FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Preferred Architectural Style - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Preferred Architectural Style (/showthread.php?tid=71770)

Pages: 1 2

Preferred Architectural Style - Neopelagianus - 03-03-2015

What is your preferred church architectural style? To prove your point, please after voting do state your reason and if possible, show pictures. I want this thread to be bombarded with so many pictures as far as possible  :).

N.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - Clare Brigid - 03-03-2015

I was just remembering this morning how much I like Art Deco church architecture and religious art.

Rorate Caeli had an ongoing series called "The Other Modern," in which they showcased various examples of traditional-oriented Art Deco architecture and images in Catholic Churches.  I thought it was very worthwhile.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - Neopelagianus - 03-03-2015

(03-03-2015, 11:04 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I was just remembering this morning how much I like Art Deco church architecture and religious art.

Rorate Caeli had an ongoing series called "The Other Modern," in which they showcased various examples of traditional-oriented Art Deco architecture and images in Catholic Churches.  I thought it was very worthwhile.
Yup. The Other Modern is very appealing.

N.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - Unum Sint - 03-03-2015

My favorite has always been gothic but Art Deco has always had a special place in my mind.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - Credidi Propter - 03-03-2015

I really like the "cluttered" look of Baroque churches.  Everything is so ornate and detailed- the more the better.  It's as if the building itself is some sort of blooming flower.  This style is rare in this country.

Gothic architecture is rough.  It looks strong, and imposing.  It also looks a little darker, more mysterious.  I like the sharp angles.  It reminds me of old folk tales, and always makes me think of cold weather.

Most of the Catholic churches in my town (that are still open) are of a Romanesque style.  I like the domes and arches that I always imagine in a church I'd design if I had the opportunity to design one myself.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - Farmer88 - 03-03-2015

My favorite is Gothic (French style, technically :P )

But I do enjoy Romanesque as well. Something about post-Reformation styles like Baroque and Roccoco also interest me.

I tend to enjoy Art Deco and certain styles like that too, like 1920s-1950s or so, but not in a church.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - formerbuddhist - 03-04-2015

I like those homely old stone churches like you see in parts of the British isles. I also like the simplicity of the 12th century Cistercians and the old wooden churches from parts of Russia. Simple is better.  For me it comes down to keeping it simple yet beautiful. I prefer icons, frescos and mosaics to statues but I love stained glass, dark stony interiors and a kind of homey feel.  I like it to smell like incense, candles and the mustiness of centuries. The closest I can get to this sort of thing is the Shrine of our Lady of La Leche over in St. Augustine, only I wish there was a better altar. Architecturally for me it's perfect, simple, stony,dark, largely unadorned.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - AdOrientem - 03-04-2015

In addition to Gothic, Romanesque and Byzantine, I like Beaux Arts and Art Nouveau.  Only seen one or two Beaux Arts churches and don't believe I've ever seen an Art Nouveau church.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - rasbat - 03-04-2015

The most over the top decadent late gothic architecture. rayonnant and flamboyant late medieval gothic structures especially. all of that "visual frosting" as I heard one lecturer call it is amazing. The more it resembles a visual circus in stone and glass the better it is for me. One more reason I cannot stand the minimalism of modern structures that resmble drab factory floors. Almost all of the nice churches in this region are turn of the century neo-gothic as that is what was popular when the area was settled. Seeing those all of my childhood and life the gothic style is just what a church should look like to me. It is the stock image that comes to mind upon any mention of a church. That being said there is something very nice about the cavernesque qualities of real romanesque churches.

Re: Preferred Architectural Style - ecclesiastes - 03-04-2015

(03-03-2015, 11:04 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I was just remembering this morning how much I like Art Deco church architecture and religious art.

Indeed. I love the Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Koekelberg (Brussel). The original design was for a neo-Gothic building, but then WWI broke out and the works were halted. After the war, they went with this Art Deco building:

[Image: basiliek-exterieur.jpg]