FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
My Experience With The Novus Ordo - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: My Experience With The Novus Ordo (/showthread.php?tid=81691)

My Experience With The Novus Ordo - gospel654 - 04-07-2018

Hello, everyone; after reading many of the topics here on Fish Eaters about unpleasant experiences with the Novus Ordo Mass, I'd like to share mine: 

The parish I have been registered in since 1979 and consider my "hometown" parish practices the Novus Ordo Mass. Over the years the four priests that we have had within that timeframe have all regularly preached traditional Catholic values: 

Abortion is wrong, artificial contraception is wrong, divorce is wrong, the homosexual "lifestyle" is wrong . . . on this last one, about six years ago the priest at the time (the third since 1979) gave a homily in which he forcefully denounced homosexuality, during which at least two parishioners in different locations within the congregation stood up and walked out, visibly offended. This did not stop the priest. He merely paused, looked out over the congregation, and said "Well . . . I was told at seminary [he was ordained in 1978] that if someone didn't walk out of my homily at least once during my priesthood, then I wasn't doing my job." The priest then returned to his homily.  

To my knowledge this priest was also the only one of the four we've had since I've been there who would occasionally celebrate a Latin Mass-- it would be on a weeknight, usually a Thursday, if I remember correctly. 

The music of the liturgy is respectful; an organ and a choir; on very rare occasions there might be a guitar and other instruments, but the music and hymns remain respectful-- no "rock music" here. 

There are many activities for parishioners to participate in outside of Mass-- Bible studies, RCIA classes (current Catholics are encouraged to attend for catechetical refresher instruction, not just people planning to become Catholics), etc. 

Confession is offered every two weeks, and also by appointment if necessary. 

Most people receive Communion on the hand, which I know is not traditional, but receiving on the tongue is completely accepted here and some people do (both of our most recent catechumens received their First Communion on the tongue).

I just wanted to share this because I want people here to know that there ARE Novus Ordo parishes where traditional Catholic values are still taught and respected. Reading many topics here, I am quite frankly shocked that so many of you have apparently had very bad experiences with the N.O. Mass and with the parishes which practice them. I knew that there were such parishes out there, but not that there were so many of them. 

I do wonder if geographic location has anything do with it? I live in the Upper Midwest of the U.S. (actually more East than West, but not located on the East Coast), and people tend to run fairly conservative here, at least on social issues, though they'll often vote Democrat on issues of labor rights and healthcare. 

I've no problem with the Traditional Latin Mass, and if Holy Mother Church were to someday return to the TLM as the "standard" Mass, I would accept this in a heartbeat; I just wanted people to know, again, that there are N.O. parishes out there that stick to traditional Catholic values while performing a Novus Ordo Mass. 

Thank you for letting me share.  :)

RE: My Experience With The Novus Ordo - jovan66102 - 04-07-2018

Whilst I am a Trad to the bone and would attend only the TLM if I could, I share your opinions. Of course, as I've pointed out, I live in the Diocese of Lincoln. The NO is celebrated strictly according to the rubrics, there are no altar girls, little blue haired lady EMHCs, or nuns in pant suits. Communion on the tongue is encouraged. Preaching is solidly orthodox. We are in a Diocesan Rosary Crusade right now to pray for the establishment of Perpetual Adoration in as many Churches as possible.

And, as a result, our Diocesan seminary is full and we often lead the country in the number of ordinations, despite only having about 96,000 Catholics. Our parochial schools are always staffed in part by (habited) nuns and every school has a Priest on staff. Religion classes are always taught by a Priest or a nun.

We have 134 parishes, with 141 Diocesan Priests and ten religious Priests. We have only two permanent deacons, who have both moved into the Diocese because none of our Bishops have ever ordained one since they were reintroduced by the Council. We have 148 female religious, which includes at least one contemplative Order.

Is it what I would like to see in an ideal world? No. Is it amazingly good considering the the Church in the rest of the US and much of the world? Yes.

RE: My Experience With The Novus Ordo - angeltime - 04-07-2018

(04-07-2018, 09:06 AM)gospel654 Wrote: Hello, everyone; after reading many of the topics here on Fish Eaters about unpleasant experiences with the Novus Ordo Mass, I'd like to share mine: 

The parish I have been registered in since 1979 and consider my "hometown" parish practices the Novus Ordo Mass. Over the years the four priests that we have had within that timeframe have all regularly preached traditional Catholic values: 

Abortion is wrong, artificial contraception is wrong, divorce is wrong, the homosexual "lifestyle" is wrong . . . on this last one, about six years ago the priest at the time (the third since 1979) gave a homily in which he forcefully denounced homosexuality, during which at least two parishioners in different locations within the congregation stood up and walked out, visibly offended. This did not stop the priest. He merely paused, looked out over the congregation, and said "Well . . . I was told at seminary [he was ordained in 1978] that if someone didn't walk out of my homily at least once during my priesthood, then I wasn't doing my job." The priest then returned to his homily.  

To my knowledge this priest was also the only one of the four we've had since I've been there who would occasionally celebrate a Latin Mass-- it would be on a weeknight, usually a Thursday, if I remember correctly. 

The music of the liturgy is respectful; an organ and a choir; on very rare occasions there might be a guitar and other instruments, but the music and hymns remain respectful-- no "rock music" here. 

There are many activities for parishioners to participate in outside of Mass-- Bible studies, RCIA classes (current Catholics are encouraged to attend for catechetical refresher instruction, not just people planning to become Catholics), etc. 

Most people receive Communion on the hand, which I know is not traditional, but receiving on the tongue is completely accepted here and some people do (both of our most recent catechumens received their First Communion on the tongue).

I just wanted to share this because I want people here to know that there ARE Novus Ordo parishes where traditional Catholic values are still taught and respected. Reading many topics here, I am quite frankly shocked that so many of you have apparently had very bad experiences with the N.O. Mass and with the parishes which practice them. I knew that there were such parishes out there, but not that there were so many of them. 

I do wonder if geographic location has anything do with it? I live in the Upper Midwest of the U.S. (actually more East than West, but not located on the East Coast), and people tend to run fairly conservative here, at least on social issues, though they'll often vote Democrat on issues of labor rights and healthcare. 

I've no problem with the Traditional Latin Mass, and if Holy Mother Church were to someday return to the TLM as the "standard" Mass, I would accept this in a heartbeat; I just wanted people to know, again, that there are N.O. parishes out there that stick to traditional Catholic values while performing a Novus Ordo Mass. 

Peace.....that's nice that your parish has managed to maintain more tradition than not.  In many cases, what has happened, is that pastors have changed and with them, they brought in their new ideas and plans.  So, this is how parishes became more watered-down.  I have seen where a new pastor came and had statues removed to the basement of the parish and also took out kneeling benches that were in front of the statues saying, "it makes our Protestant brothers and sisters feel more welcome."  This hurt many people who helped to pay for statues, kneelers and general upkeep of the parish.  In my mind, if a pastor is transferred it is the parishners who are left there and things should remain the same especially when the new pastor can be transferred again!  So things became this way as a result of something or someone else - it is not just cut and dry.  If one day your pastor changes, it may bring changes that are not liked also.  Hopefully not but just to make you aware.....God bless, angeltime :heart:

RE: My Experience With The Novus Ordo - gospel654 - 04-07-2018

Some other thoughts:

For Jovan66102--

Our second priest, in the mid-1990s-- probably the most "liberal" of the four we've had, though his teachings from the pulpit were still in line with traditional values --did allow altar girls for a few years, and the practice was continued by the third priest (oddly he was otherwise the most conservative of the four we've had), but then this practice was stopped with our current, fourth priest (who is a convert from Lutheranism-- go figure!). Honestly, though, I think the bishops in our diocese over the years have had more to do with allowing/disallowing this particular practice rather than the individual priests.

Also, though we do have fish fries during Lent followed by Stations of the Cross, we DO NOT have either on Good Friday (I read with disdain here on FE a few weeks back that some N.O. parishes do have a fish fry on Good Friday).

We do not have any nuns assigned to our parish at present, although up until about five years ago we did. She was very elderly and has since died (may perpetual light shine upon her). She didn't wear a habit, but she did dress very conservatively (no pantsuits!).

We do have an older deacon assisting our priest.

For angeltime--

I take your point about priests. With the exception of the altar girl issue raised above, we have been fortunate so far to be blessed with bishops who are also conservative. Over the years, people in my parish have occasionally complained to whoever our bishop has been at the time, and the bishop has almost always backed up the priest. I do seem to recall one time where our third priest alluded to the idea that he might mandate that everyone in my parish, if they wished to receive the Eucharist, would have to do so on the tongue; there was quite a row about it, complaints were made to the bishop, and our priest was forced to back down. But this is the only time in my recollection where the bishop did not back the priest when it came to more traditional practices.

RE: My Experience With The Novus Ordo - MaryTN - 04-07-2018

(04-07-2018, 09:06 AM)gospel654 Wrote: Hello, everyone; after reading many of the topics here on Fish Eaters about unpleasant experiences with the Novus Ordo Mass, I'd like to share mine: 

I have lived in many different towns in several states.  I have attended Mass in more than one church in every town I lived in (if there was more than one Catholic Church).  Always NO.  We have had several priests I liked very much, who gave good homilies.  No dancing.  But I do not recall a single homily since VII that talked about divorce, homosexuality, infidelity, abortion, the  Ten Commandments, Hell, what you have to do to achieve salvation.  Very, very few even use the word "sin".  What did they preach about?  One priest gave great Bible history lessons.  Most talk about being nice, following Jesus, being kind to your fellow human being. 
My current pastor is much better than most.  He talks about avoiding sin and occasionally he actually names the sin.   He talks about our responsibility to our fellow man to avoid sin.  Two of the three priests at our parish talk about the importance of family, the importance of parents and the importance of being a good example to others.  Still, no one ever uses the word "hell".  One of our priests became a priest after his wife passed away, so he made it clear in his very first homily that he IS qualified to talk about marriage and the difficulties involved in fidelity, kindness, childrearing, and such. - he wasn't saying that other priests were unqualified, he was saying that people who object to priests talking about marriage since they don't live thru it can't say that about him, they can't get away with dismissing the teachings because those teachings come from a celibate man. 
I would very much like a more holy experience.  It seems to be dumbed down to make it palatable to the greatest number of people.  Yes, I do remember pre-Vatican II, and it is different now.  Maybe priests are trying to please parents who don't want to have to explain to the children 'Mama, what does abortion mean'?

MaryTN--

"Maybe priests are trying to please parents who don't want to have to explain to the children 'Mama, what does abortion mean'?"

Every year prior to the annual March for Life commemorating the stain of Roe vs. Wade, abortion is mentioned in church and children are encouraged to participate in local demonstrations against it.

Continuing the "uncomfortable subject" thought, our second priest, who had been ordained around 1956, once gave a homily where he said, with some understandable displeasure, that he never thought he would have to say the word "condom" in church.
He then proceeded to speak out against premarital sex, and reminded the young people to remain chaste and clean; using prophylactics did not make it okay (hence the reason why he mentioned "condom").

RE: My Experience With The Novus Ordo - jovan66102 - 04-07-2018

(04-07-2018, 09:06 AM)gospel654 Wrote: Confession is offered every two weeks, and also by appointment if necessary. 

I just noticed this. Every two weeks? We have confession daily before Mass for 15 minutes on weekdays, for an half hour before weekend Masses, and during Lent, Father was in the box (we don't have a 'reconciliation room') basically at every opportunity, during Adoration, after Stations on Friday, etc.

jovan66102--

We do offer more opportunities for Confession during Lent; I know compared to what most "Trads" are used to/prefer, every other weekend for Confession may seem rather sparse; I thought we were doing pretty good compared to what I've read recently on FishEaters concerning how some N.O. parishes apparently barely offer the Sacrament at all.

I guess not:(