FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Is this a mortal sin? - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Is this a mortal sin? (/showthread.php?tid=81787)

Is this a mortal sin? - tradguy - 04-14-2018

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Is this a mortal sin?[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]At work today I got frustrated and angry.  I cursed by saying "dammit to hell".  Later on in the day I also said GD. I was wondering if i am guilty of mortal sin and whether or not to receive Holy Communion tomorrow at Sunday Mass?[/font][/font]

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - angeltime - 04-14-2018

(04-14-2018, 04:28 PM)tradguy Wrote: [font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Is this a mortal sin?[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]At work today I got frustrated and angry.  I cursed by saying "dammit to hell".  Later on in the day I also said GD. I was wondering if i am guilty of mortal sin and whether or not to receive Holy Communion tomorrow at Sunday Mass?[/font][/font]
Peace.....my first thought was do you have a short fuse or is something really badgering you at work leading to so much frustration?  Confession of course followed by Mass and start again.....God bless, angeltime+

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - SacraCor714 - 04-14-2018

I would say, if these words just slipped out by accident, then it is not a mortal sin. However, if you were thinking about saying them and then decided to say them out loud, that would be a mortal sin.

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - tradguy - 04-14-2018

Yeah I was real stressed out about things at work and it kinda just slipped out. I regretted saying it immediately after I have a bad temper and anger problems.

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - Justin Alphonsus - 04-14-2018

(04-14-2018, 09:38 PM)tradguy Wrote: Yeah I was real stressed out about things at work and it kinda just slipped out.  I regretted saying it immediately after I have a bad temper and anger problems.

If you are contrite, confess and go receive communion? If this is a really bad habit, and you more or less unconsciously said this, then I would say at best it is a venial sin. The next time this happens, just stop and say and Ave Maria and then mention it in confession.

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - angeltime - 04-14-2018

(04-14-2018, 09:38 PM)tradguy Wrote: Yeah I was real stressed out about things at work and it kinda just slipped out.  I regretted saying it immediately after I have a bad temper and anger problems.
:pray2: :incense:

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - Poche - 04-15-2018

In this case I recommend that you say the Divine praises and just go with mass as usual.

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - Poche - 04-15-2018

(04-15-2018, 01:34 AM)Poche Wrote:

In this case I recommend that you say the Divine praises and just go with mass as usual.

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - angeltime - 04-15-2018

(04-14-2018, 05:32 PM)angeltime Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 04:28 PM)tradguy Wrote: [font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Is this a mortal sin?[/font][/font]

Peace.....my first thought was do you have a short fuse or is something really badgering you at work leading to so much frustration?  Confession of course followed by Mass and start again.....God bless, angeltime+
Peace.....I thought it might be a good way of breaking the habit of using these words or phrases when you are angry or frustrated, to think or say, God help me or Gosh darn, or Mother - I used to work with a guy years ago who always said, Son on the Beach - ??  I don't mean for you to use that, because it still implies the same, but to reach out to God, or Mother, is asking for help.  *I'm not really keen on Gosh darn, because it to me, also implies the same as what you said*  God bless, angeltime :heart:

RE: Is this a mortal sin? - Dominicus - 04-15-2018

While that is using the Lord's name in vain, I don't think it would really be a mortal sin unless you were intentionally blaspheming God. It sounds to me that that wasnt your intent so i'd say it's probably venial. In any case, no one here can read your soul.

If it's really weighing you down, confession never hurts. Take it to a priest.