FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Yoga? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Yoga? (/showthread.php?tid=72201)

Pages: 1 2

Yoga? - xandratax - 05-12-2015

Cry!!!!!! I just wrote my whole post about yoga and it disappeared because suddenly I was no longer logged in! :'( is this a sign, that possibly answers my question:

Is it OK to do yoga, strictly as physical exercise?

Please no scare-mongering. I want to understand this intellectually, for myself, and to be able to explain to others why one should not give yoga for a different sport, if necessary.

As far as exercise goes, I am very limited in what I can do because I have deformed feet. I do yoga because the spastic, high-energy workouts are impossible for me. Pilates and other gymnastics are also work. But all I have now are yoga DVDs. None of the workouts that I do advocate religious elements, they are given by fitness instructors, and completely focused on the psychical. Any breathing techniques involved are related to the body and to aid the poses. I always find any kind of esoteric explanation of the poses distracting and have promptly avoided any yoga teachers or videos that incorporate them. I really wish that the Church would take an official position on this. As usual, confusion abounds. Help and don't hate me because I do yoga. I have currently suspended the practice until further clarification.

Re: Yoga? - Dirigible - 05-12-2015

I think if one were to reject yoga as exercise on the grounds that it was originally pagan in intent, one would have, to be consistent, to reject a great deal of other things which no one other than those Protestants who refuse to celebrate Christmas because it's "pagan" would be willing to reject. That is, however, only my unlearned opinion.

Re: Yoga? - Renatus Frater - 05-12-2015

The issue is not simply rejecting it because it has pagans origins, but how familiar are we to baptize these Asian things? Are we just doing inculturation the same way we did with the Mass for Africans? That is, not really converting the culture and bringing its particularities and treasures to the Church, to be under Christ, but just mixing two things and thus creating a chimera. I would suggest we haven't even began to baptize far eastern cultures.
Regarding the body thing, yes, what you do with your body matters. We are not Cartesian dualists nor any other sort of Gnostics. There's no way to separate the discipline of your body from the discipline of your self.

Re: Yoga? - Zedta - 05-12-2015

The objection that I have heard the most is that the 'poses' one assumes are each named after a Hindu god and there are attributes of that god imbued into the activities surrounding that particular pose. In essence, you inadvertently, give a kind of homage to the god just by assuming the pose and practicing the breathing techniques associated with each particular pose.

Your intent, I guess, could be totally innocent, yet still give homage, by outward manifestation of action, to that god. Basically, you are performing a type of worship by acting out a yoga repertoire, it would seem.

Re: Yoga? - xandratax - 05-12-2015

Yes, those are some the arguments that I have heard. But doesn't intent play a role? A Christian can read another religion's texts, for example, without running the risk of worshipping or believing them.

Apparently one woman actually made a Christian alternative to yoga called 'Praise Moves.' It uses yoga poses and Bible verses together. I consider that a noble effort, but I'm not the kind of person who meditates and prays while exercising. It strikes me as a bit weird, in fact, but might be good for kids. (http://praisemoves.com/about-us/)

I tried to find some official Hindu opinions of these secularized yoga practices, and apparently some are annoyed and created a 'Take Back Yoga' movement. This religion is a 'way of life' that one is 'born into.' Apparently there is no 'conversion.' On the very dubious 'How to Convert to Hinduism' page it says: 'Embracing Hinduism means letting your actions, thoughts, way of life and philosophy reflect your belief in Hinduism.' Not much further down it lists 'Start yoga' as a step. But most Hindus don't accept that, so one does not run the risk of becoming Hindu. In fact,the idea of a non-Hindu doing yoga is offensive to them. Wow, this is so nebulous and confusing, just like their religion. I feel like my thoughts are being reincarnated over and over into a thousand gods of meaninglessness. I feel like my thoughts.....Ok, end joke!

Just look at this:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/dec/14/what-really-thinking-yoga-teacher

Re: Yoga? - Zedta - 05-12-2015

(05-12-2015, 03:37 PM)xandratax Wrote: Yes, those are some the arguments that I have heard. But doesn't intent play a role? A Christian can read another religion's texts, for example, without running the risk of worshipping or believing them.

Perhaps you missed this part of my post.

(05-12-2015, 12:41 PM)Zedta Wrote: Your intent, I guess, could be totally innocent, yet still give homage, by outward manifestation of action, to that god. Basically, you are performing a type of worship by acting out a yoga repertoire, it would seem.

Delving into something that is unclean means that some of it will rub off on you and to some extent influence you in some way and more than likely, not in a good way. Why risk this happening? One should avoid evil at any intensity or degree, because evil has a way of looking perfectly normal, in the beginning...even logical, but it only leads to delusion and further evil.

Check out "Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit": http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/2010/07/brer_rabbit_meets_a_tar_baby.html

You are facing a potential 'Tar Baby' and the tar represents evil in this analogy.

Re: Yoga? - Poche - 05-12-2015

While doing yoga why not pray the rosary?

Re: Yoga? - xandratax - 05-13-2015

(05-12-2015, 12:41 PM)Zedta Wrote: Your intent, I guess, could be totally innocent, yet still give homage, by outward manifestation of action, to that god. Basically, you are performing a type of worship by acting out a yoga repertoire, it would seem.

I get what you are saying, but seriously, how can one worship a god/gods that A) one does not believe in, and B) does/do not even exist? It's not possible. What is possible, is that one develops a kind of self-worship and cult-of-the-body. This is what our priest mentioned in last Sunday's sermon regarding why one should avoid yoga, and it makes the most sense.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I'm going to switch to Pilates and explore other things.  :)

Re: Yoga? - Zedta - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 02:59 PM)xandratax Wrote: A) one does not believe in, and B) does/do not even exist? It's not possible.

A) In these sorts of things, Faith isn't an issue, its practice.

B) They do exist. They are the Fallen Angels and the Nefilim of Genesis 6. They are still around and they are why God decided to kill every living creature on earth. It is speculated that some survived the flood by going to high ground...VERY high ground. I have read about the Hindu 'gods' (my son-in-law's family is Hindu from India) and when I read it these gods have all the attributes of 'the men of renound' mentioned in that chapter.

Be careful where you put your faith, and I am sure you are, but there are many traps these days. Satan's power is nearing its peak and dilusions are all around!

Re: Yoga? - Sursum corda - 05-13-2015

Hmmm… When I attend church; I stand in Simplified Mountain, I sit in a Assisted Chair, I kneel in Simplified Camel and walk with Hands to Heart. All that and I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth, and in in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into Hell. On the third day He rose again. He ascended into Heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting…

Only you and God know your intent, cherish it.