FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Leftist Tactics - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Secular News, Politics, & Social Issues (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Leftist Tactics (/showthread.php?tid=74583)

Leftist Tactics - VoxClamantis - 01-22-2016

OK, it's late -- almost 5am as I start this, been up all night, etc. This is typical for me, but today, er yesterday,  I got up earlier than usual cause it's -- it was -- my birfday -- so bear with me and any typos. I also have a slight buzz on, having consumed some Sardinian wine given to me by my good friend, "Carterelli", as I call him. So -- patience.

What's in my brain right now are the matter of leftist tactics and whether the right should adopt any of them.

This came to mind when considering the case of Melissa Click, a University of Missouri Journalism professor, who called for the use of force to remove an Asian student who was filming some rally or other she and The Brainwashed were involved with, thereby trampling all over his 1st amendment rights. This is a Journalism professor, mind you!  The video that brought this situation to light is here:

https://youtu.be/xRlRAyulN4o

Click's actions enraged the Right, and emboldened the Left -- at least most of them, to my understanding -- causing them to rally around her. 115 faculty members came through for her, signing a letter to the Administration, all in support of Click's inanities.

From the other side is a petition, at change.org, calling for her to be fired. That petition is here:  https://www.change.org/p/missouri-governor-fire-professor-melissa-click-the-first-amendment-denier-at-university-of-missouri?recruiter=287398993&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

I signed that petition.

But now I'm bothered...

I can't stand how social media are used to threaten people's livelihoods,used to make their lives a living Hell. The Left uses that sort of thing as a major tactic, rallying their troops to join in concerted efforts to get, for ex., some poor schlubs fired because they made a joke the Lefties couldn't understand, but took to be a slur. It's madness.

But that petition against Click is a chance for payback, a taste of their own bitter medicine. It's more than that; it's also, IMO, a righteously motivated thing to want to sign in order to clear out our campuses of the cultural Marxists that run them.

One difference is that the Leftists will use gaffes or one-offs, and things apologized for to get Rightists fired. This Journalism prof hasn't apologized, to my knowledge. That's one major difference between "us" and "them." We believe in redemption and mercy. But they will go back 20 years in a person's History to find something to get 'em on. They don't accept warranted apologies. They don't submit to reason.

I guess my questions are:

1) Would you feel cozy signing that petition?

2)  How can you fight opponents who fight dirty, as Leftists do?

That last question reminded me of something I said to the person who fired me from the museum (written about in the "I was fired for political correctness" thread in this sub-forum):  I told her that she heard a complaint from some young, brainwashed, leftist, feminist, but that I GUARANTEE that I've heard things on tours given by others that would annoy conservatives as well. I said that the difference between the Left and the Right, though, is that the Right doesn't run to whoever functions as "Daddy" to go throw some weight around. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the person who fired me truly has no clue that conservatives get equally as annoyed, ticked, bothered, and bewildered by the stuff they hear every single day! But we, typically, don't tattle like kids and ask Daddy/Mommy to step in and "fix things" so we feel better.

But should we? Should we start kvetching as the Leftists do? "The squeaky wheel gets the oil" and all that.

On the other hand, we could squeak all night and few would hear because we're a tree falling in a forest, with no one around, because the media ignore us. But on the other-other hand, the traditional media are waning in a huge way, being overtaken by blogs, websites, etc.

I'm thinking out loud here.. What do you all think? What would Sun Tzu and Machiavelli have to say? When the rubber meets the road, how does one balance out such things as basic principles such as "one cannot commit evil so that good may come from it" "vs" (?) "real life," human nature, "lessons learned" from combat and History, etc. How do the Catholic principles of Just War play into all this sorta thing?

To use a Godfather analogy: Should Michael have whacked Freddo?

P.S. Any other "Godfather" fans here?

Re: Leftist Tactics - Jeeter - 01-22-2016

To answer your questions:

1) yes, I would feel 100% cozy signing that petition.  I may even go toast said signing later with a nice double scotch.  I don't say that to be means or vindictive, but because there's already too many "journalists" out there who refuse to acknowledge dissenting POVs 1st Amendment rights.  We don't need more brainwashed, one-sided, leftist "journalists".  And this is even worse in my mind, as this is a professor, charged with teaching the future generation to report with "neutrality."  She should know better, no excuse.

2) The only way I can think of to argue with dirty fighting idiots is to use the truth publicly, yet be really careful with what you say so your words (hopefully) aren't twisted against you down the road.  It's worked a couple times for me at work with knuckle heads trashing the Church over the sex abuse scandal; most of my co-workers realize the truth about those awful events.

And yes, I'm a HUGE Godfather fan.  To the point that my wife gets annoyed that I'll hog the downstairs TV to watch it on DVR (my brother in law walked with my box set Hopping Mad ).  The best part for me were the scenes in Godfather 2 showing young Vito in NYC setting himself up to become the Don.  Yours?

Re: Leftist Tactics - LaramieHirsch2 - 01-22-2016

Re: Leftist Tactics - VoxClamantis - 01-23-2016

(01-22-2016, 09:07 AM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: To answer your questions:

1) yes, I would feel 100% cozy signing that petition.  I may even go toast said signing later with a nice double scotch.  I don't say that to be means or vindictive, but because there's already too many "journalists" out there who refuse to acknowledge dissenting POVs 1st Amendment rights.  We don't need more brainwashed, one-sided, leftist "journalists".  And this is even worse in my mind, as this is a professor, charged with teaching the future generation to report with "neutrality."  She should know better, no excuse.

2) The only way I can think of to argue with dirty fighting idiots is to use the truth publicly, yet be really careful with what you say so your words (hopefully) aren't twisted against you down the road.  It's worked a couple times for me at work with knuckle heads trashing the Church over the sex abuse scandal; most of my co-workers realize the truth about those awful events.

And yes, I'm a HUGE Godfather fan.  To the point that my wife gets annoyed that I'll hog the downstairs TV to watch it on DVR (my brother in law walked with my box set Hopping Mad ).  The best part for me were the scenes in Godfather 2 showing young Vito in NYC setting himself up to become the Don.  Yours?

Thanks for the feedback, Sir!  I wish more had responded to these questions.. alas!

As to The Godfather and my favorite scene -- wow, so much to choose from. I'm with you when it comes to the flashbacks to the young Vito, his taking out -- I forget the guy's name off hand, but the white-suited, arrogant dago bully (I can say "dago" 'cause I iz one) who went about collecting protection money, how Vito was kind to the old woman living under a slum lord's nastiness, and how he got the slum lord to basically kiss his behind.As a female with eyes, I love the bit where Vito and his wife are sitting on the stoop, and Vito is holding Sonny as a baby. De Niro's hands are very attractive, and I'm a hands, lips, eyes,throat, and legs woman when it comes to male physical beauty.

I love the scene when that Senator who pronounces "Corleone" as if it's a filthy word is given the response, from Michael, "My answer is this: nothing," (I'm probably  paraphrasing). It's a litle dago-pride moment Sticking tongue out at you

I like the scene in which Sonny defends Connie by whupping her husband's butt.

When Michael confronts Freddo in Cuba, telling him, "I know it was you. You broke my heat... You broke my heart," followed by a kiss on the mouth -- with Freddo trying to pull away, knowing he's doomed.

The old Vito playing with his grandson in the garden, chasing him about while using orange peel to make himself look scary (my understanding is that the orange peel bit was ad libbed by the great Brando, and that the kid really was scared. Awwwww!

"Leave the guns; take the cannoli." Brilliant. And, I think, another ad lib.

"Oh, Kate, now who's being naive?" Straight-up.

The cooking of the sausages in the kitchen (can't help it; my Italian-Americanness comes through here.)

Just too many to choose from... Just about every scene in the first two movies were perfection. And I love the "look" of the film, all the gold light and shadow making for a  Caravaggio-ey chiaroscuro effect in lots of the interior shots... The movie just LOOKS awesome.

Here's a scene you'll like from the movie "You've Got Mail":

https://youtu.be/wB8xPnhpzAM

Ha, you ever find yourself grouping men in terms of whether they're Michaels, Sonnys, or Freddos? LOL

Re: Leftist Tactics - VoxClamantis - 01-23-2016

Laramie, your post got removed before I had a chance to respond, but it's very simple:  politics are politics; religion is religion. Using leftist tactics when it comes to religion is an entirely different story. Nonetheless, even with re. to religion, coming up with memes, art, and all that is great, as is "coolifying" it while not watering down dogma and doctrine by one single drop. I strongly encourage it, just as I encourage responding to anti-Catholic, anti-religion slurs from the atheist and the "I'm Too Sexy For Any God" types, with the attitude that you're not trying to change your interlocutor's mind, but are writing for people reading over your shoulders.

You were very antagonistic in your approach, which is not what I am talking about --- not when it comes to religion (especially!) or politics.

"Take Back the Net" is about defending the Faith. What I'm talking about in this thread are tactics and the political "alt-Right." At the bottom of the "Take Back the Net" page are these words:

Me Wrote:[size=14pt]Some General Tips

Always be charitable, and try to be pleasant, too. As my Mamma used to say, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. And as St. Francis de Sales wrote:
Quote:If you wish to labor with fruit in the conversion of souls, you must pour the balsam of sweetness upon the wine of your zeal, that it may not be too fiery, but mild, soothing, patient, and full of compassion. For the human soul is so constituted that by rigor it becomes harder, but mildness completely softens it. Besides, we ought to remember that Jesus Christ came to bless good intentions, and if we leave them to His control, little by little He will make them fruitful.
Let the true peace of Christ be reflected in you.

If you don't know something, say you don't know and don't pretend you do. Keep your ego chained up in the basement, and just tell the person you will do your best to find an answer for them.

Define terms that are "iffy" before trying to come to an understanding. Words and phrases like "born again," "Bible-believing," Tradition," "anti-semitic," etc., have to be defined before anything good can come from using them with various groups.

Define their premises before trying to build your argument. What do they accept as true? Is that premise true or false? If it's false, disavow them of it; if it's true, build on it.

Finally, keep a sense of HUMOR![/size]

In your "Take Back the Net" threads, you weren't "getting" that stuff. At least, you weren't expressing that you did.

Re: Leftist Tactics - Leonhard - 01-23-2016

Quote:This Journalism prof hasn't apologized, to my knowledge.

Actually she did, the day after. She was also especially sorry that her stunt had drawn so much attention away from the protest and towards herself. She personally contacted Tim Tai and apologized to him, and he in turn accepted her apology.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/melissa-click-apology_us_564271ffe4b08cda34867c27 Wrote:"I have reached out to the journalists involved to offer my sincere apologies and to express regret over my actions," Click said in the statement provided to The Huffington Post. "I regret the language and strategies I used, and sincerely apologize to the MU campus community, and journalists at large, for my behavior, and also for the way my actions have shifted attention away from the students’ campaign for justice. My actions were shaped by exasperation with a few spirited reporters."

Click said she spoke with student photographer Tim Tai, who she and students tried to keep from taking pictures of the protest, on the phone Tuesday and that he accepted her apology.

"I believe he is doing a difficult job, and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to speak with him," Click said in her statement. "His dignity also speaks well to the Journalism program at MU."

She also stepped down from a teaching position, though she still has tenure and continues her research.

In the moments after this happened these activists were adviced that this young journalist had a constitutional right to be there. The feminists, and the people I know on the left considered it mostly a bad move by this teacher. However more on the level of an understandable mistake.

Re: Leftist Tactics - Leonhard - 01-26-2016

It seems we have a development in this case.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article56443200.html

Quote:Melissa Click, the University of Missouri communications professor who garnered widespread scorn for trying to physically remove a student reporter from a campus protest, was formally charged with assault Monday morning.

Re: Leftist Tactics - Jeeter - 01-26-2016

(01-26-2016, 03:48 PM)Leonhard Wrote: It seems we have a development in this case.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article56443200.html

Quote:Melissa Click, the University of Missouri communications professor who garnered widespread scorn for trying to physically remove a student reporter from a campus protest, was formally charged with assault Monday morning.

Interesting, and I fully agree with the charge. Now let's see if the charges stick, or if someone "persuades" the local DA to reduce/drop the charges.