FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Fish Fry on Good Friday - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fish Fry on Good Friday (/showthread.php?tid=81225)

Pages: 1 2

Fish Fry on Good Friday - angeltime - 03-05-2018

Pax et Bonum!  I'm hoping for some comments regarding a Fish Fry with veggies dinner being offered at a local NO parish on Good Friday after the readings and veneration of the Cross.  The cost per person is $15.00 and the proceeds go to local Catholic Schools and parish needs.  Friends I have who do attend this parish and I who do not, have a problem with this Fundraiser Event taking place first - on and because or connecting it to Good Friday - second immediately after the readings and veneration of the Cross.  Eating Fish has nothing to do with Good Friday itself, but is an act of penance for the individual - it seems to be a mixed up meaning to Good Friday to me - any thoughts??  Shouldnt people just go home and meditate or stay in the parish and pray quietly?  I have never heard of this before.....tks!  angeltime! :huh:

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - JacafamalaRedux - 03-05-2018

(03-05-2018, 04:25 PM)angeltime Wrote: Pax et Bonum!  I'm hoping for some comments regarding a Fish Fry with veggies dinner being offered at a local NO parish on Good Friday after the readings and veneration of the Cross.  The cost per person is $15.00 and the proceeds go to local Catholic Schools and parish needs.  Friends I have who do attend this parish and I who do not, have a problem with this Fundraiser Event taking place first - on and because or connecting it to Good Friday - second immediately after the readings and veneration of the Cross.  Eating Fish has nothing to do with Good Friday itself, but is an act of penance for the individual - it seems to be a mixed up meaning to Good Friday to me - any thoughts??  Shouldnt people just go home and meditate or stay in the parish and pray quietly?  I have never heard of this before.....tks!  angeltime! :huh:

That's what I would do; make it a quiet evening. After the Good Friday liturgy, I just go home, fix a simple meal and watch "The Passion of the Christ". I love Holy Week, the whole Triduum. Easter is my favourite time for sure.

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - Dominicus - 03-05-2018

Yeah, some other Lenten Friday sure but one of the most solemn days of the liturgical year? Nope.

I recommend following the old fasting laws if you can. Keep the fish for other Fridays. Good Friday is supposed to be solemn and somber not "let's get this over with and throw a party because technically we can". 

I afree with Jacafamala.

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - angeltime - 03-05-2018

(03-05-2018, 06:49 PM)Dominicus Wrote: Yeah, some other Lenten Friday sure but one of the most solemn days of the liturgical year? Nope.

I recommend following the old fasting laws if you can. Keep the fish for other Fridays. Good Friday is supposed to be solemn and somber not "let's get this over with and throw a party because technically we can". 

I afree with Jacafamala.
Peace.....I am actually disappointed that they are using Good Friday as a Fundraiser Event and throwing in the Fish Dinner - tacky/low bar.....tks for your comment!  God bless, angeltime :)

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - jovan66102 - 03-05-2018

Is this a one off or the culmination of a series of fish fries on all the Fridays of Lent? If the former, I agree it's in bad taste. If the latter, I've never known a parish that had Lenten fish fries not to have one on Good Friday.

(03-05-2018, 06:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Is this a one off or the culmination of a series of fish fries on all the Fridays of Lent? If the former, I agree it's in bad taste. If the latter, I've never known a parish that had Lenten fish fries not to have one on Good Friday.
Peace.....I don't know what they are doing, even if they eat fish at home on Fri or attend the Stations of the Cross on Friday nights during Lent - it would make more sense to have this kind of event (without the fish of course) after the Resurrection.....but not Good Friday.  As for the Stations, I have been told that in some parishes, there is no pause at the 12th Station where Jesus dies and no Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, between the Stations.  This I have never seen but it does sound like a short cut - let's get it done and lights out!  Honestly, no respect - I call it the Drive-Thru....God bless, angeltime :(

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - havok579257 - 03-05-2018

(03-05-2018, 07:04 PM)angeltime Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 06:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Is this a one off or the culmination of a series of fish fries on all the Fridays of Lent? If the former, I agree it's in bad taste. If the latter, I've never known a parish that had Lenten fish fries not to have one on Good Friday.
Peace.....I don't know what they are doing, even if they eat fish at home on Fri or attend the Stations of the Cross on Friday nights during Lent - it would make more sense to have this kind of event (without the fish of course) after the Resurrection.....but not Good Friday.  As for the Stations, I have been told that in some parishes, there is no pause at the 12th Station where Jesus dies and no Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, between the Stations.  This I have never seen but it does sound like a short cut - let's get it done and lights out!  Honestly, no respect - I call it the Drive-Thru....God bless, angeltime :(

The Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be are optional prayers for the stations of the cross.  They are extra that “can” be added.  So not adding those is not disrespectful.

(03-05-2018, 07:16 PM)havok579257 Wrote:

The Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be are optional prayers for the stations of the cross.  They are extra that “can” be added.  So not adding those is not disrespectful.
Peace....well, that is good to know however I do feel that no pause at the 12th Station is disrespectful and just the general rushy sense of things.  Anyhow, it is also alright to do the Stations at home on your own I understand.  It is not a must they are done in the Parish although one might receive an indulgence if done in the parish with a group??  angeltime :rolleyes:

(03-05-2018, 07:16 PM)havok579257 Wrote:

Peace.....I wonder why it is, that when we have optionals that we can choose to do or not, that we always seem to choose NOT DOING IT AT ALL EVER.....to me that is falling back/not taking the time that should be given to Jesus.  angeltime :huh:

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - gospel654 - 03-05-2018

I attend a parish that has fish frys on every Friday of Lent EXCEPT Good Friday. I agree that having a fish fry on Good Friday is inappropriate, ditto for the Fundraiser; on such a solemn day the latter in particular would seem to smack of "moneychangers in the Temple", and the former would seem to detract from the solemnity of the day. 
For what it's worth, I attend a parish where Mass is said in the vernacular, and not in Latin. I'm only pointing this out because the OP seemed to make a point that it was an "N.O." parish that was holding this Good Friday fish fry.