FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Fisheaters easy recipe thread - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Fisheaters easy recipe thread (/showthread.php?tid=76771)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: Fisheaters easy recipe thread - PrairieMom - 04-26-2017

Another meal we had this week. I love recipes that use up leftovers.

Pork and Peppers on Rice

EVOO
1 onions, chopped
garlic (I buy the minced garlic in a jar, I use a big old dollop)
1 tin of the finely diced tomatoes. Or a tin of regular tomatoes and chop them up.
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup water
s&p, or seasonings to taste*
1 tablespoon brown sugar
a few good shakes of worchestershire sauce
2 peppers, any colour, cut into strips
roughly a pound of leftover pork roast cut into strips (can use pork stir-fry strips instead)

If your meat isn't already cooked, cook it according to your preferred method. Set aside.

In a large pan or pot, cook the onion in EVOO until it starts to soften. Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, seasonings, brown sugar, worchestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Add peppers, and let simmer 5 minutes.

Add pork and allow to simmer additional 2-3 minutes for meat to absorb some of the sauce.

Serve over rice.

*My mom brought me back some of that 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's, so I put that in everything these days.

We eat a lot of pork because it's so inexpensive. Here's another favourite.

Pulled Pork

1 pork shoulder
1 pkg of taco seasoning*
1/2 cup water

Rub the taco seasoning all over the roast. Put in a crockpot and add water to the bottom. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-5.

When cooked, remove meat from crockpot and allow to rest 10-20 minutes. Meanwhile, strain the juices from the crockpot into a pot and bring to a boil. Allow to reduce slightly, then thicken with a bit of cornstarch dissolved in water if desired.

Using 2 forks, shred the pork and add it to the pot of conserved juices.

This is a highly versatile dish and can be served over rice, in buns as a sammy, as a filling for tacos or wraps, or stolen out of the fridge at midnight and eaten over the sink. Must be served with coleslaw.

*You *could* buy those packages of taco seasoning, but it's actually super easy to just improvise yourself. The basic recipe I use is (and I never measure so this is a rough guess)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne if desired

That makes enough for a few batches. You may need to adjust the salt if you like it saltier.

Oh, and the World's Best Coleslaw

1 - 1 lb package of coleslaw mix (shredded green & purple cabbage and carrots), or shred your own
1 bunch of green onions or chives, finely sliced
1 red pepper, finely diced

Put all your veggies in a bowl large enough to toss the coleslaw in.

In a mason/jam jar, measure:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup oil (a light oil like avocado, safflower, or even (bleh) canola. Olive oil works too but the final product will be a bit stronger tasting)
1 tsp celery seed
a pinch of salt and pepper
a squirt of grainy dijon mustard (can sub mustard powder)

Put on a lid and shake the jar until you get a nice emulsification. Pour over coleslaw veggies and toss. Allow to sit at least 30 minutes before serving.

Easy Chicken Stock (overnight method)

It's always good to have home made chicken stock on hand. It's easy to make and can be frozen until you need it. I usually freeze it in 4 cup portions.

I use my crockpot to make the stock. You'll need to source yourself a chicken carcass - have a roast chicken for supper or if you're at someone's house that served a roast bird ask if you can have the picked carcass. This works well with turkey or any other fowl. It's important that you use the carcass within 24 hours (or freeze within 24 hours), as it will loose flavour as it sits.

1 chicken carcass, picked clean of meat (you can include neck etc if you want)
(if your chickens are small, you can use a couple of them)
2 celery ribs, preferably with leaves (whole)
2 carrots (whole)
2 small onions (trim ends but necessary to peel)
2 bay leaves
water to cover
1 tsp vinegar (this helps draw out the minerals from the bones)

Put everything in a large crockpot, and cook on low for 24 hours. Strain and use immediately or store for later use. (3 days in fridge or 3 months in freezer)

If you're being very thrifty, you can save your "trimmings" of celery and carrots and onions from other dishes in the freezer to use when you make stock. So the ends of carrots, the tops and bottoms of celery, the out peely part of the onions, etc. Just have a bag in the freezer to add to, and then dump it into the crockpot when it's stock-making day.

This is unsalted. You will need to add salt depending on your application and to taste.

Re: Fisheaters easy recipe thread - In His Love - 04-26-2017

(04-26-2017, 10:48 AM)Jeeter Wrote: Glad to hear my postings are being read & used.  That actually made my day. :)
Aww! I'm glad I could make your day. :) You guys have been posting some really awesome looking recipes! I'd love to try them sometime.

Re: Fisheaters easy recipe thread - Jeeter - 04-26-2017

(04-26-2017, 03:14 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Tonight's supper might be post worthy:

Lazy Quiche

The quantities are not specific because it will depend greatly on how large your dish is. I've made it every size from itty-bitty pie plate to 9x13 pans. But you need a dish of that nature (with sides), whatever you have on hand will work.

Grease your pan.

day-old bread, any kind will work, cubed
eggs
milk
s&p
grated cheese
"fillings" of your choice...
some suggestions
- onions, peppers and mushrooms
- crumbled bacon
- cooked and crumbled or sliced sausage or sausage meat
- chopped asparagus or broccoli, blanched or roasted first to tender-crisp
- chopped ham or chicken
- whatever else that you have on hand that looks appealing (using up bits of leftovers is good)

In your greased pan, put a layer of cubed bread. You want a fairly substantial layer,  but not over flowing.

Add your fillings, such as crumbled bacon, on top of the bread.

Scramble your eggs with a bit of milk and salt and pepper. If you're Jeeter, add some hot sauce. Pour over the bread/fillings. All your bread should get wet/saturated, but don't go too much above the 'bread line" or else it takes forever to cook.

Top with grated cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 375-400 degrees until egg is cooked. This can vary from 20 minutes to 45 or more*, depending on your pan and amount of egg. It will poof up as it cooks, but will deflate once you pull it from the oven. You can test for doneness by inserting a knife into the middle - it should come out relatively clean and if you look in the hole you just made it should look cooked, with no liquid.

Serve with sides like salad, veggies and dip, garlic bread, or whatever else strikes your fancy.

*if you use a micro-wave safe dish, you can speed it along for putting it in the microwave for a few minutes, then finishing it in the oven.

That sounds great!  Although hot peppers go in the recipe. Hot sauce goes on after it's done. :P

Jeeter's right. You really need to get theeself a crockpot and learn to use it. It's truly a lifesaver.

It's also good to learn basic, staple dishes that can be expanded and improvised on. Cooking is as much about intuition and practice than anything else. Recipes are great as a base, but after awhile you'll learn what does and doesn't work, what you can change, what can be omitted, etc. You'll also learn to work with the ingredients you have. Sometimes the best meals are the ones where I assemble random ingredients that need using up.

It's also important to learn good knife skills. That starts with having decent knives. I love my santoku knife. I got it 70% off at Canadian Tire, for around $30. It sharpens well, and because it's not flexible like some bigger knives it powers through pretty much everything. My dad complains that things like stir fry take too long, but that's because he has terrible knife skills. I can prep a stir fry in less than 10 minutes, and then cook it in 10. The noodles or rice with it usually takes longer than that!

Here's one good for a side dish. We often have "veggies and dip" as a side dish. Chop up your favourite veggies (juicy red peppers, broccoli florets, carrot sticks, celery sticks, mushrooms, cucumbers, snap peas, grape tomatoes, or whatever else you find appealing), and then whip up this easy dip. Let everyone take some veggies and a big scoop of dip on their plates (licking the plate optional).

Dilly Dip

1 cup sour cream (can use a thick-set yogurt instead)
2-3 tbsp buttermilk (recommended) or regular milk (works in a pinch), to thin to desired consistency
1 tbsp dried dill (or a handful of chopped fresh baby dill if you have)
1 tsp dried parsley (or sub fresh)
2 tsp onion powder
salt to taste

Mix well. Thin to desired consistency.

(04-26-2017, 08:33 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Jeeter's right. You really need to get theeself a crockpot and learn to use it. It's truly a lifesaver.
"Get theeself a crockpot." That must have been one of Shakespeare's first drafts. :)

Noted. Thank you both for posting extra recipes!

Okay, last one today. Another versatile recipe.

Crockpot Yogurt - overnight method

1/2 gallon (roughly 2 L) of milk, 2% or whole recommended
min 1/2 cup of yogurt with active bacteria (such as from an old batch or just from plain store-bought yogurt)
a crockpot (at least 3 quart)

At 4 o'clock (16:00), put the milk in your crockpot and set it to "low".

At 7 o'clock (19:00), turn off your crockpot and let it sit. Leave the lid on.

At 9:30-10:00 (21:30-22:00), check your milk. It should have cooled to roughly body temperature. Whisk in the starter/already made yogurt. At this point, I usually turn the crockpot back on low for 5-10 minutes, then turn it off again. Put the lid back on and make sure it's unplugged.

Wrap up the crockpot in several beach or bath towels, and leave it overnight in a draft-free place.

(go to bed)

When you get up in the morning, unwrap your crockpot and whisk your yogurt again. It may have formed a liquid on top - that's normal and can poured off or just whisked back in. It will be thinner than store-bought yogurt.

Transfer to a clean container or jar and put in refrigerator. Chilling will slow the bacteria down/off (if you like it tangier, you can leave it out for a couple more hours). It will keep about a week.

Things to do with your yogurt:

- If it's too thin for your liking, you can strain it to remove some of the whey. To do this, line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth, or use a tightly-wovened dish towel (that's what I do). Pour the yogurt into the lined colander and set inside a large bowl. Allow to drip in the refrigerator to desired consistency.

- Make yogurt cheese. Set to strain as above. Leave at least overnight, and possibly as long as 24 hours, until it's thick like cream cheese. Use in place of cream cheese (delicious on toast).

- Add it to smoothies instead of milk. Great way to get a dose of beneficial bacteria.

- Use instead of sour cream.

- Use it in baking instead of buttermilk.

- Eat it with fresh fruit, or mix in jam, apple butter, or other fruit preserve.

- Sweeten with honey and use as a desert topping.

- Combine with herbs and garlic to make salad dressing.

- If you've strained it and have whey, you can either toss it, or use it in baking or breadmaking in place of water or milk. It adds a distinctive tang. It can also be used to acidify soaking liquid for beans and grains.

Just remember to save at least 1/2 cup for your next batch! Nothing is more annoying than when you go to add the starter, only to realize your spouse has eaten the last of the yogurt!!!!  :LOL:

Ooh! I love yogurt.

Re: Fisheaters easy recipe thread - Jeeter - 04-26-2017

Interesting, but I draw the line with dairy.

(04-26-2017, 08:56 PM)In His Love Wrote: Ooh! I love yogurt.

Patchy left yogurt on my shirt earlier. :LOL: