FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Pieta prayer book - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Pieta prayer book (/showthread.php?tid=77747)

Pieta prayer book - MichaelNZ - 02-19-2017

What do you all think of the Pieta prayer book (full text can be found here) It contains the 15 Prayers to St Bridget of Sweden, which have been approved by Pope Pius IX. But there are other devotions in it which seem slightly suspect. For example, there is a letter from Jesus Christ found in His tomb at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and certain protections are promised to all who carry a copy with them. Same to a picture of Our Lady drawn by a mystic in Italy, guided by Her hand - there is a special blessing to the one who carries it.

Plus there is a section which supposedly contains some of Our Lord's revelation to someone called Mutter Vogel (German for "Mother Bird") that said one should never criticize a priest and if one sees a priest celebrating Mass unworthily we are to say nothing but tell it to Jesus. This doesn't seem to fit with St Catherine of Siena, who criticized not just a priest, but the Pope himself.

Re: Pieta prayer book - Credidi Propter - 02-19-2017

(02-19-2017, 02:02 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: What do you all think of the Pieta prayer book (full text can be found here) It contains the 15 Prayers to St Bridget of Sweden, which have been approved by Pope Pius IX. But there are other devotions in it which seem slightly suspect. For example, there is a letter from Jesus Christ found in His tomb at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and certain protections are promised to all who carry a copy with them. Same to a picture of Our Lady drawn by a mystic in Italy, guided by Her hand - there is a special blessing to the one who carries it.

Plus there is a section which supposedly contains some of Our Lord's revelation to someone called Mutter Vogel (German for "Mother Bird") that said one should never criticize a priest and if one sees a priest celebrating Mass unworthily we are to say nothing but tell it to Jesus. This doesn't seem to fit with St Catherine of Siena, who criticized not just a priest, but the Pope himself.

The Mutter Vogel revelation you described is my main reservation about the Pieta Prayer Book.  I do not agree with it.  Still, the books are small, cheap, and they contain some very good prayers.  I've given them out from time to time when it was all I could afford.  I give it out with my own explanation of that part.  "Never criticize a priest" is an overly sentimental, falsely pious mindset that has caused incalculable harm to people's faith over the last century.  People will see right through that if they will just think.  If priests are teaching heresy, molesting children, or otherwise showing contempt for holy things and holy people, then for the good of their souls and the souls of those they might lead to hell, criticize away.  Know how to do it correctly- don't be rash or reckless, but always do it having discerned carefully and prayerfully beforehand.

Re: Pieta prayer book - jovan66102 - 02-19-2017

A very dodgy prayer book. The 'Fifteen Prayers' have indeed been approved but the 'promises' printed in the Pieta are condemned as superstitious.

The letter found in the Sepulchre is blatantly false, but I have no opinion (just great suspicion) regarding the 'mystic's drawing'.

As to Mutter Vogel, I don't buy the advice, but I would point out that 'Vogel' is a common German surname. I dated a Vogel in my younger years and there were dozens of Vogels in the German area I grew up in. Ergo, I don't doubt the name 'Mutter Vogel' for an elderly wise woman or a nun whose surname was Vogel, but I still don't accept the advice.

Re: Pieta prayer book - jovan66102 - 02-19-2017

A thread from five years ago dealing specifically with Mutter Vogel:

http://www.fisheaters.com/forums/index.php?topic=3449350.0