FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer (/showthread.php?tid=77493)

Pages: 1 2

Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - GangGreen - 01-20-2017

Following after his boss I guess:
http://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/cdl.-dolan-leads-first-prayer-at-trump-inauguration

Quote:Unlike Protestant leaders at event, Dolan fails to invoke Name of Jesus
WASHINGTON (ChurchMilitant.com) - New York's archbishop, Timothy Cardinal Dolan, offered the first invocation at Friday's inauguration of President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence. Unlike the Protestants leaders who followed him, Dolan made no explicit mention of the name Jesus Christ or the Holy Trinity.

Before Trump's swearing-in ceremony at the front of the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C., Cdl. Dolan was the first to lead an invocation and the only Catholic on the dais. He chose as his prayer a paraphrase of Chapter 9 in the Book of Wisdom from the New American Bible.

Five others followed Dolan, including Dr. Samuel Rodrigues, Paula White, Rabbi Marvin Hier, Franklin Graham and Wayne Jackson. With the exception of Paula White, who is Trump's spiritual advisor, the others have criticized some of his policies.

Dolan himself has criticized Trump's immigration policies as "nativist," seeing immigrants as "the unwashed, ignorant, bothersome brood ... as criminals and misfits who threaten 'pure America' and are toxic to everything decent in the United States." 

The four other Christian representatives explicitly used the name of Jesus Christ in their prayers and verbally invoked the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Dolan's invocation:

Quote:God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
    you who have made all things
And in your providence have charged us
    to rule the creatures produced by you,
To govern the world in holiness and righteousness,
    and to render judgment with integrity of heart:
Give us Wisdom, for we are your servants,
    weak and short-lived and lacking
    in comprehension of judgment and of laws.
Indeed, though one be perfect among mortals,
    if Wisdom, which comes from you, be lacking,
    we count for nothing.

Now with you is Wisdom, who knows your will
    and was there when you made the world;
Who understands what is pleasing in your eyes
    and what is conformable with your commands.
Send her forth from your holy heavens
    from your glorious throne dispatch her
That she may be with us and work with us,
    that we may grasp what is pleasing to you.
For she knows and understands all things,
    and will guide us prudently in our affairs
    and safeguard us by her glory. Amen.

Dolan noted in an interview that he was flattered to be invited and was given a minute to give his invocation.

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - Eric F - 01-20-2017

I've spoken to people who actually claim Dolan is very traditional minded.

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - Cousin Eddie - 01-20-2017

I'm guilty of jumping to conclusions on this and I believe Church Militant is guilty of spreading gossip.  The prayer is from the Old Testament, of course it doesn't mention the Name of Jesus.

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - Credidi Propter - 01-20-2017

(01-20-2017, 08:53 PM)Eric F Wrote: I've spoken to people who actually claim Dolan is very traditional minded.

From what I understand, Cardinal Dolan wasn't bad 15-20 years ago. I wouldn't have called him "traditional minded," but I'm told he was good in St. Louis and good in Milwaukee compared to his predecessor.  I've seen video footage of him from the early 90's, and there's definitely been a change in his demeanor. He used to look more like a priest than a politician. Now, he looks more a politician. His popularity got the best of him. It's clear when you see him that he really likes rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous.

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - In His Love - 01-20-2017

It was a completely acceptable prayer. I think Church Militant was off on this one. Like Cousin Eddie mentioned, it's from the Old Testament, which points to Christ.

Also, did they report anything when the Holy Father delivered his speech at Congress and didn't mention Jesus? They've been unusually silent during this Papacy.

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - Dave01 - 01-21-2017

(01-20-2017, 10:33 PM)In His Love Wrote: It was a completely acceptable prayer. I think Church Militant was off on this one. Like Cousin Eddie mentioned, it's from the Old Testament, which points to Christ.

Also, did they report anything when the Holy Father delivered his speech at Congress and didn't mention Jesus? They've been unusually silent during this Papacy.

This (plus CM's attacks on the SSPX) is exactly why I no longer am a Premium Member. 

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - Paul - 01-21-2017

Maybe it was because it was from the Old Testament, but how hard would it be to add a "through Christ our Lord" at the end?

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - formerbuddhist - 01-21-2017

I'm far from a Dolan fan but there's nothing particularly wrong with what he said.  It's disappointing that he doesn't mention Christ,but we can't forget that in American life today there is really no room for any public displays of anything beyond a vaguely Deist sentiment. Dolan is just being a good American and toning down his prayers to be vaguely Deist with a an Old Testament twist.  We can't forget that we are the most persecuted people on earth in terms of religion.  Dolan would probably be tarred and feathered mercilessly by the press and whoever is behind the scenes if he'd have dared mention Jesus. Besides, these days even the Pope has been known to leave Jesus out of certain speeches, or anything specifically Catholic. He's not at all doing something without precedent.

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - GangGreen - 01-21-2017

All of the other Protestant ministers at the inauguration mentioned Our Lord. Dolan could have at least finished the prayer with "We ask this through Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Our Lord, etc."

Re: Cardinal Dolan Fails to Mention Christ at Inauguration Prayer - Prayerful - 01-24-2017

(01-20-2017, 09:08 PM)Cousin Eddie Wrote: I'm guilty of jumping to conclusions on this and I believe Church Militant is guilty of spreading gossip.  The prayer is from the Old Testament, of course it doesn't mention the Name of Jesus.

It is also a Deutocanonical text from the Book of Wisdom, a good way to show the Faith is different.