FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Who Needs Men in Church? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Who Needs Men in Church? (/showthread.php?tid=75833)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - Pilgrim - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 12:46 AM)introvert Wrote: The reason why there isn't more male lay involvement is because there aren't enough ministries specifically for them, and women tend to be the ones running the show with the ministries. That's always bothered me because I grew up in a culture that did gender-separating, and no one had a problem with it because the men knew the women wouldn't interfere with their deal, and the women knew the same with the men.

The only parishes I know of with strong male-led and male-only lay ministries are the parishes that do NO right (yes, they exist) or TLM parishes. Everything else seems to be run amok with women and children. I'm not against ministries or involvement tailored to women and children, but if Catholics are ever going to be interested in this thing called community again, something's gotta change.

This is very true.  However, I wonder if this is a "chicken or egg" problem.  Is there a lack of male-led ministries because men aren't interested in the Church or are men not interested in the Church because of a lack of male-led ministries?

Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - introvert - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 10:38 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 12:46 AM)introvert Wrote: The reason why there isn't more male lay involvement is because there aren't enough ministries specifically for them, and women tend to be the ones running the show with the ministries. That's always bothered me because I grew up in a culture that did gender-separating, and no one had a problem with it because the men knew the women wouldn't interfere with their deal, and the women knew the same with the men.

The only parishes I know of with strong male-led and male-only lay ministries are the parishes that do NO right (yes, they exist) or TLM parishes. Everything else seems to be run amok with women and children. I'm not against ministries or involvement tailored to women and children, but if Catholics are ever going to be interested in this thing called community again, something's gotta change.

This is very true.  However, I wonder if this is a "chicken or egg" problem.  Is there a lack of male-led ministries because men aren't interested in the Church or are men not interested in the Church because of a lack of male-led ministries?

I used to think about it in terms of the chicken or egg problem, and I realized it doesn't matter (at least, to me). If there could just be ONE strong male figure in a parish that sets his foot down and says "listen, this deal here is for the men and only for the men, take it or leave it," more men would want to be involved.

IMO, another way to counteract this would be to have more nuns at parishes. I'm aware that might sound odd considering this topic is about men, but women tend to behave differently when they see sisters' involvement at church and they don't feel the need to aggrandize themselves with leadership roles.

Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - Jeeter - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 10:38 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:

I see it as a bit of Column A, and a bit of Column B, depending upon the person and their situation. 

I will say that at parishes in my AO where only male altar servers, no girls, are allowed, they don't seem to have a problem getting boys and older teens recruited as altar servers.  In parishes that allow altar girls, not so much.

Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - PrairieMom - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 02:32 PM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: I will say that at parishes in my AO where only male altar servers, no girls, are allowed, they don't seem to have a problem getting boys and older teens recruited as altar servers.  In parishes that allow altar girls, not so much.

We had the exact same experience in our parish. Back when it was "boys only" not that many years ago (maybe 5?), there was always altar servers for every Mass. Now, with both boys and girls I've observed that it's not so much. Of course, there's the problem of the kids are scheduled but don't show, but the pool is relatively small and they're all quite young. One thing about older servers is that they can get there independent of their parents.

That's made me think of a comment that I read back when I first came to FishEaters. Someone (I don't recall who) said that parishes and ministries were run by middle-class women. As a middle-class women, I was offended! But as I paid attention over the following months and year, I've come to conclusion that they were right - the Church is basically run by middle-class women!

Re: Who Needs Men in Church? - introvert - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 03:00 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: That's made me think of a comment that I read back when I first came to FishEaters. Someone (I don't recall who) said that parishes and ministries were run by middle-class women. As a middle-class women, I was offended! But as I paid attention over the following months and year, I've come to conclusion that they were right - the Church is basically run by middle-class women!

I was tempted to say something about how affluent suburban parishes are run by women, but you seemed to beat me to the punch :P