FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene (/showthread.php?tid=80533)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - VoxClamantis - 12-14-2017

Even the Vatican's creche has to be sacrilegious. I don't mind the portrayal of the works of mercy, and I'm not bothered that there's a "naked man" depicted in the "clothe the naked" part of that (you can't see anything anyway). But I have BIG problems with those things taking focus of the entire presepio, and the side-lining of CHRIST HIMSELF and the BLESSED MOTHER. 

From veritas-vincit-international.org:

A naked man steals the show in the Vatican’s new nativity scene rendition

paulsimeon
December 13, 201

It seems that nudity is the innovative, new attention grabber in the Vatican’s newly-unveiled nativity scene rendition.

In an inauguration ceremony last December 7, the Vatican unveiled the official nativity scene in St. Peter’s square.  The nativity scene features 20 terracotta (clay/ceramic-based) figures, some as tall as 6 feet. What is striking about the new nativity scene is that instead of the traditional rendition where the focus is simply on the baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph, this year’s version focuses more on the integration of the 7 “corporal works of mercy” into the scene.

[Image: nakednativity1.png]

Close to 20 life-size images, including that of a naked man, drown out the traditional 
image of the baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph in the Vatican’s new nativity scene.

The scene includes life-size figures of a naked man being “clothed”, a dead man being buried, and a prisoner being visited.  The representation of the night of Jesus’ birth, Pope Francis said, is “inspired by the works of mercy” and is a reminder “that Jesus told us: ‘Do to others what you would have them do to you.’

[Image: nakednativity2.png]
Life-size rendition of a person visiting a prisoner.

[Image: nakednativity3.png]
Celebrating death instead of life – another attention-grabbing 
image is that of a person burying a dead man in the nativity scene.

A Naked Man Steals the Scene in the Nativity!

Most people’s eyes would probably be led first and attracted to the “unique” sight of a naked man prominently featured in the official nativity scene of the Vatican – set right at the forefront of the giant Christmas tree.

[Image: nakednativity4.png]
The naked man steals the show in the nativity scene!

Even Facebook Disapproves Of the Image of the Naked Man in the Nativity

Interestingly enough, even Facebook itself disapproves of the image of the naked man in the nativity scene. Our initial Facebook ad to promote this article was disapproved by Facebook with the following reason given: “Your ad can’t include images that are sexually suggestive or provocative.” The image we used for the ad was the exact image of the naked man in the nativity scene in the Vatican. Below is a screen shot of the disapproved ad due to the sexually suggestive image used:

[Image: nakednativity5.jpg]

Where is the Baby Jesus?

At first glance, it is quite hard to find the baby Jesus in the entire scene.  It is also quite a challenge to decipher which of the figures is St. Joseph. The Blessed Virgin Mary, usually portrayed in nativity scenes as carrying the baby Jesus, is set merely towards the side, and is not prominently displayed.

The sheer number of life-size figures on the set – much larger than the baby Jesus – will all but guarantee that people will have much difficulty in finding Jesus, Mary and Joseph in the entire scene.

The scene has been crafted, it seems, to shift focus principally on the “innovative” aspects of the new nativity rendition – the integration of images portraying the corporal works of mercy.  Serving fellow men – instead of worshipping the new-born Saviour – is the unmistakeable focus of the entire scene.

Negative Reactions to the “Hideous” Nativity Scene

The nativity scene has solicited a firestorm of mostly negative reactions on Twitter, with some calling it “hideous” and “extremely sacrilegious”.  Some have even called on fellow Catholics to pray a rosary of reparation after seeing the nativity scene. Here are some of the reactions to the nativity scene, after the images were first posted by the reporter Edward Pentin on Twitter:

[Image: nakednativity6.jpg]

Twitter reactions to the “sacrilegious” nativity scene have been mostly negative.

The Last Nativity Scene of Pope Benedict XVI

The new nativity scene promoted by Pope Francis is a stark contrast to the nativity scene of Pope Benedict XVI in 2012 in what was to become his last Christmas celebration as Pope.  The 2012 nativity scene was traditional in its rendition, with the central focus clearly on Jesus, Mary and Joseph (see image below):

[Image: nakednativity7.jpg]
Pope Benedict XVI’s last nativity scene in the Vatican was more “traditional”, focusing on the baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

“Happy Holidays”

We have seen all over the world a concerted effort to de-emphasize the birth of Jesus in Christmas, and to associate Christmas with “holidays” rather than Our Lord’s birthday.  Many world leaders, like previous U.S. President Barrack Obama, use the phrase “Happy Holidays” to greet others during Christmas, instead of the proper “Merry Christmas” which rightly focuses people on the “Christ” in Christmas.

The “secularisation of Christmas” has led to Christmas becoming associated more and more with holidays, vacations, gifts, Santa Claus, reindeers – everything except the birth of Jesus.  Children think of Christmas more as a wonderful time to receive materials gifts from Santa Claus – instead of a time to give their own little gifts to the forgotten birthday celebrant, Jesus Christ.

Let’s Bring Back the “Christ” in “Christmas”

Many will argue that there is nothing wrong with the new nativity scene, since it focuses on an important aspect of the Pope’s teaching: mercy and compassion for our fellow men, as manifested through the 7 corporal works of mercy.

However, the Vatican’s new nativity scene does not help at all in fighting the global secularisation of Christmas.  In fact, it aggravates the problem – instead of focusing on the birth of Our Lord, we focus instead on the needs of fellow man.

Christmas is not about celebrating prisoners and clothing a naked man – it is the birthday celebration of Jesus Christ.  May all of us help, in our own little way, to fight this “secularisation” and “humanisation” of Christmas.

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - austenbosten - 12-14-2017

Oh Look!  Pope Francis is at it again.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - In His Love - 12-14-2017

When the Christ Child, the Blessed Mother, and St. Joseph get lost in the crowd, it's a good idea to redo your Nativity scene.

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - Eric F - 12-14-2017

Disgusting ! The naked man actually look's more homo-erotic than starving, I mean seriously a naked man so weak from starving that he can't get up, but yet he has washboard abs ?

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - Dominicus - 12-14-2017

What an appropriate icon of Pope Francis' entire pontificate. All "peace on earth and good will to men" but completely forgetting "glory to God in the highest". How incredibly disrespectful. If works of mercy do not have Christ at their center then they are nothing. 

The abomination of desolation is standing in the holy place and his name is Man.

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - Jeeter - 12-14-2017

How grotesque to remove Christ from the center focal point. Is it me, or is the wall to the right of and behind the 3 Kings reminiscent of a ruined church? To me it looks like the wall and dome behind and above where the altar would have been.

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - For Petes Sake - 12-14-2017

(12-14-2017, 09:51 PM)Jeeter Wrote: How grotesque to remove Christ from the center focal point. Is it me, or is the wall to the right of and behind the 3 Kings reminiscent of a ruined church? To me it looks like the wall and dome behind and above where the altar would have been.
I thought the same thing. I think the Pope Francis is trying to taunt and demoralize faithful Catholics.

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - Credidi Propter - 12-15-2017

I think all I can really say at this point is to offer a couple of definitions from the Modern Catholic Dictionary.  Someone should send Pope Francis a copy.

MATERIALISM. The theory that all reality is only matter, or a function of matter, or ultimately derived from matter. There is no real distinction between matter and spirit; even man's soul is essentially material and not uniquely created by God. In ethical philosophy, materialism holds that material goods and interests, the pleasures of the body and emotional experience, are the only or at least the main reason for human existence. In social philosophy, the view that economics and this-worldly interests are the main functions of society.

BLASPHEMY. Speaking against God in a contemptuous, scornful, or abusive manner. Included under blasphemy are offenses committed by thought, word, or action. Serious contemptuous ridicule of the saints, sacred objects, or of persons consecrated to God is also blasphemous because God is indirectly attacked. Blasphemy is a grave violation of charity toward God. Its gravity may be judged by the capital punishment in the Old Testament, severe penalties of the Church, and in many cases also of the State for blasphemous speech or conduct. In order for a person to sin gravely in this manner, he must use blasphemous expressions and realize the contemptuous meaning of what he says or does. (Etym. Latin blasphemia, blasphemy; from Greek blasphēmein, to speak ill of.)

Is it "contemptuous ridicule" to ridicule a consecrated person who contemptuously ridicules their own consecration, or to speak out honestly against their unjust behavior?

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - cassini - 12-15-2017

(12-14-2017, 09:01 PM)Eric F Wrote: Disgusting ! The naked man actually look's more homo-erotic than starving, I mean seriously a naked man so weak from starving that he can't get up, but yet he has washboard abs ?

Well said Eric, if that guy is starving then maybe he is on a fast and they should leave him alone and stop stuffing him with the riches they enjoy in the Vatican these days. Their coffers must be bursting with the proceeds of church property and lands being sold off as redundant all over the world.

Of all the starving images I have seen over the years I have never seen one naked. It is an insult to the Holy Family and to the starving around the world.

RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - Pulvis - 12-15-2017

This smacks of the homo cult running the Curia! Cardinal CoCo-Puffs had a hand in this, i bet.  :@ :@ :@

How long oh Lord!