FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Straight razor shavers? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: About Men (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Straight razor shavers? (/showthread.php?tid=74441)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Straight razor shavers? - Jeeter - 01-07-2016

I didn't find anything specific to their use in a brief search, so just wondering if anyone else uses straight razors to shave?

I got into them because they can be almost like an art form; very elaborate and eye pleasing, yet functional and made to last. Plus I've more than made up the money I initially spent on them by not buying disposable cartridges. And it's a much closer shave. My two; Boker "The Celebrated" and "King Cutter."

[Image: image_7.jpeg]

Soap is Col Conk's Bay Rum.

Re: Straight razor shavers? - youngfogey - 01-07-2016

No way. '50s Gillette safety razor, platinum-plated blades, mug, British shaving cream, and hot water (hot shower first). The Russian man I bought my first Gillette from also sells straight razors. Told me he was taught how to hold them, etc. "If you don't know how, don't think of trying it." They're dangerous. You can cut the carotid artery or jugular vein and bleed to death. Straight razors are something I might trust a barber to use on me.

Re: Straight razor shavers? - CaptCrunch73 - 01-08-2016

No straight razor for me, using my grandfathers safety razor. Nice close shave.

Re: Straight razor shavers? - Pacman - 01-08-2016

I own a Dovo Solingen. You need to learn how to strop and hone the blade before you begin using it on a daily basis. Honestly, I lost interest in the thing after a couple of months. I find that the double edged safety razor is the best option in terms of ease of use and quality shave.

Re: Straight razor shavers? - Dominicus - 01-08-2016

I wish. If I did I wouldn't have to use those awful safety razors that need to be constantly replaced and always cut me because I refuse to use an electric razor.

Re: Straight razor shavers? - GangGreen - 01-08-2016

I bought a straight a long time ago. Tried to use it a few times, never got the hang of it. I typically use a double edge razor, gets the job done. Either way, I've been growing out my beard lately, so it's nice not having to shave.

Re: Straight razor shavers? - J Michael - 01-08-2016

Hell no!!  Real men grow beards!!! :grin:

Re: Straight razor shavers? - Jeeter - 01-08-2016

(01-08-2016, 08:57 AM)Pacman Wrote: I own a Dovo Solingen. You need to learn how to strop and hone the blade before you begin using it on a daily basis. Honestly, I lost interest in the thing after a couple of months. I find that the double edged safety razor is the best option in terms of ease of use and quality shave.

Stropping and blade maintenance is half the fun! :grin:

(01-07-2016, 11:48 PM)youngfogey Wrote: No way. '50s Gillette safety razor, platinum-plated blades, mug, British shaving cream, and hot water (hot shower first). The Russian man I bought my first Gillette from also sells straight razors. Told me he was taught how to hold them, etc. "If you don't know how, don't think of trying it." They're dangerous. You can cut the carotid artery or jugular vein and bleed to death. Straight razors are something I might trust a barber to use on me.
True points you raise.  I started on one of those Dovo "semi-straight" razors that use disposable blade inserts until I got proficient with it.  On that note, holding sharpened steel to one's throat in the AM is a good reminder that you're alive, in an odd & perhaps twisted way.

Re: Straight razor shavers? - karl - 03-18-2016

Tried it, but kept slicing my face.  :LOL:  I've found I still get the least nicks with a modern triple bladed razor.

However, I've made the switch to shaving soap and a high quality badger brush.

Re: Straight razor shavers? - Jeeter - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 06:10 PM)karl Wrote: Tried it, but kept slicing my face.  :LOL:  I've found I still get the least nicks with a modern triple bladed razor.

It took me a little practice to get really proficient. I don't get knicks anymore and it's closer. That being said, it only took me one time to learn the hard way not to let ANYTHING distract me. Had a funky slice on my cheekbone.

(03-18-2016, 06:10 PM)karl Wrote: However, I've made the switch to shaving soap and a high quality badger brush.

Nice, isn't it?