FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums
Liturgical music - Printable Version

+- FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Church (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Catholicism (https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Liturgical music (/showthread.php?tid=82004)

Liturgical music - BobR67 - 05-03-2018

Is there a book or some kind of list of what music is to be used in diffrent liturgical seasons? This would be for a TLM. 
The parish doesn't have a music director and has a hodge podge choir. We are looking to start a TLM. I have some what of a music background, but this is a bit out of my league. 
I am new to this parish and Fr. asked me to get the TLM preperations off the ground. It will be a year before he plans for the TLM to be celebrated.

RE: Liturgical music - angeltime - 05-03-2018

(05-03-2018, 09:08 PM)BobR67 Wrote: Is there a book or some kind of list of what music is to be used in diffrent liturgical seasons? This would be for a TLM. 
The parish doesn't have a music director and has a hodge podge choir. We are looking to start a TLM. I have some what of a music background, but this is a bit out of my league. 
I am new to this parish and Fr. asked me to get the TLM preperations off the ground. It will be a year before he plans for the TLM to be celebrated.
Peace.....Adoremus hymn book might be helpful and latinmass.com might provide some helpful instructions.

God bless, angeltime Heart 

Latin Mass

RE: Liturgical music - jovan66102 - 05-03-2018

Contact the FSSP &/or SSPX.

RE: Liturgical music - MagisterMusicae - 05-04-2018

The Church Music Association of America is a good resource.

My recommendation, unless you will only be having Low Masses, don't bother with learning hymns. Learn the Gregorian Chant well and get people to sing it.

That was precisely what Pope St. Pius X wanted : that the faithful learn and sing the main parts of the Mass in Gregorian Chant.

In the meantime you could always have the organ played in the interludes, or for a processional and recessional.

Once the Gregorian is learned, then maybe some hymns. Again, I would first learn the Gregorian hymns, not the popular ones. This is not because popular hymns are bad, but because when people start here, they often get stuck focusing on learning more and more of these for variety, people get stuck on their favorites, many properly improper hymns creep in, and as a result no one ever devotes the necessary time to the Gregorian which is the foundation of the Sung Mass.

So, I'd learn a Kyrie, a few Marian Hymns (Salve Regina, Alma Redemptoris Mater, Ave Regina Cælorum, Regina Cæli), a few other good Gregorian pieces and hymns, get a Sung Mass going, or at least have the faithful sing a simple Kyriale.

This keeps it all very simple. Once they've got this down, branch out to more Kyriales, and more Gregorian hymns. Then finally, you can start introducing popular hymns. In that order you will build a very good balance and a group that loves to sing and sings well.

One good resource might be the Parish Book of Chant (PDF) by CMAA which has things for the TLM and NO.

RE: Liturgical music - jovan66102 - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 12:54 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: That was precisely what Pope St. Pius X wanted : that the faithful learn and sing the main parts of the Mass in Gregorian Chant.
And what V II ordered, but we know how that worked out! Angry

RE: Liturgical music - MagisterMusicae - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 12:57 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 12:54 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: That was precisely what Pope St. Pius X wanted : that the faithful learn and sing the main parts of the Mass in Gregorian Chant.

Well, it did, but the Kumbaya Liturgical Reform Commission probably put it in such strong words as :

"It is essential that the faithful learn to sing the most important part of the Mass, nevertheless, where pastoral considerations deem it reasonable they can omit singing, marry a second time and if they discern in their own heart they are worthy of Communion can take it in their hands and give it to their Protestant spouse."

I forget the exact reference ...  Big Grin

LOL

RE: Liturgical music - The Tax Collector - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 12:57 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

In a typical rural or small town parish across North America from the 1900’s to the 1950’s, how often was the high mass being celebrated versus the low mass?  Was the sung mass the exception or the rule?  I ask because I just found pictures of my parents church, taken in the 1940’s; there was an organ, but these were very simple and poor people; I cannot picture many of them having a missal let alone chanting the mass. Just curious.

Well, in my limited experience, since I was only in my late teens when the vernacular was introduced, and I only attended Mass after becoming an extreme Anglo-Catholic in my early teens, it wasn't unusual. Most of my Mass attendance was in small Churches in rural Kansas, and whilst High Mass was almost never seen for lack of ministers, the sung Mass at the main Mass on Sunday was fairly standard.

However, because we were quite near the Jesuit Seminary in St Mary's (now the SSPX Academy), Christmas was usually a full High Mass because the transitional minor Orders were still conferred and the seminarians would fan out to the surrounding Parishes on their Christmas holiday to help out.

RE: Liturgical music - greatdame - 05-04-2018

SSPX has a Traditional hymnal. Go to Angelus Press. Also, there are settings for Gregorian Chant for the various seasons in the back of the 1953 St. Andrews Missal, so I assume other old or reprinted Missals would also have them. Much as people avoid the Sede Vacantists, the expert in my opinion, on Tridentine liturgical music would be Rev. Anthony Cekada. He continues to write settings for the Masses at Sgg.org and there are some audio samples of his work. You could write to him. Eventually something from all these little dissenting groups will come together when we finally have a holy Pope. And Pius V and Pius X were effective for a long time. The Enemy is always there to dismantle it and will be until the end of time. It is how we maintain and persevere and fight for The Faith that God marks.