FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Strange Holy Card - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Strange Holy Card (/showthread.php?tid=73720)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Strange Holy Card - medievalman86 - 10-21-2015

(10-21-2015, 05:13 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: The major problem is that triangle (with a female's eyes, so it appears to me). Very masonic for my taste. Could it be a masonic prayer card inculcating its symbolism on innocent bystanders?

every time i see that triangle with an eye, that is the instant, and only assumption i make- masonic.  Reason- well its on the back of a dollar and every masonic book or document ive seen future that prominently.

Re: Strange Holy Card - Whitey - 10-21-2015

I'm not sure what it is, but I see nothing to make me think it's masonic in any way.

Re: Strange Holy Card - Renatus Frater - 10-21-2015

(10-21-2015, 07:34 PM)Qoheleth Wrote: Renatus et al....the triangle symbolizes the Trinity... very old symbol.

Nope. You don't ever see it in ancient icons. Also, check the reference above.

Re: Strange Holy Card - Qoheleth - 10-21-2015

(10-21-2015, 08:37 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 07:34 PM)Qoheleth Wrote: Renatus et al....the triangle symbolizes the Trinity... very old symbol.

Nope. You don't ever see it in ancient icons. Also, check the reference above.

Well Renatus  the church i have attended for quite some time that was built at the turn of the century has a triangle in every one of the stained glass windows with a cross above it.    Must be a Masonic Church :grin:

Re: Strange Holy Card - aquinas138 - 10-21-2015

The Triangle-as-Trinity is quite late iconographically; the earliest use would be the "Shield of the Trinity," which is first attested in the early 13th century.

The bird in the middle of the Sacred Heart is probably a pelican; I can't tell at that resolution for sure. The pelican was a medieval symbol of Christ, since it was believed to feed its young with its own blood - that's why Christ is addressed as Pie Pelicane in the hymn Adoro te devote.

I just can't make out what's at the end of the ray or cord coming from the Heart to the Chalice.

Re: Strange Holy Card - Dominicus - 10-21-2015

That makes sense Aquinas, I love Adoro Te Devote. As I mentioned earlier, I think that's just a ring to secure the heart to the stump or something, like a divine balloon. To me this represents Jesus willfully binding Himself to the Earth for us in the form of the Eucharist while still remaining in Heaven in the Holy Trinity.

Re: Strange Holy Card - Roger Buck - 10-22-2015

Yes I recall seeing this a lot in old French churches. In America, it reminds you inevitably of the seal on the dollar. But in 19th century France it meant something very different.

Re: Strange Holy Card - VoxClamantis - 10-22-2015

(10-21-2015, 08:31 PM)Whitey Wrote: I'm not sure what it is, but I see nothing to make me think it's masonic in any way.

I wasn't thinking it was Masonic in any way, even though the eye in the triangle has been coopted by Masons (it is an old Christian symbol, however). I am puzzled by what's in the Sacred Heart, but like the pelican idea put forth in this thread, and can't figure out the long "rope" with the ring. It's such a bizarre card!

Re: Strange Holy Card - CaptCrunch73 - 10-22-2015

(10-22-2015, 05:40 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(10-21-2015, 08:31 PM)Whitey Wrote: I'm not sure what it is, but I see nothing to make me think it's masonic in any way.

I wasn't thinking it was Masonic in any way, even though the eye in the triangle has been coopted by Masons (it is an old Christian symbol, however). I am puzzled by what's in the Sacred Heart, but like the pelican idea put forth in this thread, and can't figure out the long "rope" with the ring. It's such a bizarre card!

Been trying to make reference to this card using this site for symbolism but can't put all the pieces together, ugh.

http://buffaloah.com/a/DCTNRY/icon/icon.html

Re: Strange Holy Card - Renatus Frater - 10-22-2015

Are you guys really using 18, 19th century as your reference for old ???
Also, France in the 19th century: there was that thing, the French revolution. That's one of the reasons I thought Masons were behind this—and btw, it wouldn't be the first time hidden cultic symbolism passed as pious devotion after the Dante affair. But even so, I don't recall seeing this stuff a lot in French churches (though, to be fair, I didn't visit that many churches).

Qoheleth, I don't know what to tell you, man. That's not traditional symbolism. Someone was either Masonic or didn't know what they were doing and invented their own symbols.