FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? (/showthread.php?tid=80878)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - BobR67 - 01-22-2018

I feel your pain. I travel over an hour twice a month to a Byzantine Catholic parish to get way from the NO. I am thinking about cutting tries with the Knights of Columbus also. Everything seems to be out of control.

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - Maldon - 01-24-2018

Divine Office, Divine Office, Divine Office.
Adoration 
Rosary

The Church has had to survive through tremendous crises over the last 2000 years. Always remember that in such times, there were people who led lives of prayer, recited the divine office devoutly, went about their duties prayerfully, and in doing so day after day they gave life to the Church hierarchy, often corrupt, became saints, left us wonderful examples to follow, and generally saved the day as well as themselves. You can do this.

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - VoxClamantis - 01-26-2018

Something to do while you're suffering in the pews:

[Image: NovusOrdoBingo.png]

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - jovan66102 - 01-26-2018

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - Poche - 01-28-2018

(01-22-2018, 07:16 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: I am highly afraid to think of doing that...

For the Indian Catholic clergy, Pope Francis and Vatican II have been the greatest things that have ever happened in the history of the Catholic Church. And mostly all the Catholics are in open support of liberal Catholicism (not only from our parish but all the Catholic Unions in our country)... The situation is as bad as that in Ireland...

And yeah, though the clergy put a façade of being "open", "merciful", "considerate", etc., etc., we can't dare to antagonize them... The clergy has literally branded "Lefebrvists" as "lunatics"... And my Parish Priest is one of them...

He has made the lives of many Catholics involved with the SSPX miserable and disparaged them...

So, I don't have any option but to stick with my current parish else I would lose my religion....

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I can see organizing a group friendly to Catholic tradition without coming across as hostile to the Pope and Vatican II.

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - JacafamalaRedux - 01-28-2018

(01-22-2018, 02:26 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Let me tell you what I've done. Whilst it's true that I now live in a very Tradition friendly Diocese, with reverent, according to the rubrics, beautiful NO Masses, and solid, orthodox Catholic preaching from the pulpit, it has not always been so. For almost 20 years I lived in a Parish that had been wreckovated by the Pastor, a hale and hearty, athletic sort who sat on his 'Presider's Throne' whilst laypeople (mostly women) distributed Holy Communion. I heard him preach on every left-wing SJW subject you can think of. One time I confessed immediately before Mass, and by Communion time, I was so angry at the abuses taking place that I could not receive.

So what did I do? I confessed regularly. I went to Mass every week, and daily if my schedule permitted it. I sat in the back pew and said my Rosary or recited my (1962) Breviary, trying not to look at the Altar except at the Elevations. I paid as little attention as possible to the heretical swill being spouted from the pulpit.

Early on was pre-'Trad Internet', so I made sure that I had solid reading from Trad papers and magazines. I continued to study Traditionally theology and Church history. I found, and made friends with, the most conservative/Traditional leaning people in the Parish. I was a thorn in the side of the 'Respect Life Committee' who never discussed life issues, but were big on furthering the communist revolution in Latin America.

When the internet grew, I found Traditional websites, magazines, reviews, etc. (and FishEaters!!!) online and continued  my reading. I managed to maintain my faith and grow as a Traditionalist despite it all. I like to think that God is rewarding me by leading me to the Diocese of Lincoln where, by His grace, I expect to die in the authentic Catholic Faith.

Congrats, I don't think I could've done that myself. 

Quote:"and by Communion time, I was so angry at the abuses taking place that I could not receive."

Eh, righteous anger doesn't count.

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - BobR67 - 01-28-2018

I have a similar situation. I live in rural Ohio. 18 miles to the next closest parish which is no better the the NO parish I belong to. I drive 45 miles to a Byzantine Catholic Church at least once a month. The closest SSPX is over 80 miles away. TLM is is about 60 miles away. So I am trying to figure out what to do myself. I read a lot and do my best to be a visible traditionalist at mass and in my other activities. I have yet to find another traditionalist in my current parish.

This is a great thread.

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - jovan66102 - 01-28-2018

(01-28-2018, 07:12 AM)Jacafamala Wrote:
Quote:"and by Communion time, I was so angry at the abuses taking place that I could not receive."

Eh, righteous anger doesn't count.

I learned that not long after. I had gotten angry again and was unable to receive Communion. I went on a road trip to my home town that led through St Mary's, KS. I stopped at the SSPX, found a Priest and confessed. When I confessed it, the response was 'Righteous anger, Holy anger!'

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - JacafamalaRedux - 01-28-2018

(01-22-2018, 03:36 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: ✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

I am a Roman Catholic from India and unfortunately, in our country all Traditional Catholic movements have been suppressed... I stay next to a Catholic parish which is heavily steeped into the "Vatican II" ideals - liberalism, modernism, religious indifferentism, pagan infiltration into Church practices (considering the fact that India is a Hindu-majority country and in order to please the Hindus and fundamentalist groups - the clergy in India had come up with a Hinduized rite of Catholic Mass (now abrogated due to lack of interest)). To add to all the woes, "Catholics" in India don't seem to give a damn to Catholicism or  Catholic Traditions but, care a lot for ethnic and pagan traditions all of a sudden...!

At the same time, I feel a call to be a part of the various associations such as the "Legionaries of Mary", Catholic prayer groups, etc... Rest of the associations are more into feminism and social justice pressure groups who are more into criticizing our country's patriarchical male-dominant society, the incumbent government and Mr. Prime Minister (ad hominem attacks as to why he did not consummate his marriage, etc...?‍♂️) I'm not interested to be associated with such liberal pressure groups at all...

But yeah, I want to be a part of parish activities... But, no TLM, no Traditional-leaning Catholics, lack of frequent confessions available and Novus Ordo Masses full of distractions, combined with all the problems stated above is what describes our parish...

What should I do...? I'm getting frequent headaches thinking about this...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

You have it bad, maybe worse than many (but not all) here because for you it involves not having the Latin Mass chapel in your area. But I'd venture to say that many (if not most?) feel a certain amount of isolation and trad-loneliness. Because even if we get to a traditional church on the weekend, the rest of the week might be spent removed from like minded people. At least that's my true in my case.The answer is to come back strong, pray harder, love your devotions, do what you can. I can attest to the power of the rosary and the scapular. Just do all you can to carry on. God will reward you in time and He will give you the graces to persevere.

RE: Survive in a Novus Ordo parish inspite of having Traditional Catholic leanings...? - AndreasIosephus - 01-29-2018

(01-22-2018, 09:00 AM)Eric F Wrote: Would the Syro-Malabar or Syra-Malankara Rites be an option ?

(01-22-2018, 06:20 PM)Melkite Wrote: Are there any un-latinized Syro-Malabar or Malankara parishes close to you?  Do any of them adhere to the authentic Syriac tradition?  If possible, I would suggest going to those in preference to a traditional Latin parish.  The Syriac rite and spirituality is part of the patrimony of India - don't let it be wiped out if you can help it!  The Latin church didn't mind suppressing it when Portugal colonized Kerala, it is not good that the Latins should have a greater foothold in India than the Syriac churches, as they would cry foul if an Eastern rite ever poached away its own people in the West.  I'm sorry to say it, but some traditional Latin Catholics are very chauvinist about their rite.  Perhaps a strong Syro-Malabar church could absorb the lax Roman parishes into it one day.

Firstly, before I start my answer, I would like the audience to know that I would identify myself as a "Syrian Christian Roman Catholic adhering to the Roman Rite"....

I was baptized under the jurisdiction of the Syro-Malabar Church since my father is one... However, my parents and I have been adhering to the Latin Rite (Novus Ordo) - parish of ours for a variety of reasons...

I do have the option of attending and becoming a member of the Syro - Malabar Church (not so much in the case of the Syro - Malankara Church), since the Eastern Catholic Churches in India are more ethnic-based (due to our descent from the Saint Thomas Christians and the newly, not-so-popular theory of us having Semitic origins) and ancestor-lineage based... This means that Catholics of other rites can attend our Masses and receive Sacraments as per our rite but not become an official member of the Syro-Malabar Church except for marriage (e.g. my mother was baptized under the Latin Rite but she became a member after her marriage to my father who was raised inthe Syro-Malabar Rite)...

But yes, my parents and I are reluctant to be members due to the horrible abuse of powers within the hierarchy... The Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Churches are fraught with many gross scandals of moral, sexual and financial nature... So much that there are reports of many priests who extract money from parishioners, secure land deals illegally and run away to another remote parish where they're protected by their bishops... Till now I've heard of "runaway" brides but we've come to know about "runaway priests"... The current Patriarch who heads the Syro Malabar Church is himself involved in a land deal scam and there are calls by various groups for his resignation.... 

And for every sort of Sacrament to be performed - the priests are known for asking exorbitant amount of rupees... Which not all of us can afford... And the priests and religious are known for living a lavish, extravagant lifestyle...

@Melkite : I wish I could agree with you but the Eastern Catholic Churches have now bowed down to the Latin-Rite dominated Bishops' Conference to spread their power and jurisdiction and expand their "holy" activities... And a lot of pagan practices have creeped into the Eastern Catholic Rites...

In a nutshell... The Eastern Catholic Churches though conservative are scandal and corruption-ridden yet they do it more overtly... The Latin Rite (Novus Ordo) Churches are liberal as well as scandal and corruption-ridden yet they're tucked under the carpet...

So yes... As much as I and many other Eastern Catholics are reluctant to be associated with their respective rites, we still cannot let go of our "Syrian Christian" identity till our last breath.... But I can say for sure that St. Thomas the Apostle would definitely not be pleased with the state of Christianity in India... :(

P.S. I harbour no ill-will against the Catholic Clergy (Latin or Eastern Rite) but it's high time, the truth is revealed (rather being revealed) if Catholicism has to flourish...