FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Other Religions (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina (/showthread.php?tid=70616)

Pages: 1 2

Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - JacafamalaRedux - 10-28-2014

Seriously! The BBC did a documentary on an Amish Family who allowed themselves to be secretly filmed. Start listening @ 35:37 For Salve Regina.

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - JacafamalaRedux - 10-28-2014

Edit: it's actually only part of the Salve Regina. Still, wow.

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - Dirigible - 10-28-2014

I don't think that had anything to do with the Amish. I could believe they might be able to sing that well, but they certainly don't have that level of instrumentation and orchestration. It was added by the producers to give a nice quaint feel to the scene.

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - JacafamalaRedux - 10-28-2014

(10-28-2014, 08:41 PM)Dirigible Wrote: I don't think that had anything to do with the Amish. I could believe they might be able to sing that well, but they certainly don't have that level of instrumentation and orchestration. It was added by the producers to give a nice quaint feel to the scene.

A lot of the songs in the documentary were added, but if you back up a bit and listen a little further back, the film makers claim to be recording an actual worship service. It was agree that they would stay out of sight (in secret) and only record.

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - Dirigible - 10-28-2014

(10-28-2014, 10:58 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 08:41 PM)Dirigible Wrote: I don't think that had anything to do with the Amish. I could believe they might be able to sing that well, but they certainly don't have that level of instrumentation and orchestration. It was added by the producers to give a nice quaint feel to the scene.

A lot of the songs in the documentary were added, but if you back up a bit and listen a little further back, the film makers claim to be recording an actual worship service. It was agree that they would stay out of sight (in secret) and only record.

I watched from a few minutes back. I don't mean to be rude, but it seems very obvious to me that that music was added., from both the quality of it, both in terms of the performance itself and the audio quality, and how the camera never went inside the building but only recorded people going in.

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - Cyriacus - 10-29-2014

Within their services, Amish use the Ausbund, an Anabaptist hymnal from the 16th Century. The Salve Regina is not among these hymns. No musical notation is included in the hymnal, but it has been argued that elements of the music traditionally sung in Amish worship are derived from Gregorian chant. So, you might be on to something, even though the music in that clip was not authentic to Amish worship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausbund

An example of a hymn from the Ausbund

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - HollyDolly - 10-29-2014

Some of their music might stem from Gregorian chant possibly.They were catholics at one time,before becoming Anabaptists, so it's possible their music borrowed such elements. Now, I wonder if anyone has recorded a Waldesian service. They were asect founded by peter Waldo in the Midlle Ages,one of the very few from that time that survives, even though starting a new curhc wasn't what Waldo had in mind.

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - Dirigible - 10-29-2014

(10-29-2014, 02:11 PM)HollyDolly Wrote: Some of their music might stem from Gregorian chant possibly.They were catholics at one time,before becoming Anabaptists, so it's possible their music borrowed such elements. Now, I wonder if anyone has recorded a Waldesian service. They were asect founded by peter Waldo in the Midlle Ages,one of the very few from that time that survives, even though starting a new curhc wasn't what Waldo had in mind.

As I understand it, the Waldensians of today are just normal Protestants. The ones back then were something completely different.

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - MotherEffingby - 10-29-2014

The opening music sounds as though it came from the old shape note books used by Quakers, old Baptists, and other Protestant fundamentalist sects.  I believe Amish singing is nonharmonic.
I live in Lancaster county, PA, home to a large community of Old Order Amish, Mennonites and variants. Did anyone notice the electric meter on the house? Perhaps all houses - Amish included, have to be wired, but not electrified by law. You can usually tell whose house is Amish, from the lack of electrical wires.

Re: Real Amish worship service singing Salve Regina - JacafamalaRedux - 11-04-2014

(10-29-2014, 03:16 PM)MotherEffingby Wrote: The opening music sounds as though it came from the old shape note books used by Quakers, old Baptists, and other Protestant fundamentalist sects.  I believe Amish singing is nonharmonic.
I live in Lancaster county, PA, home to a large community of Old Order Amish, Mennonites and variants. Did anyone notice the electric meter on the house? Perhaps all houses - Amish included, have to be wired, but not electrified by law. You can usually tell whose house is Amish, from the lack of electrical wires.

We took a trip to Lancaster a few years back and stayed at a Mennonite B and B. I find the Amish way of life fascinating. We took a tour of that place that's set up like a real Amish home. I think their homes are beautiful.