FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Can anyone help understand what to expect at a Byzantine Catholic Church? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Can anyone help understand what to expect at a Byzantine Catholic Church? (/showthread.php?tid=68353)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Can anyone help understand what to expect at a Byzantine Catholic Church? - spasiisochrani - 04-08-2014

(04-08-2014, 03:27 AM)loggats Wrote: Once again, I feel the need to reiterate that (having lived in three countries over a span of some ten years and visited my fair share of NO parishes) I've never encountered the kinds of abuses you guys talk about on a regular basis, and seem to think of as par for the course. I guess YMMV.

I never have, either.  And it's worth noting that Ukrainian Catholic churches almost never use Church Slavonic; they have been using vernacular Ukrainian since the 1970s.  You re much more likely to find Church Slavonic in a Ruthenian church, although English is pretty much the norm in the US.  The two links I posted are English services that are representative of Ruthenian/Romanian practice, and I don't think you'll find too much weirdness there.

Re: Can anyone help understand what to expect at a Byzantine Catholic Church? - LoneWolfRadTrad - 04-08-2014

(04-08-2014, 11:16 AM)spasiisochrani Wrote:
(04-08-2014, 03:27 AM)loggats Wrote: Once again, I feel the need to reiterate that (having lived in three countries over a span of some ten years and visited my fair share of NO parishes) I've never encountered the kinds of abuses you guys talk about on a regular basis, and seem to think of as par for the course. I guess YMMV.

I never have, either.   And it's worth noting that Ukrainian Catholic churches almost never use Church Slavonic; they have been using vernacular Ukrainian since the 1970s.  You re much more likely to find Church Slavonic in a Ruthenian church, although English is pretty much the norm in the US.  The two links I posted are English services that are representative of Ruthenian/Romanian practice, and I don't think you'll find too much weirdness there.

I notice in alot of cities, there's usually the one "crowning jewel" parish where there are only a few problems and the Catholics are more or less conservative.  Not traditional, but conservative, with a few traditionally minded people.

But for the most part, the rest of the parishes in the area will be a downhill slope of liturgical abuse and non-Catholic style worship included in the Mass and outright heterodoxy in the parish's activities. 

Also, I guess that's true about the Ukrainians and Old Church Slavonic.  Though I rarely hear people complain about liturgical abuse or doctrinal heterodoxy among the Ukrainians. 

Re: Can anyone help understand what to expect at a Byzantine Catholic Church? - Papist - 04-08-2014

Expect a lot of beauty, a lot of repetition in the liturgy, and a lot of mystery. I suggest not following the missal for the first time. Just experience the liturgy, soaking it all in.

Re: Can anyone help understand what to expect at a Byzantine Catholic Church? - Jeanannemarie - 04-08-2014

I am getting excited about trying this.  I think perhaps the first part of May I will be able to make the trip.  Thank you everyone.