image: 168153092.jpg]

EDIT:

I believe Venice got snubbed because the patriarch is very conservative.

Re: "Scarlet Bowl" unveiled, 3 Cardinals over 80 and 16 Cardinal electors - IXOYE - 01-12-2014

Does every pope hand select his arch bishops?