FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Fish Fry on Good Friday - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fish Fry on Good Friday (/showthread.php?tid=81225)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - angeltime - 03-05-2018

(03-05-2018, 07:40 PM)gospel654 Wrote: I attend a parish that has fish frys on every Friday of Lent EXCEPT Good Friday. I agree that having a fish fry on Good Friday is inappropriate, ditto for the Fundraiser; on such a solemn day the latter in particular would seem to smack of "moneychangers in the Temple", and the former would seem to detract from the solemnity of the day. 
For what it's worth, I attend a parish where Mass is said in the vernacular, and not in Latin. I'm only pointing this out because the OP seemed to make a point that it was an "N.O." parish that was holding this Good Friday fish fry.
Peace.....tks for yr comment!  Yes, is to be held at an NO parish - I have never seen this before as I mentioned and especially never at the Traditional Parish.  I am wondering if this may become a trendy thing with the NO parishes??  God bless, angeltime :s

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - jovan66102 - 03-05-2018

(03-05-2018, 07:16 PM)havok579257 Wrote: The Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be are optional prayers for the stations of the cross.  They are extra that “can” be added.  So not adding those is not disrespectful.

All vocal prayers are 'optional' for the Stations of the Cross. As MagisterMusicae explained recently,

Quote:In fact there is no such thing as a text of the Stations of the Cross for one good reason ...

The Stations do not require any vocal prayer.

Stations of the Cross are actually the 14 blessed wooden crosses erected officially by a bishop or his delegate. It has become common to include pictures or statuary to help use these, but those are extra, and in fact without the blessed and officially erected wooden cross, there are no Stations.

The necessary action to gain the plenary indulgence is to visit the 14 wooden Crosses and at each at least mentally pray or contemplate. You do not, in fact, even have to meditation on the station itself.

That means you can do a full Stations of the Cross is about 5 minutes if you wanted, or take 2 hours. Same indulgence.

Various artists have designed artwork, and various writers texts to aid this, but that is why there is no "text".

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - angeltime - 03-05-2018

(03-05-2018, 08:49 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 07:16 PM)havok579257 Wrote: The Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be are optional prayers for the stations of the cross.  They are extra that “can” be added.  So not adding those is not disrespectful.

All vocal prayers are 'optional' for the Stations of the Cross. As MagisterMusicae explained recently,

Quote:In fact there is no such thing as a text of the Stations of the Cross for one good reason ...

Stations of the Cross are actually the 14 blessed wooden crosses erected officially by a bishop or his delegate. It has become common to include pictures or statuary to help use these, but those are extra, and in fact without the blessed and officially erected wooden cross, there are no Stations.

The necessary action to gain the plenary indulgence is to visit the 14 wooden Crosses and at each at least mentally pray or contemplate. You do not, in fact, even have to meditation on the station itself.

That means you can do a full Stations of the Cross is about 5 minutes if you wanted, or take 2 hours. Same indulgence.

Various artists have designed artwork, and various writers texts to aid this, but that is why there is no "text".
Peace.....that is very interesting to know - a simple meditation at each Station - that seems very contemplative to me too!  All the rushing words and prayers seem to distract from any meditation.  I didnt know about the 14th Stn having the indulgence either!  It used to be the custom that a Franciscan Friar erected the Stations and blessed them, however I suppose that has changed to become more of the Bishop's responsibility with few Friars around.  (?)  Tks and God bless, angeltime :crucifix:

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - MagisterMusicae - 03-05-2018

(03-05-2018, 08:55 PM)angeltime Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 08:49 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Peace.....that is very interesting to know - a simple meditation at each Station - that seems very contemplative to me too!  All the rushing words and prayers seem to distract from any meditation.  I didnt know about the 14th Stn having the indulgence either!  It used to be the custom that a Franciscan Friar erected the Stations and blessed them, however I suppose that has changed to become more of the Bishop's responsibility with few Friars around.  (?)  Tks and God bless, angeltime :crucifix:

The indulgence is plenary of all 14 stations are done, whether publicly or privately. If one or more, but not all stations are done in one go, the indulgence is partial.

If privately one must visit each station. If publicly, at least the celebrant as proxy for everyone must visit each station.

The meditation must be on the Passion of Our Lord, but need not be on the station in question.

The original "plenary indulgence" was the Crusade to Jerusalem. The Franciscans asked for an obtained the first official other plenary indulgence for the stations to substitute for the Crusade for those unable to actually go. This is why they were originally a Franciscan devotion. With the extension of them beyond the Franciscan order, their erection was reserved to the bishop. The bishop can delegate a priest to erect a set of stations.

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - Dominicus - 03-06-2018

(03-05-2018, 06:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Is this a one off or the culmination of a series of fish fries on all the Fridays of Lent? If the former, I agree it's in bad taste. If the latter, I've never known a parish that had Lenten fish fries not to have one on Good Friday.

I was thinking it was the former. Ootherwise I agree.

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - Poche - 03-06-2018

Where I live they have them on Fridays during Lent but not during Good Friday.

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - angeltime - 03-06-2018

Peace....not too far off track - to say that there is a parish I am aware of but not near me, that removes their Holy Water all during Lent - I haven't heard of this before either. (?)  Yes, it is NO Parish....angeltime :huh:

RE: Fish Fry on Good Friday - Dominicus - 03-06-2018

(03-06-2018, 07:27 AM)angeltime Wrote: Peace....not too far off track - to say that there is a parish I am aware of but not near me, that removes their Holy Water all during Lent - I haven't heard of this before either. (?)  Yes, it is NO Parish....angeltime :huh:

Thats a liturgical abuse. If you can, perhaps notify the diocese.