FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Marmite - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Piazza (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Health, Food, Drink, and Tobacco (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Marmite (/showthread.php?tid=7999)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Marmite - Historian - 08-09-2006

Ok, I went and bought some Marmite from the store. They didn't have Vegemite (darn!) so I'll try this instead. What's the best way to serve this? Eric said on toast. Should you butter the toast first or does this stuff replace butter? I'll let you know my reactions as well as the kids... If it's nasty, expect a package in the mail Eric. [Image: laff.gif]

[Image: gimmefood.gif]

Spooky7272 Wrote:Ok, I went and bought some Marmite from the store. They didn't have Vegemite (darn!) so I'll try this instead. What's the best way to serve this? Eric said on toast. Should you butter the toast first or does this stuff replace butter? I'll let you know my reactions as well as the kids... If it's nasty, expect a package in the mail Eric. [Image: laff.gif]

[Image: gimmefood.gif]

Marmite [Image: heartsmiley.gif] is the BEST...on hot buttered (not margerined!) toast....yummmm!

"Marmite, love it or hate it?" The latter applies to me. [Image: puke.gif]

Those in my family who love Marmite appreciate it on buttered toast.

Marmite - CampeadorShin - 08-09-2006

Wha?  What is it?  Is it another name for a food?  We's midwesturnurs don't gots the same voe-cab-you-larry.

Marmite is a delicious spread, in consistency sort of like peanut butter (though they taste nothing alike.) You can eat it with almost anything, but it's usually eaten spread on top of buttered toast. It's never caught on in the US of A, but is quite popular throughout the rest of the English-speaking world, for good reason.

It's almost exactly like Vegemite, (Vegemite that is sold in Britain is sweeter than true Aussie Vegemite, and so many marmite affecienados despise it. The same goes for Marmite, when sold in Australia it's made by a New Zealand company and is grossly sweetened, making it taste funny to Vegemite fans.)

Marmite - obscurus - 08-09-2006

Although I have never tried Marmite, I must say that vegemite which is similar is the most disgusting substance known to man. I remember thinking it was some type of chocolate spread during breakfast at the seminary and boy was I in for a surprise. Spooky you are a brave soul indeed.

Marmite - daisy - 08-09-2006

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 12pt;">
obscurus Wrote:I must say that vegemite which is similar is the most disgusting substance known to man.

*swooooons and faints*

*rises again*
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 12pt; text-align: center;" align="center">V<span style="color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">IV
A LA
VEG
EMI
T
E
<!--[if gte vml 1]> <![endif]<!--[if !vml]<!--[endif]</span>[Image: duel.gif]
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Michael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Michael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Michael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/img][Image: static-vegemite001.jpg]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 12pt; text-align: center;" align="center">[Image: salute.gif]<!--[if gte vml 1]> <![endif]<!--[if !vml]<!--[endif]<!--[if gte vml 1]> <![endif]<!--[if !vml]<!--[endif]
<!--[if gte vml 1]> <![endif]<!--[if !vml]<!--[endif]
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Michael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]

obscurus Wrote:I must say that vegemite is the most disgusting substance known to man.

[Image: violent090.gif]

Well, I haven't spread it on some buttered toast yet, but I did open it and smelled it (smells like, well, bread I guess) and did a tiny taste... it wasn't horrid, so we'll see tomorrow morning with breakfast. :)

Marmite - Historian - 08-10-2006

I'm wondering if it's anything like hummus? (which is made from garbanzo beans) I do like hummus spread on little baguette slices) :)
-Robin