FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
first class feasts vs Holy days - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: first class feasts vs Holy days (/showthread.php?tid=73510)

first class feasts vs Holy days - rasbat - 09-29-2015

Today is the feast of St. Michael the archangel. This was historically a major holy day the equivalent of the new year in the agricultural cycle and much else. it was abolished as a holy day of obligation in the eighteenth century but people are still familiar with the term "Michaelmas" it is what we call the embertide before this for example. it is no longer a holy day of obligation, but What is the obligation of the lay faithful as far as first class feasts in the liturgy as this one is still today? are we to work? can we do schoolwork? can we purchase things such as food? I just want to know as this is a bit confusing. It is the same designation as major holy days but it seems to not be observed or carry with it any requirements. what is the difference and where do we draw the line between a holy day and just a particularly notable feast day?

Re: first class feasts vs Holy days - Poche - 09-29-2015

The obligation of the faithful is the same as if it were a regular day. Liturgically it is a feast and mass is the mass of that feast. The Liturgy of the Hours is that of that feast. Even though St Michael has been combined with Sts Raphael and Gabriel it is still a feast day on the liturgical calendar. While going to mass is not obligatory it is highly recommended.
:) :) :) 

Re: first class feasts vs Holy days - aquinas138 - 09-29-2015

(09-29-2015, 03:41 AM)rasbat Wrote: Today is the feast of St. Michael the archangel. This was historically a major holy day the equivalent of the new year in the agricultural cycle and much else. it was abolished as a holy day of obligation in the eighteenth century but people are still familiar with the term "Michaelmas" it is what we call the embertide before this for example. it is no longer a holy day of obligation, but What is the obligation of the lay faithful as far as first class feasts in the liturgy as this one is still today? are we to work? can we do schoolwork? can we purchase things such as food? I just want to know as this is a bit confusing. It is the same designation as major holy days but it seems to not be observed or carry with it any requirements. what is the difference and where do we draw the line between a holy day and just a particularly notable feast day?

I think "day of rest" only applies to Sundays and holy days of obligation. All such Holy Days are I Class days, but not all I Class feasts are days of precept. They probably were in the past - well into the 19th century, there were something like 30+ days of obligation, but that number has rapidly fallen off.

Re: first class feasts vs Holy days - Paul - 09-29-2015

(09-29-2015, 05:28 AM)Poche Wrote: Even though St Michael has been combined with Sts Raphael and Gabriel it is still a feast day on the liturgical calendar.

Not in the 1962 calendar. All three angels still have separate feast days.

Re: first class feasts vs Holy days - jovan66102 - 09-29-2015

(09-29-2015, 12:56 PM)Paul Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 05:28 AM)Poche Wrote: Even though St Michael has been combined with Sts Raphael and Gabriel it is still a feast day on the liturgical calendar.

Not in the 1962 calendar. All three angels still have separate feast days.

Agreed! Today is St Michael's Day! And who cares what the LotH says?! :)