FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Married Man Ordained Catholic Priest - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Married Man Ordained Catholic Priest (/showthread.php?tid=67874)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Married Man Ordained Catholic Priest - Papist - 02-28-2014

(02-28-2014, 11:31 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: 100% agree with Farmer. Imposing the practice of mandatory celibacy is the reason the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese exists in the US - a majority of Ruthenian Catholic immigrants were scandalized by this infringement of their valid traditions and became Orthodox as a result. Even if one doesn't agree with becoming Orthodox over this, traditional Latin Catholics can certainly sympathize with having sacred traditions trampled on!

If these Churches sui juris are really sui juris, then let them manage their affairs! Does subsidiarity not apply to the government of the Churches?
Very well stated.

Re: Married Man Ordained Catholic Priest - aquinas138 - 02-28-2014

(02-28-2014, 01:41 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote: I don't know why this is news.  It's not news when a Byzantine Catholic bishop ordains a married man to the priesthood.

Because it's a new development for Maronites in the US. The Metropolitan Church of Pittsburgh also requires the dispensation from Rome to ordain a married man in the US.

Re: Married Man Ordained Catholic Priest - Papist - 02-28-2014

(02-28-2014, 02:47 PM)Drover Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 12:57 PM)loggats Wrote: ...this isn't the same thing at all, austenbosten. Eastern/Oriental Catholics should not have Latin tradition imposed on them as somehow normative.

I don't see how it is exactly fair to Roman Catholic Seminarians either.

Effectively, by virtue of the geography of their birth, they can't marry?

Telling them to go switch rites doesn't help either, we know that they get discouraged from that, and that it is a bureaucratic hassle.
What is unfair is imposing priestly celibacy on Byzantines when it was never their tradition.

Re: Married Man Ordained Catholic Priest - loggats - 02-28-2014

(02-28-2014, 02:47 PM)Drover Wrote:
(02-28-2014, 12:57 PM)loggats Wrote: ...this isn't the same thing at all, austenbosten. Eastern/Oriental Catholics should not have Latin tradition imposed on them as somehow normative.

I don't see how it is exactly fair to Roman Catholic Seminarians either.

Effectively, by virtue of the geography of their birth, they can't marry?

Telling them to go switch rites doesn't help either, we know that they get discouraged from that, and that it is a bureaucratic hassle.

I would agree. There should only be celibacy amongst religious (obviously) and archbishops should be chosen from the monastic houses. The Orthodox have that right at least.

(That's me playing armchair pontiff :D )