FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? (/showthread.php?tid=78294)

Pages: 1 2

How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - Eric F - 04-14-2017

Let's say it's Sunday, and for whatever reason (record Winter storm, other state of emergency, etc) it's impossible to get to church. You have no priest, no Holy Communion, but your family and a few Catholic neighbors would like to do something, so what would you suggest ? I have a few ideas already, but I'll wait a bit before listing them.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - formerbuddhist - 04-14-2017

(04-14-2017, 11:11 AM)Eric F Wrote:                                                                   Let's say it's Sunday, and for whatever reason (record Winter storm, other state of emergency, etc) it's impossible to get to church. You have no priest, no Holy Communion, but your family and a few Catholic neighbors would like to do something, so what would you suggest ? I have a few ideas already, but I'll wait a bit before listing them.

Pray  the Office,do the readings for the day and generally try to reflect on the mysteries of Christ.  If I'm honest I do this every Sunday, as I have been a home alone type guy for awhile,due to transportation issues.  I guess you could say I live by the office and readers services.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - Jeeter - 04-14-2017

(04-14-2017, 11:11 AM)Eric F Wrote:                                                                   Let's say it's Sunday, and for whatever reason (record Winter storm, other state of emergency, etc) it's impossible to get to church. You have no priest, no Holy Communion, but your family and a few Catholic neighbors would like to do something, so what would you suggest ? I have a few ideas already, but I'll wait a bit before listing them.

This has happened to us a couple times due to snow storms and illness.  We watched the Mass on EWTN or at FSSP.com (after I got introduced to the TLM), and prayed a Rosary.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - Dominicus - 04-14-2017

There is an old custom of praying the mass at home but omitting any parts proper to the priest and replacing the offertory, consecration, and communion with a spiritual communion. I have heard it called Missa Sicca or "dry mass".

Otherwise you could just watch the mass on EWTN or the internet or just pray the Divine Office or the Rosary. Or somehow incorporate all of the above. Do whatever seems best to you.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - Zedta - 04-14-2017

I would have prayers before the Holy Eucharist, as I do quite often, personally, between trips to Mass. Being an Eucharistic Minister who does home visits and Eucharistic Services at Nursing Homes, I have my pix(s) in my home in a very special place in my bedroom. I consider them to have fragments of the Hosts in them and treat them in like manner. I take them to the Church, regularly, to clean them in an appropriate manner, but between cleanings, I have a 'Tabernacle' in my home.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - Eric F - 04-15-2017

I've never personally been in this situation, and I can see following the mass on tv, if it's just a few people, but if there were say 10 or more, I think I'd much prefer doing something different. I could see doing the mass readings, a rosary, maybe a litany for the latest Saint's day, as well as the litany of the Sacred Heart. Public prayer intentions, some other prayers, prayer to St Michael the Archangel. Then perhaps try and get everyone to stay for lunch like we're a real church family, and then try and tackle vespers. We might be in this situation in the future, and it's got me thinking.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - In His Love - 04-15-2017

I suppose, like, with an inspired liturgical movement to the sound of banjos.

Seriously though, I find following along with an internet Mass helpful on those Sundays when I can't attend.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - Jeeter - 04-15-2017

(04-15-2017, 07:53 PM)In His Love Wrote: I suppose, like, with an inspired liturgical movement to the sound of banjos.

You forgot the dobro and dancing.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - In His Love - 04-15-2017

(04-15-2017, 09:18 PM)Jeeter Wrote:
(04-15-2017, 07:53 PM)In His Love Wrote: I suppose, like, with an inspired liturgical movement to the sound of banjos.

You forgot the dobro and dancing.
Liturgical movement is, like, code for dancing. It's how we enter the worship space, man.

Also, I have no idea what a dobro is except that it's probably a musical instrument.

Re: How Would You Worship If You Couldn't Make It To Church ? - Jeeter - 04-16-2017

(04-15-2017, 09:31 PM)In His Love Wrote: Liturgical movement is, like, code for dancing. It's how we enter the worship space, man.

OMG, like, totes. I forgot.:LOL:

Quote: Also, I have no idea what a dobro is except that it's probably a musical instrument.

*long sigh*

Don't know what a dobro is? Silly Canadians, have you no culture in the Great White North?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobro

One for sale:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-DWHOUNDLX?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&scid=scplpEPI+DWHOUNDLX&sc_intid=EPI+DWHOUNDLX&gclid=CKOy3of6qNMCFYKPswodcSMJIA

And in use: