FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) (/showthread.php?tid=80709)

I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) - FultonFan - 01-05-2018

What is the proper, Traditional Catholic way to observe the relic?  (i.e. prayers, meditations, etc.)

RE: I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) - Credidi Propter - 01-05-2018

It’s an arm, isn’t it?  I’d wave at it. An arm that old isn’t likely to hold up to a handshake or a high five.

RE: I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) - Jeeter - 01-05-2018

I'll say with respect, and reflection upon his life and what he did to attain sainthood.

A fist bump would probably be a bad idea.

RE: I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) - JacafamalaRedux - 01-05-2018

I don't exactly know what's the "proper" way, but If it's a whole arm in some sort of big tabernacle sized enclosure, I'd just bless myself in front of it and say a prayer. Often when it's a little bone chip or something like that and it's in a reliquary, the priest has us come up (like during Communion), and give it a little kiss. 

A good general rule in life when you're not sure: when in doubt, hang towards the back and see what the others do.

RE: I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) - jovan66102 - 01-05-2018

What Jaca said. But seriously, and with nothing but respect and affection, I feel you're over-thinking this. I've venerated a relic of the True Cross with less thought. Pay your respects in a way you see other people doing it, or if there's a handout with suggestions, follow that. Invoke him, and give thanks to God for his saintly life. And give thanks to God for this awesome (word used correctly!) opportunity.

RE: I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) - RyanPatrick - 01-05-2018

I will buck the trend and say that the amount of thought you are putting into this is reasonable and good -- and it is shame more Catholics do not consider the proper traditions and postures appropriate for the veneration of holy relics or other things. What I would caution against is anxiety at not doing it properly. Put in some time to research how relics are to be venerated (usually with a kiss whilst kneeling, although what is an option with the cross-country tour of St. Francis' arm is unknown to me as of now), and do your best to remember and do it.

RE: I'll be seeing St. Francis Xavier's relic this evening. How to visit properly(?) - In His Love - 01-05-2018

(01-05-2018, 02:07 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: A good general rule in life when you're not sure: when in doubt, hang towards the back and see what the others do.

- Proverbs 32:1

Side note: the guide put out by the CCO (the organizers of the relic tour) has said not to touch anything to the relic except a small prayer card (which I would imagine is given out to visitors), to protect the relic.