FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 (/showthread.php?tid=81871)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 - 1stvermont2ndvermont3rdvermont - 04-21-2018

Does anyone have information on what the churches stance was on evolution in 1950? or what the majority of Catholics believed on origins in 1950?

thanks.

RE: Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 - Dominicus - 04-21-2018

As ive mentioned. The Church does not now and never has had any official stance on a matter not directly relating to matters of faith and morals. Popes and priests may have expressed their personal beliefs but they are never binding on Catholics to believe. This hasnt changed in 70 years.

All that's required to believe is that God created the universe ex nihilo, he created Adam and Eve, infused them with immortal souls, and they sinned against Him thus bringing original sin to their descendents.

RE: Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 - 1stvermont2ndvermont3rdvermont - 04-21-2018

(04-21-2018, 01:03 PM)Dominicus Wrote: As ive mentioned. The Church does not now and never has had any official stance on a matter not directly relating to matters of faith and morals. Popes and priests may have expressed their personal beliefs but they are never binding on Catholics to believe. This hasnt changed in 70 years.

All that's required to believe is that God created the universe ex nihilo, he created Adam and Eve, infused them with immortal souls, and they sinned against Him thus bringing original sin to their descendents.

so than the ccc's statements are not binding correct? and so no stance is made that says evolution or the big bang is constant  with the bible?

thanks.

RE: Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 - 1stvermont2ndvermont3rdvermont - 04-21-2018

So I emailed the vatican and got this response.

The Catholic Church has never taken an official position explicitly on the Big Bang or evolution. All of the statements favorable to the Big Bang hypothesis or evolution have been made in a non-authoritative context. On the other hand, there is a large body of extremely authoritative teaching that upholds the fiat creation of all things and, rightly expounded, excludes Big Bang cosmology and biological evolution. The only official permission that the Magisterium has given in the encyclical letter of Pope Pius XII Humani generis was permission for Catholic scholars to examine the evidence for and against the evolutionary hypothesis, not to believe or teach it. However, just as papal permission to allow discussion of birth control was interpreted by most Western Bishops as permission to practice it, so permission to discuss evolution was perceived as permission to believe and teach theistic evolution. The difference is that the true Catholic doctrine of creation is waiting for its Humanae Vitae moment--which must come, because God cannot contradict Himself.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please read the article "The Traditional Doctrine of Creation" on the Kolbe website for an introduction to the authoritative teaching of the Church on creation.

Yours in Christ through the Immaculata,

Hugh Owen

RE: Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 - For Petes Sake - 04-21-2018

There was no death before the fall. Not sure how it would be possible to reconcile evolution with this.

RE: Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 - havok579257 - 04-21-2018

Who cares? Like I honestly mean that. Who cares how God created the universe. Does it matter in the scheme of things. I mean my personal thought it, it doesn’t matter. I just don’t have an opinion on the matter and just say, God created the universe. How he chose to was fine and I will know for certain if I am blessed enough to make to heaven some day. It doesn’t change anything and there are more important things to ponder.

(04-21-2018, 02:36 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: There was no death before the fall. Not sure how it would be possible to reconcile evolution with this.

This is not necessarily the case. God created man to be immortal by infusing him with His grace, animals however were never immortal. When man sinned, he lost God's grace thus excluding him from His original immortality.

This is a common misunderstanding based on largely protestant assumptions that man's nature was changed after the Fall.

(04-21-2018, 04:14 PM)Dominicus Wrote:
(04-21-2018, 02:36 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: There was no death before the fall. Not sure how it would be possible to reconcile evolution with this.

This is not necessarily the case. God created man to be immortal by infusing him with His grace, animals however were never immortal. When man sinned, he lost God's grace thus excluding him from His original immortality.

This is a common misunderstanding based on largely protestant assumptions that man's nature was changed after the Fall.
1 corinthians 15.26 calls death the enemy. God made all things originally and called it "good" could he say this of his enemy? could god call a creation with animal death good in the first place? would this not go against his own word in proverbs 12.10. Did not death enter by mans sin as Romans 5 12-14 says. Genesis 1 29-30 says animals were to be vegetarian as well as man. In gods good creation he wanted animals to multiply, not to die gen 1 24-25.

30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food”; and it was so31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

RE: Churches Stance on Evolution 1950 - MaryTN - 04-21-2018

(04-21-2018, 07:52 AM)1stvermont2ndvermont3rdvermont Wrote: Does anyone have information on what the churches stance was on evolution in 1950? or what the majority of Catholics believed on origins in 1950?

thanks.

My brothers were in Catholic school in the 50's.  Me, the 60's.  We were all taught about evolution, dinosaurs, and all modern sciences.  Our parents also knew this stuff.
On an aside, can you imagine.....one little Sister, with a class full of 30-40 children, teaching all subjects to those children, day in and day out?  Heroic.

This is why we reject Sola Scriptura.