FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Question about wearing Miraculous Medal (/showthread.php?tid=77880)

Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - MichaelNZ - 03-01-2017

Since my decision to return to Christ's Holy Church, I have been wearing a Miraculous Medal. I have also gotten a pardon crucifix, which I will ask the priest who does our TLM to bless on Sunday.

However, I am meeting my grandparents for lunch this Friday, My grandmother is extremely anti-Catholic, to the point where she won't watch The Sound of Music because it has nuns in it. Do you think it would be possible to take off/hide the medal while I meet them? I'm not ashamed of the Catholic faith, I just don't want to cause an argument (I've been wearing the medal everywhere else).

What do you think I should do?

Re: Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - dahveed - 03-01-2017

Hi Michael,
you could just wear it under your shirt.

Re: Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - KateriElizabeth - 03-01-2017

I only wear a simple cross around my grandparents, they were Greek Orthodox and switched to extreme evangelical when my mother was in her early teens they believe they can raise people from the dead and heal the terminally ill. Once I wore a medal of St. Kateri and they freaked out wouldn't stop questioning me about on and off for hours, my mother told them a few years ago I was Catholic they now keep giving me books on Billy Graham and others and making me watch Jim Bakker.

Re: Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - aquinas138 - 03-01-2017

I concur with dahveed - just wear it under your shirt. If that's a problem, too, I don't think you're denying the Catholic Faith not to wear it to lunch. Though, if I can make a suggestion, get a green scapular and put it somewhere inconspicuous in their house.

Re: Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - In His Love - 03-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 09:43 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: I concur with dahveed - just wear it under your shirt. If that's a problem, too, I don't think you're denying the Catholic Faith not to wear it to lunch. Though, if I can make a suggestion, get a green scapular and put it somewhere inconspicuous in their house.
This is a good idea. You can get a kit for free if you send these guys a letter: http://www.greenscapular.org/scapulars.html

I know of another place where you can order them for free online, but the page seems to be down right now.

Re: Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - Panum - 03-01-2017

If you haven't done so, Have some Masses offered up for your grandmother. Pray and ask God what you might do to heal this rift.  I never presume on how to pray , but rather spend time with our Lord and ask him for direction.  The point is, The Holy Spirit knows exactly what may move her through grace back to truth.

Re: Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - MichaelNZ - 03-01-2017

Thank you all very much for the replies.

I will wear the medal under my shirt when I meet my grandparents. I also agree with the idea of having some Masses offered for my grandmother.  Can you ask your priest to offer the usual Sunday Mass for somebody, or is that only done for daily Masses? The thing is, we have no daily TLM here, but I could call the chapel in Christchurch run by the Sons of the Most Holy Redeemer and see if they could offer some for her.

Re: Question about wearing Miraculous Medal - jovan66102 - 03-06-2017

(03-01-2017, 07:26 PM)MichaelNZ Wrote: Thank you all very much for the replies.

I will wear the medal under my shirt when I meet my grandparents. I also agree with the idea of having some Masses offered for my grandmother.  Can you ask your priest to offer the usual Sunday Mass for somebody, or is that only done for daily Masses? The thing is, we have no daily TLM here, but I could call the chapel in Christchurch run by the Sons of the Most Holy Redeemer and see if they could offer some for her.

The main Mass on Sunday must be offered for the People of the Parish according to Canon Law
Quote:Can. 534 §1. After a pastor has taken possession of his parish, he is obliged to apply a Mass for the people entrusted to him on each Sunday and holy day of obligation in his diocese. If he is legitimately impeded from this celebration, however, he is to apply it on the same days through another or on other days himself.

However, any other Masses offered on Sunday can be offered for a private intention. Check with your Diocese to find out what the normal stipend is. If you can't afford it, most Priests will celebrate a Mass for you if you explain your circumstances.