FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Life, Time, and Other Big Questions - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Life, Time, and Other Big Questions (/showthread.php?tid=74613)

Life, Time, and Other Big Questions - divinesilence80 - 01-26-2016

Hi all,
I know its been awhile since I've started any major threads around here let alone one that doesn't relate to my former favorite topic to vent about. I've been thinking a lot lately since time is passing by. One of my closest grandparents passed away and now the other is battling pancreatic cancer. They really were very positive influences in my life and with them passing on I feel as though a big part of my life is going with them. My only regret is I wish I had kept a journal of all the good times.

I'm not sure if the world today sucks more then it did when I was growing up or I was just less aware of it then. Visiting my grandparents always cleared my head when I was younger and my frustrations then were so much less. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like 10 years from now.

I've also been thinking a lot lately about what time is and what it means both in heaven and on Earth. Any good resources on the subject? This probably sounds like a crazy man's rant, but I guess I'm just trying to make sense of life and its purpose.

Re: Life, Time, and Other Big Questions - Qoheleth - 01-26-2016

OK well since no one has given this a shot i suppose the best recommendation  would be,  you should go to to the  source.  If you want to understand life and its purpose, read the following. :)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes%201&version=DRA

Re: Life, Time, and Other Big Questions - divinesilence80 - 01-27-2016

(01-26-2016, 09:22 PM)Qoheleth Wrote: OK well since no one has given this a shot i suppose the best recommendation  would be,  you should go to to the  source.  If you want to understand life and its purpose, read the following. :)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes%201&version=DRA

Not quite sure I follow......so everything under the sun is vanity? Is that what I'm reading? Ok, I can go with that but it still doesn't quite address what I'm looking for.

Question: If everything is vanity, why do we waste our time in vain?

Re: Life, Time, and Other Big Questions - Paul - 01-27-2016

(01-27-2016, 12:56 AM)divinesilence80 Wrote: Question: If everything is vanity, why do we waste our time in vain?

To prepare for the one thing that isn't: an eternity in heaven.

Re: Life, Time, and Other Big Questions - VoxClamantis - 01-27-2016

:(  I'm sooooo sorry to hear about your grandparents, DS. So very sorry! "Losing" someone you love like that -- it's a punch to the gut, and can feel like it literally. I pray God has mercy on their souls, take them to Him when it's time, that they're at peace, and that you're given tons of consolation and a deep faith in Him, that you're able to trust Him that all really and truly will be well!

You say you regret not having kept a journal of all the good times, but it's not too late to make a memory book! You can gather up pictures and write down all you remember -- including little things, like recipes, what they'd serve at Thanksgiving -- everything --  and talk to your still living grandparent now, getting all of his/her memories down, the answers to questions you ask about her/his childhood and stuff! Your little girl would undoubtedly CHERISH such a book down the road! I really hope you consider making such a book for her -- and for yourself (I'm doing just that, too, BTW, and got stories off of my parents and non-Italian Grandma before they died, praise God).

As to the rest of your post, about time... Well, the dictionary says that time is "the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole." Physics refers to time as "change." The first definition is one I like, though I quibble with the use of the word "progress" because it intimates that things get better, depending on how the word "progress" is understood. But "indefinite continued existence" sounds about right. God willed all into existence, and here we are. Things change, and that is time.

But, whatever time is exactly, our purpose is laid out in the catechism:  we're here to know, love, and serve God in this life so we can be happy with Him in the next. The way we know Him is through His Church, and we love Him by doing His will, especially by loving our neighbor. That might not sound "profound," but it's what the deal is. We're here to love Him and our neighbor. Those are the Two Great Commandments. And if we do that, then we will share in His Divine Nature, "becoming God" in that sense, and sharing in that Divine Nature for eternity.

How all that will look and what it will feel like is a Mystery. But we have to trust in Him that it will be wondrous. Beyond words.

The Apocalypse Of Saint John 21: 4-5
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away. And He that sat on the throne, said: Behold, I make all things new.

I'm sorry you have to miss your grandparents -- for a "little while," pray God :(

Re: Life, Time, and Other Big Questions - Poche - 01-28-2016

May the soul or your grandparent and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

Re: Life, Time, and Other Big Questions - divinesilence80 - 01-31-2016

Thank guys for the encouragement! I'm sorting through this and I believe things will work out somehow. I think sometimes I just need to unplug for awhile and get some fresh air. As much as I'm interested in technology I think information overload gets our brains trying to process more than it can handle at a given moment. God speaks to us in silence and my mind is anything but that most of the time.